Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Nov 20, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Dougie
Imagineer

Dougie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Last week as i was doing my shopping i grabbed canned veg, sandwich paste, a mixture of jelly babies/mints etc... also tinned puddings, beans,spaghetti etc and put into a trolley by a special donation stand just out side Tesco. Granted it was mostly Tesco own label but there was about 15 cans and four packets of sweets but it only came to just over £10...

Even a can or two can help.
Dougie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Lovely reminder 😊

Our local foodbank is apparently quite well stocked. But we donated a huge amount of 'treats' including choccies, savoury treats, sanitary items, and gifts last week. Its going to be spread between the women's refuge and the foodbank. I got my children to choosea number of items that they thought were important, and meant things to them. We're incredibly lucky to be able to afford to donate what we did, but hope it puts a smile on someone's faces this Christmas. We also bought several Lynx/ Dove/ Nivea gift sets as i think the teenage boys often miss out (and that's what I've got, so quite conscious of this age group).

We've supported our local women's refuge a lot over the years, as I witnessed an attempted murder when I was nearly 16... the lady was from the refuge and I helped to look after her (and her baby and 12yr old daughter) and gave her first aid. Its a cause very close to my heart ❤

ETA, we also donated Christmas decorations and gift wrap/ tags and bags as they were on the 'wanted' list too x

Edited at 10:19 PM.
TheHughesCrew is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Wee_Red
Imagineer

Wee_Red's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Labboy View Post
Always donate because I know how hard it is for some people, my local barber has a Xmas tree where you take a tag off and buy the present for someone, great idea.
Our church does this - it's a cracking idea, isn't it?

So glad many people have pointed out the need for toiletries - I helped coordinate a bank out of the school during lockdown and they were the things people really seemed to appreciate. After the first couple of weeks, people were open to making requests for toiletries, it's a shame there's such a stigma attached to admitting you can't afford soap, nappies etc.

The Beauty Banks website can point you to places where you can donate toiletries or even set up your own campaign/matching you with a charity in your area.
Wee_Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

It is wee Red an absolutely wonderful thing to do
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Bessie
Apprentice Imagineer

Well said MH

We donate just about every week to our local foodbank, there are so many families out there who need this. This year there have been 350 families in our town who have made an application for some extra help with Christmas for their children and we have donated to that too.

This week I learned of a family, mum, 5 kids, 16, 12, 11, 9 & 24 weeks, her husband has just died. She idolises her kids & is trying her best but has had to resort to the foodbank. She has just made her 3rd request for help & they have questioned this as she has had 2 food parcels in the past, I'm lost for words. So out I went yesterday & got a load of food for £20, shopping for the own brand stuff, which should keep them going for a few days until someone steps up to help the family.

It breaks my heart to hear of families in this situation, so please if you can drop a few tins into your local foodbank.
Star Island & Westgate Lakes 2 wks Sept 98, Blue Tree Resort 3 wks Sept 99, Blue Tree Resort 3 wks Sept 00, Blue Tree Resort & AMI 3 wks Sept 01, DLP Aug 02, Venetian Bay Villages 2 wks Aug 08, Bella Piazza 2 wks Aug 11 Windsor Hills 3 wks Aug 12, Windsor Hills 2 wks Oct 15 Paradise Palms 2 wks June 2017
Bessie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzy1
Excited about Disney

We're getting our groceries delivered now, so I make a weekly online cash donation to the local food bank, so they can use it to buy whatever supplies they need that week.
dizzy1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 12:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I usually give 24 items to the local food bank in December (I’d read about a reverse advent calendar a few years ago so do my own version). I’ve just been onto my local food banks website to see what they need and found they have a Just Giving page so have donated instead and could add gift aid.

Thanks for the reminder MH

ETA - Black Country Food Bank for any local Dibbers

Edited at 12:37 AM.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 01:05 AM  
Link to this Post
patpluto
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bessie View Post
Well said MH

We donate just about every week to our local foodbank, there are so many families out there who need this. This year there have been 350 families in our town who have made an application for some extra help with Christmas for their children and we have donated to that too.

This week I learned of a family, mum, 5 kids, 16, 12, 11, 9 & 24 weeks, her husband has just died. She idolises her kids & is trying her best but has had to resort to the foodbank. She has just made her 3rd request for help & they have questioned this as she has had 2 food parcels in the past, I'm lost for words. So out I went yesterday & got a load of food for £20, shopping for the own brand stuff, which should keep them going for a few days until someone steps up to help the family.

It breaks my heart to hear of families in this situation, so please if you can drop a few tins into your local foodbank.
Wow what an terrible sad situation for the family to be in especially so close to Christmas my heart breaks for them.

I volunteer in the local foodbank and the rules from trussell trust say 3 packs in 6 months however I know the foodbank I’m with don’t follow this as we have so much food stock and the current pandemic we want to help as many people as we can but it’s down to manager discretion.
patpluto is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

The volunteers at our local food bank delivery office are very rude.

Twice I’ve taken stuff but they won’t see me again. Both times they’ve taken the bags straight down to the storage area without a thank you or any comment.

Obviously I wasn’t looking for a round of applause. I’m not obliged to donate stuff and I won’t do again. Their high and mighty, smug, ‘look at me aren’t I a good caring person giving up my time for free’ can go whistle.
ERICSMUM is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Originally Posted by Wee_Red View Post
Our church does this - it's a cracking idea, isn't it?

So glad many people have pointed out the need for toiletries - I helped coordinate a bank out of the school during lockdown and they were the things people really seemed to appreciate. After the first couple of weeks, people were open to making requests for toiletries, it's a shame there's such a stigma attached to admitting you can't afford soap, nappies etc.

The Beauty Banks website can point you to places where you can donate toiletries or even set up your own campaign/matching you with a charity in your area.
And women’s aid always want toiletries, make up and perfume. Some women flee their homes with nothing at all and those items are usually low priority but very much appreciated when donated. All the unwanted Christmas gift sets, wrong purchase make up etc can be well used by these charities
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List