Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 15 Jan 18, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Mobile

There will be more waking at AKL it’s a big resort and there is only one main car park / bus stops, I have read stories of a half hour walk to get to the swimming pool / car.

Where as CBR you are never far from your car due to each separate block having its own car park / bus stop.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 18, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by JessBlu View Post
There will be more waking at AKL it’s a big resort and there is only one main car park / bus stops, I have read stories of a half hour walk to get to the swimming pool / car.

Where as CBR you are never far from your car due to each separate block having its own car park / bus stop.
Never heard anyone say that about AKL. It's a hotel with all internal corridors. It would have to be HUGE to need a half hour walk to get anywhere. I've walked from the Grandstand at SSR to the marketplace side of Disney Springs in about 15-20 minutes and that's way bigger than AKL. I've heard people say that it's further out from the parks, so 30 minutes on the bus to Magic Kingdom, but definitely not 30 minutes to walk from your room to the pool/car park/bus stop

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 18, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by JessBlu View Post

The issue we had with AKL (and it’s not unique to that hotel) is the walk from the car park to your room can be quite long whereas the values, moderates and OKW/SSR tend to have parking spaces close to the rooms. The deluxe hotels generally have one large car park and a main building where the rooms are. Half an hour is probably an exaggeration though. When we stayed at the Grand Floridian our room was in one of the outer buildings farthest away from the car park and it wasn’t more than 5 minutes walk. I can’t imagine the farthest room at AKL is a longer walk than that. And it’s only really an issue if you come back with lots of shopping!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 18, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 766
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
I originally changed as it was only £105 more to change to OKW than it was to pay for the upgraded dining at Caribbean Beach. I just thought OKW looked a bit 'meh' if you know what I mean? Nothing really stood out to us. The kids really wanted to stay at AKL so we managed to swap to that and make it affordable. Although, if the building work at CBR was finished, I would 100% be staying back at CBR, we adore it there! It's a hard choice I know, too many options!
OKW is certainly not ‘meh’. It is a beautiful resort - as is AKL.
Horses for courses, I guess. I really do not like CBR xx

Proud DVC owner since 2007
I own at Animal Kingdom Villas and Bay Lake Tower

Edited at 11:36 AM.
Tinkerbell 766 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 18, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggerific2018
Helping Mickey

Mobile

Firstly, a massive thank you to everyone who replied - there’s a lot of excellent info here. I’ve got the flu so apologies for the delay in replying.

I did call Disney and find out my options for moving resorts. She told me that we would definitely keep free dining, which was helpful. PLFQ was sold out for our dates, so our options are Riverside or AKL. However, I ended up talking to her for 45 mins (&#128563 and essentially read her the pro/con list I had made, along with my list of questions about the resort, and she was extremely helpful about explaining everything.

After speaking to her, I’m actually feeling much calmer about our choice, and I’m happy to stay at CSR. We talked about various disabled access stuff, including the fact that they have an internal bus system that is not well publicised.

I will speak to the other family members who are coming with us, so we may still move to either Riverside or AKL, but right now I think that CSR will still work best for us. She had plenty of opportunity to up-sell me, since I called with the intention of moving two rooms to AKL, but she didn’t even try, which impressed me.

Thank you so much again to everyone for all the help.
Tiggerific2018 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List