Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 15 Jan 18, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
xmelaniee
Getting Excited

I have no knowledge of CBR but I'd highly recommend POFQ! As it's such a small resort it's so quick to get back to any room in the resort after coming back from the park. We had one of the buildings the farthest distance from the food court / reception / buses and it still probably only took us a few minutes.

Personally I think if you're doubting whether its worth it then it probably isn't and you could enjoy yourselves with the money elsewhere
Old 15 Jan 18, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Thanks everyone for your insight.

I rang Disney to get an idea of prices, as the tickets online are cheaper and the room rate is discounted as no free DDP. It's actually only £400 cheaper if we downgrade from AKL with free regular dining, which really isn't worth the hastile in changing again. Will have to save CBR for when the works complete in a few years time (if we get to go again!)

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 18, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Allisonjane
Apprentice Imagineer

I know this probably won't be much help lol but it's just my opinion.
We stayed at CBR in 2016, there was 3 of us and DD was 9, we absolutely loved the resort and had an amazing time, our room was right by Barbados quite pool and we had it to ourselves most afternoons, DD loved it, everything was perfect, even though we weren't near the food court it didn't matter, and we planned to go back again this year. Then me and DH had a cheeky last minute week on our own last year (in September) staying offsite but we went to visit CBR, I know it sounds silly but it was actually quite upsetting seeing it look such a mess, I think it seemed worse as we'd stayed in Barbados and that was a pile of rubble, it was so sad I nearly cried. Anyway long story short we decided we won't go back until all the work is finished.
We have stayed as AKL and Kidani village before and I didn't really like either, the long dark corridors put me off, I like to open my door and see daylight and feel the heat, not have a 10 minute walk down a corridor, also the pools were alway busy and quite noisy sometimes. It is lovely to see the animals, and the food court is good, but they aren't enough to make me want to go back.
I really like both the Port Orleans resorts and OKW and SSR, we would probably have booked POR this year but my parents decided to join us and it worked out a lot cheaper to book OKW than 2 room at POR, and as price is a major factor for us, OKW is it.
1993, 1997, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004 all off site, 2007 Pop/AKL + Fairytale Wedding, 2008 Cypress Pointe, 2010 Disney Magic, 2010 OKW/Rolling Hills, 2011 Pop/CBR, 2013 POFQ/Bellavida, 2015 OKW/Windsor Hills/AKV, 2016 CBR, 2017 Cypress Pointe, 2018 OKW/Storey Lake, 2019 BlueTree Resort, 2019 Cypress Pointe/Tuscan Ridge, 2020 CSR, 2021 Formosa Gardens
Allisonjane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 18, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Allisonjane View Post
I know this probably won't be much help lol but it's just my opinion.
We stayed at CBR in 2016, there was 3 of us and DD was 9, we absolutely loved the resort and had an amazing time, our room was right by Barbados quite pool and we had it to ourselves most afternoons, DD loved it, everything was perfect, even though we weren't near the food court it didn't matter, and we planned to go back again this year. Then me and DH had a cheeky last minute week on our own last year (in September) staying offsite but we went to visit CBR, I know it sounds silly but it was actually quite upsetting seeing it look such a mess, I think it seemed worse as we'd stayed in Barbados and that was a pile of rubble, it was so sad I nearly cried. Anyway long story short we decided we won't go back until all the work is finished.
We have stayed as AKL and Kidani village before and I didn't really like either, the long dark corridors put me off, I like to open my door and see daylight and feel the heat, not have a 10 minute walk down a corridor, also the pools were alway busy and quite noisy sometimes. It is lovely to see the animals, and the food court is good, but they aren't enough to make me want to go back.
I really like both the Port Orleans resorts and OKW and SSR, we would probably have booked POR this year but my parents decided to join us and it worked out a lot cheaper to book OKW than 2 room at POR, and as price is a major factor for us, OKW is it.
No, that really helps actually. That's one of the reasons why we changed from CBR in the first place, I adore it and I know I would struggle with seeing it like that! And you've basically spelt out my concerns re AKL...we can see the animals at AK, I don't like the dark corridors, all the rooms look really dark, I love the external corridors that are at CBR/POR, I know it's not a private balcony but I love standing out there in the morning with the heat on my face! I'm going to have another look at POR/POFQ see what they're like, I've never really looked at them before.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 18, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Oliver123
Imagineer

Oliver123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I have stayed at AKL and there is nothing better than waking up for the toilet at 01:00 and seeing a zebra outside of your room! That is a memory that will stay with me forever
Old 15 Jan 18, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Allisonjane
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
No, that really helps actually. That's one of the reasons why we changed from CBR in the first place, I adore it and I know I would struggle with seeing it like that! And you've basically spelt out my concerns re AKL...we can see the animals at AK, I don't like the dark corridors, all the rooms look really dark, I love the external corridors that are at CBR/POR, I know it's not a private balcony but I love standing out there in the morning with the heat on my face! I'm going to have another look at POR/POFQ see what they're like, I've never really looked at them before.
I'll just add that we had a car park view at both AKL and Kidani, so other than to go out first thing in the morning to see what the weather was like, I really had no desire to sit on the balcony, maybe if we'd had a Savannah view I might have felt differently.
We've stayed at POFQ before and loved it almost as much as CBR, the reason we would have chosen POR this time is the quite pools, my DD would much rather have a smaller pool but with a lot less people (I'm actually going to request south Point at OKW, hoping to be near a quiet pool) It's so much easier to walk a few steps outside to the pool and back again (still wet, wrapped in a towel in DDs case) than to walk come corridors and across a hotel lobby, down in the lift etc. But then we do use the pool most days so again depends on your plans.
1993, 1997, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004 all off site, 2007 Pop/AKL + Fairytale Wedding, 2008 Cypress Pointe, 2010 Disney Magic, 2010 OKW/Rolling Hills, 2011 Pop/CBR, 2013 POFQ/Bellavida, 2015 OKW/Windsor Hills/AKV, 2016 CBR, 2017 Cypress Pointe, 2018 OKW/Storey Lake, 2019 BlueTree Resort, 2019 Cypress Pointe/Tuscan Ridge, 2020 CSR, 2021 Formosa Gardens
Allisonjane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 18, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I have stayed at ALK a few times and CBR, POFQ and CSR. I would chose a moderate over AKL anytime that there was a significant difference in price.

I am not crazy about AKL. I find it big and dark and noisy. Except for my first stay, my other stays were because it was only a few dollars more with a discount (deluxes had a larger discount than moderates).

I have liked all the moderates except FOFQ (way too noisy in our room).

If noise is a factor, I would go with a moderate and if your DD is really adamant about AKL, maybe do one night there.

Personally, I would never do a dining plan becuase I do not eat the way a dining plan is set up and it is too much food. I don't think there is any shame in crunching the numbers and deciding where you think your money is best spent.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 18, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Potterer
Very Serious Dibber

The only negative to POR is the lack of a balcony but apart from that, it is heaven.

I'll direct you over to portorleans and the Alligator Bayou section which has a pull down Murphy bed with Louis from Princess and the frog on it. Here is a
of the room. It also hints at how lush and green it is. Plus it has the outside corridors.

Worth a look.
Potterer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 18, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I think if you are sticking with AKL then requesting a room with a view (quite a lot of standard rooms have partial Savanna view ) as your own balcony with a non car park view might be a more attractive option. No guarantees but if you don't ask you don't get !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 18, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
HelenJNT
Imagineer

Mobile

That is a dilemma...
We stayed at CBR in 2016 and like you, fell in love with the place. We went back quite by accident on our recent trip and it felt like “home” to us, and I was also quite saddened to see it in its current state.

We stayed most recently at AKL, and as you’ve rightly pointed out, it feels like a hotel. Which has its pros and cons. We had a car park view but we were fine with this as we were never there and didn’t want to spend more for a savanna view.

I’m glad we stayed at AKL but more because we got a great deal on it, and because we can tick it off the list. However, I feel I’m more of a moderate girl at heart as our best holidays have been at POFQ and CBR.

I think for a short stay and if money was a factor, as well as not being in the room all that much I’d go back to CBR and close my eyes every time I went in and out of the resort. But if you want the “bucket list” factor of staying in a deluxe then stick with AKL and preserve those CBR memories. No decision will be a bad decision and I don’t think I’ve actually been much help, have I?!
HelenJNT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List