Go Back   theDIBB > Other Planning > Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.
Attraction Tickets Direct
Unread 3 Mar 19, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
TinaP
Getting to know the DIBB

Wow landandword17, what a list! Thanks so much. I've printed it out and I will get researching tomorrow and hopefully you won't me asking follow up questions. I've followed Vintage Los Angeles on FB and will look through it too. Thrilled to hear you rate the Hollywood Bowl and the Polo Lounge brunch. I read a lot of memoirs and books about the film industry and its mentioned so many times I felt we just had to go when we were there.

My sister would have to be resuscitated if we got to see Will and Grace being filmed. OMG! There's no tickets on the site now, I assume they are released later in the year. Were they hard to get, I think I won't tell her and then if I can get them I will surprise her with them on the plane. We'd love to do show too, where did you buy the Hamilton tickets from and did you book in advance. Also my sister is the big 3-0 when we are there is there any of the restaurants you'd rate for a birthday dinner? She loves the likes of Audrey Hepburn, Steve McQueen, Bette Davis, Liz Taylor. I'll lookl them all up myself just any pointers thanks again.
TinaP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 19, 01:00 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Very Serious Dibber

Yes please do ask any follow ups. Always love sharing my LA love!

The tickets for W&G were released about a month before. They film on Wednesdays in Universal Studios. You get to see the Universal studio tour tram passing from the wait area. You get notification that you have tickets 2 weeks before. I followed them on Twitter (1iota) and they post when dates are released. They do Jimmy Kimmel too and a few others. Theres other sites that do other shows.

The Polo Longe will play a birthday request for your sister and give her a birthday dessert so let them know youre celebrating when you reserve and you will need reservations for the brunch. Musso and Frank is real old Hollywood and theres a mural just around the corner with all the greats, Hepburn and Taylor are on it for sure. The Beverly Hilton pretty woman hotel had a steak house, Steve McQueen had a suite there. Drive Mulholland too if you want to follow in Steves footsteps. Lovely drive with great views, do it on a weekday when its quiet. And Liz Taylor had a bungalow in the Beverly Hills hotel. After your brunch you can walk the grounds and see it. The grounds are stunning, theres some pictures of former guests and theres stars on the back of the menus too. Nate n Als is cheap deli food, delicious but not birthday meal good. Full of locals and just a great authentic place. Dan Tanas is old school Italian. The bar tender is about 90 and hes been there for 50 years. He served Sinatra and its a cosy place with red leather booths and great pasta. Theres some nice rooftop bars too and afternoons teas but surprisingly LA isnt party central. No real bar scene and things close early as a previous poster said. The Chateu Marmont is another legendary place but havent been.

We got the Hamilton tickets from the Pantages website a few months before. Another place for Broadway shows is the Ahmanson. The Geffen does plays rather than musicals. The Paley Center hold screenings and Q&As with actors so well worth checking their calendar too. They do a festival every year introducing that seasons lineup. We didnt go but we walked past and the lineup was good. The Greek theatre is another outdoor venue near the Griffith observatory. Do not drive to the observatory on a night the Greek has a show!

The Hollywood Forever cemetery is also a concert venue/outdoor cinema, only in LA! Its behind Paramount Studios and near Pinks Hotdogs and the Groundlings theatre (Lisa Kudrow and Melissa McCarthy are former students). So you can group them all together. We generally do that to avoid driving all over the city

Edited at 01:08 AM.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
POR-Hawaii-San Diego
Unread 3 Mar 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
Excited about Disney

A lot of great ideas already so just to throw in a few other ideas for downtown;

- Downtown LA - As well as the already mentioned Union Station and Oliveras Sreet, LA City Hall is an iconic building (you can go up for free for some great city views, need your passport for security) and also used in many films; The Bradbury building interior was used in Bladerunner (as was Union Station) ; The Last Bookstore is one of the best book shops in the world (IMO); The Angels Flight tram is now reopen and just opposite Grand Central Market famous for its street food and the go-to place downtown for lunch; Walt Disney concert hall; also plenty of self-guide walking tours for the art district.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 19, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
VIP Dibber

Im not sure if anyone has mentioned Griffith Park and Griffiths Observatory yet. We spend a morning there, you get great views of the Hollywood sign, the city and if youve seen La La Land it would be another movie sight to see! We did a short hike from the Observatory too.

I love LA, Ive been a few times and would go again tomorrow! There are some seedy and dangerous areas but youd get that in any major city. Weve seen Big Bang being filmed and there are several fan sites that give you tips on how to get tickets so have a google and see if there is a Will and Grace alternative.

There are quite a few trip reports that might interest you over in that section - bambikate writes really detailed reports so this might be a good one to start with https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1103214 There are others and oh darling (Libby) is part way through a report which sounds like a similar plan to yours.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
NYE in Orlando
Unread 3 Mar 19, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
TinaP
Getting to know the DIBB

Thanks again everyone, my sister is over and we are making our way through all the suggestions and piecing together an itinerary.
TinaP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Just bumping this thread to add this podcast and the show notes. This guy offers itineraries that dont focus on Hollywood/Disney/Santa Monica so I think it will be useful to people here who are looking for something different.

amateurtraveler/travel-t...1-episode-265/

amateurtraveler/travel-t...fornia-part-2/
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
POR-Hawaii-San Diego
Unread 2 Jun 19, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie1981
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Following with interest 😁

HOLIDAY INN INTERNATIONAL DRIVE APRIL/MAY 2007
CYPRESS POINTE GRANDE VILLAS LBV APRIL/MAY 2011
GRANDE VILLAS LBV APRIL/MAY 2013
GRANDE VILLAS LBV OCT/NOV 2016
minnie1981 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
we're going again