Go Back   theDIBB > Other Planning > Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.
Orlando Attraction Tickets
Unread 29 Apr 19, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

Either Santa Monica or Burbank will do you as a base for LA, Burbank being closer to Griffith Park - (which has some excellent short walking trails), 'the sign' and the walk of fame area. Your children might be the right age to enjoy La Brea tar Pits?
We stopped in the Yucca Valley for the drive through Joshua Tree park, then onto the Palm/Desert Springs area for the tramway (and even more nice walking trails on top of Mt San Jacinto), it saves doubling back on yourself.
I do agree with others that it is best to try and avoid too many one night stops.
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our first DVC welcome home trip
Unread 30 Apr 19, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
slightly serious Dibber

We're doing similar this July, with kids of same age. Our plan is 5 nights in Glendale (near Burbank) where we will do LA (Universal, Warner Bros tour, Santa Monica, Science center, Griffith park etc) followed by 3 nights in Joshua Tree (to do the NP, Palm Springs Aerial runway, Pioneertown and some chill out time), 2 nights in LA Jolla (just outside San Diego) and then 4 nights in San Diego (for the zoo, USS midway, Old Town, whale watching/boat tour etc).

Our plan includes more time in LA than most people on here recommend but we are visiting family as well.

My thoughts on the planning so are:
1. Accommodation is very expensive
2. California is huge, you have to be brutal in cutting down what you want to do - you've already done that by sticking to the South

I plan to do a trippie when we're there or when we get back, but that might be too late for your planning...
Unread 30 Apr 19, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
aimo
Trainee Dibber

Originally Posted by liz-paul View Post
We're doing similar this July, with kids of same age. Our plan is 5 nights in Glendale (near Burbank) where we will do LA (Universal, Warner Bros tour, Santa Monica, Science center, Griffith park etc) followed by 3 nights in Joshua Tree (to do the NP, Palm Springs Aerial runway, Pioneertown and some chill out time), 2 nights in LA Jolla (just outside San Diego) and then 4 nights in San Diego (for the zoo, USS midway, Old Town, whale watching/boat tour etc).

Our plan includes more time in LA than most people on here recommend but we are visiting family as well.

My thoughts on the planning so are:
1. Accommodation is very expensive
2. California is huge, you have to be brutal in cutting down what you want to do - you've already done that by sticking to the South

I plan to do a trippie when we're there or when we get back, but that might be too late for your planning...
Thanks for your post. Can I ask where you have been looking for accommodation? Hotels? Apartments? Air bnb?

I have been trying really hard to narrow it down, so much to do and see!
aimo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 19, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
aimo
Trainee Dibber

From the useful advise I have already received from the wonderful dibbers I think I will plan to have one base for Santa Monica/LA, one base for big bear, one base for Joshua Tree/Palm Springs and finally San Diego.

The only reason I was interested in visiting Fontana was for the speedway, and it seemed to be in the right direction for my next stop. I think it would only be a stop along the way rather than an overnight. Unless anyone can advise of a similar venue near one of my other bases?

Similarly, the main reason for heading to Barstow was for the Calico Ghost town (and outlets, but I don't mind skipping the outlets). Is there anywhere else similar closer to some of my other bases? The paramount place where westworld was filmed looked amazing, but I understand it burnt down. : (

Also, any thoughts on Big Bear lake?

Thanks again
aimo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 19, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by aimo View Post
Thanks for your post. Can I ask where you have been looking for accommodation? Hotels? Apartments? Air bnb?

I have been trying really hard to narrow it down, so much to do and see!
Airbnb was illegal in some places and a grey area in others. The beach towns had a minimum stay for condo rentals so I stayed with hotels and motels. Accommodation is more expensive than Florida, California on its own is one of the biggest economies in the world ahead of the U.K. even so its a high cost of living state but I have been able to keep the costs under control. I aim for an average of 150-170 per night.

You will need to look at the aggregators to get an idea of accommodation costs. Expedia, hotels.com, booking etc. Go through Quidco for cash back on your bookings.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
POR-Hawaii-San Diego
Unread 30 Apr 19, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
Excited about Disney

Mobile

From the useful advise I have already received from the wonderful dibbers I think I will plan to have one base for Santa Monica/LA, one base for big bear, one base for Joshua Tree/Palm Springs and finally San Diego.

The only reason I was interested in visiting Fontana was for the speedway, and it seemed to be in the right direction for my next stop. I think it would only be a stop along the way rather than an overnight. Unless anyone can advise of a similar venue near one of my other bases?

Similarly, the main reason for heading to Barstow was for the Calico Ghost town (and outlets, but I don't mind skipping the outlets). Is there anywhere else similar closer to some of my other bases? The paramount place where westworld was filmed looked amazing, but I understand it burnt down. : (

Also, any thoughts on Big Bear lake?

Thanks again
In terms of Outlets there's a big one, Ontario Mills, which would be on route from LA to Palm Springs. There's also Palm Springs Premium Outlets.

In terms of other ideas in that general area then Route 66 gets properly going east of San Bernardino (for somewhere a bit different to stay take a look at the Wig Wam motel, stayed in the one in Arizona). You could link Barstow in to a drive along some R66 and through Siberia, Baghdad and Amboy which gave a real taste of it - unfortunately you would have to double back a bit back down to Palm Springs.

If you're into movie sets then a trip to Pioneertown, not far from Joshua Tree, is worth a visit - it was built to be a living movie set and a number of westerns filmed there.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 19, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
aimo
Trainee Dibber

Originally Posted by Olympiad View Post
In terms of Outlets there's a big one, Ontario Mills, which would be on route from LA to Palm Springs. There's also Palm Springs Premium Outlets.

In terms of other ideas in that general area then Route 66 gets properly going east of San Bernardino (for somewhere a bit different to stay take a look at the Wig Wam motel, stayed in the one in Arizona). You could link Barstow in to a drive along some R66 and through Siberia, Baghdad and Amboy which gave a real taste of it - unfortunately you would have to double back a bit back down to Palm Springs.

If you're into movie sets then a trip to Pioneertown, not far from Joshua Tree, is worth a visit - it was built to be a living movie set and a number of westerns filmed there.
The wig wam motel looks awesome! I'm all for some unique stays along the way! Thanks for the tip about Pioneer town, is there much to do there? Or is it more somewhere to go to have a look for a couple of hours?
Unread 2 May 19, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
Excited about Disney

Mobile

The wig wam motel looks awesome! I'm all for some unique stays along the way! Thanks for the tip about Pioneer town, is there much to do there? Or is it more somewhere to go to have a look for a couple of hours?
Pioneetown is very much a just spend an hour or so there. It has a diner etc and I think in peak season does things like western gun fights.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Attraction Tickets Direct