Go Back   theDIBB > Other Planning > Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.
Unread 2 May 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Very Serious Dibber

Pappy and Harriets is the restaurant/bar there. They have gigs most nights.

My favourite outlets are Desert Hills just outside Palm Springs. If youre looking for unusual accommodation look on Airbnb for the airstream trailers in Joshua tree.

Also bear in mind the ghost town is also a few hours kind of place.A West coast holiday has a different pace than a Florida one.

Edited at 11:42 AM.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
POR-Hawaii-San Diego
Unread 12 May 19, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by aimo View Post
Thanks for your post. Can I ask where you have been looking for accommodation? Hotels? Apartments? Air bnb?

I have been trying really hard to narrow it down, so much to do and see!
Apologies, I'm only just looking back at this

In Glendale we are staying at the Glendale Embassy suites which has the advantage of 2 room suites and no bed sharing for the children!

Joshua Tree is an Airbnb, as far as I can tell they are allowed there but not in many other places. HOWEVER, my brother who lives in LA literally said he had no idea what I was talking about when I said they are illegal in lots of places in California and said loads of his friends do airbnb So who knows what the state of play is...

La Jolla is another hotel (can't remember which one, sorry) and San Diego is the handlery hotel which looks fairly basic but was affordable. All hotels booked through hotels.com as I was using tesco clubcard vouchers towards them (saving a few hundred s as I had quite a lot saved up).
Unread 13 May 19, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
Excited about Disney

Mobile

The Airbnb situation is so confusing because what we commonly refer to as LA is in reality a number of different cities which each sets their own rules and regulations.

Rather than being illegal it's more the case that different cities are imposing stricter rules on short term letting (not just airbnb but also homeaway, vrbo etc).

For example Santa Monica doesn't allow the rental of whole homes for less than 30 days, but you can rent rooms althouhh the owner is required to be in residence.

The city of LA is also enacting new laws that come in to effect this July which limits the number of days a property can be rented out for and restricts it to the owners primary residence.

The level of enforcement has been variable so I'm sure that to all intents and purposes many people may well be unaware. However personally I don't think I'd take the risk with a property that it wasn't clear were following the 'rules'.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 19, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Olympiad View Post
The Airbnb situation is so confusing because what we commonly refer to as LA is in reality a number of different cities which each sets their own rules and regulations.

Rather than being illegal it's more the case that different cities are imposing stricter rules on short term letting (not just airbnb but also homeaway, vrbo etc).

For example Santa Monica doesn't allow the rental of whole homes for less than 30 days, but you can rent rooms althouhh the owner is required to be in residence.

The city of LA is also enacting new laws that come in to effect this July which limits the number of days a property can be rented out for and restricts it to the owners primary residence.

The level of enforcement has been variable so I'm sure that to all intents and purposes many people may well be unaware. However personally I don't think I'd take the risk with a property that it wasn't clear were following the 'rules'.
Good point. Santa Monica is enforced fairly strongly. So is West Hollywood and Beverly Hills. I think the higher the property values the more likely the other residents will complain and I cant really blame them. If I paid 3 million for a house/apartment Id be more likely to lift the phone if there was a stream of tourists in and out next door. I also think all the above are there own districts. Some people seem to be getting away with it in Anaheim (not in LA county) but then you also see a good few Tripadvisor posts where people have their reservation cancelled at the last minute because the landlord got caught. Other places are allowing it and making the landlords get licensed and pay taxes, San Francisco does that. Its a bit of a head wrecker figuring out whats okay and what isnt but for me coming from so far away and paying so much money to get there, if theres any conflicting information/grey area Im not willing to risk it.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
POR-Hawaii-San Diego
Unread 13 May 19, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
aimo
Getting Excited

Mobile

Ive seen loads of air bnbs advertised in Santa Monica! Its not really fair on the people booking the properties is it! The people who are offering their properties for rent must know the rules?!

Does anyone know the state of play elsewhere in California? Are air bnbs allowed in Big Bear, Joshua tree, San Diego ?
aimo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 19, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

No its not fair but the property owners dont care, they can earn way more Airbnbing than with a long term tenant. We became aware of the issues in 2017 when we booked an Airbnb in Santa Monica and then the owner sent us a message saying if the neighbors asked us we were his cousins and not paying guests. Lol. Needless to say we cancelled.

Big Bear and Joshua Tree should be okay. No idea about San Diego but Aims will know if you ask her in the sticky thread at the top of the page.
POR-Hawaii-San Diego
Unread 18 May 19, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
aimo
Getting Excited

Thanks to everyone for their replies! The flights are booked and the real planning starts now!
aimo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 19, 12:59 AM  
Link to this Post
PixieBoot
slightly serious Dibber

How exciting!
Reading with interest, as Ive just booked for next Easter hols, 15 nights. Into SF and out of LV. Prioritising Vegas (we married there), SF, Monterey/Carmel & Yosemite, ending with few days in Anaheim (really not bothered about LA or the various beaches that end of the coast). Hiring a car from when we leave SF for the rest of the trip. Yosemite is proving very tricky to squeeze in. Longest drive will be Yosemite to Vegas via Death Valley so an over-night will be needed, but as the Tioga Pass will be closed Im not sure whether to go further (north) over Yosemite or south (less scenic but quicker). That will reduce our Vegas/Disney stays :/

Edited at 01:01 AM.
PixieBoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Off to the Wonder