Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 15 Jun 16, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
WickedPlans
Imagineer

WickedPlans's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Rudie View Post
Would you allow a 2 year old to be anywhere near that water which had that signage? at 9:20pm? Albeit a few feet away from yourself, so far though that you had to "jump" into the water to save them from anything which could result i.e. they're not in your hands.
If the sign just said "No Swimming", which many of them seem to say, then I wouldn't perceive a huge risk from allowing a 2yr old to paddle a foot from the edge of the beach when I was right next to them.
I don't know that the time is particularly relevant.
Easter 2010, Florida Pines Villa - Avoiding Disasters, Lessons in Autism: Trip Report
Easter 2012, Sunset Lakes Villa - No Rest for the Wicked: Trip Report
WickedPlans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 16, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Mobile

Putting others down for not fully contemplating the risks, is really not useful at all.
Obviously from the replies on here, lots of people haven't understood the dangers, and therefore signs stating why the water should be avoided are needed.

Any changes made due to this horrific tragedy, are hardly going to ruin someone's Disney holiday.
Personally, I'd rather this never happened again (if possible) and put up with any changes necessary.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 16, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Rudie
Trainee Dibber

Originally Posted by WickedPlans View Post
If the sign just said "No Swimming", which many of them seem to say, then I wouldn't perceive a huge risk from allowing a 2yr old to paddle a foot from the edge of the beach when I was right next to them.
How do you know this? There's quite clearly a picture of said sign which people are talking about but are neglecting to acknowledge has more on it than simply "don't swim".

You're telling me that you're more likely to let your children go into a lake which has a sign clearly stating "steep drop offs", "deep water" and "no swimming" than you are to let them paddle in the sea?
Rudie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 16, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ilivehereorland View Post
Don't waste your time going to the beach then because there are sharks in the water all around the Florida coast. Just like there are alligators in lakes and ponds everywhere in Florida. Very, very sorry for that poor family, but let's not overreact to something that a very rare occurrence, and nobody's fault.
Very true, no one is at fault, very sad but happens occasionally.
Snowball24 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 16, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
ems35
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by WickedPlans View Post
im sure people are mentioning the time as i would think you are more at risk of gators at nightime
Old 15 Jun 16, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post

I hope guests stop feeding the wild life and/or Disney enforce it strongly. I'm not just talking about the birds that people offer out food to or throw little bits in their general direction but Gators like the one at the Beach Club water way off near the lobby area. Every time we passed the walk way out to the car park... if you lean over slightly and look down at the water a small Gator would swim towards you 90% of the time expecting food to be dropped in.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 16, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pink_Fairy_Dust View Post
Nope completely wrong!

Its not views over safety at all, signs saying don't swim are enough and if it really has to be you can always add them spelling out: and this means don't go in the water at all, ever (and you could even list why!). But why should the views be spoiled because people are reckless and silly... I feel for the parents I'm sure they are blaming themselves which must feel terrible, and what happened to the little boy is a horror I can't even imagine, but don't make rash changes because of one lone incident is what I am saying.
I don't think Disney will make a rash decision.

Obviously signs saying "don't swim" aren't enough as we wouldn't be discussing the child's death. Perhaps more signs will help I honestly don't know.

I've never sat looking out at the lagoon from a Disney hotel but would a fence of a few feet in height ruin the view...
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 16, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
grottyrotty
Imagineer

Yes, I am aware of the 'gators in & around Disney parks. We saw one in a little Creek in MK near the bridge heading towards Splash Mountain. A CM had been posted nearby to stop stupid tourists from feeding it or getting too close. And yes, I did mean to say "stupid". The number of people who seemed to think it was tame and wanted to get closer for a photo opportunity

Would I have let my child paddle in the shallow water? I don't think I would have let him do it in the dark, but during the daytime? Quite possibly but I don't know. Hindsight is a wonderful tool, and I don't honestly think that the parents were negligent or neglectful. I think they were very unfortunate that this freak accident happened to them.

Would signs warning of 'gators have made a difference? Sadly we'll never know.

RIP cherub, and heartfelt sympathies to the family.

Deb
Old 15 Jun 16, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
WickedPlans
Imagineer

WickedPlans's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Rudie View Post
How do you know this? There's quite clearly a picture of said sign which people are talking about but are neglecting to acknowledge has more on it than simply "don't swim".

You're telling me that you're more likely to let your children go into a lake which has a sign clearly stating "steep drop offs", "deep water" and "no swimming" than you are to let them paddle in the sea?
Originally Posted by Scotsmomma View Post
I didn't say I was more likely to let my children paddle in a lake than a sea, just that I wouldn't perceive there to be a life-threatening risk from having a little paddle on the edge of a lake that said no swimming.

The signs are inappropriate for the risks involved.
Easter 2010, Florida Pines Villa - Avoiding Disasters, Lessons in Autism: Trip Report
Easter 2012, Sunset Lakes Villa - No Rest for the Wicked: Trip Report
WickedPlans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 16, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
alibabaxx
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Ilivehereorland View Post
Don't waste your time going to the beach then because there are sharks in the water all around the Florida coast. Just like there are alligators in lakes and ponds everywhere in Florida. Very, very sorry for that poor family, but let's not overreact to something that a very rare occurrence, and nobody's fault.
So a shark would come up to the beach would it? I think I'd see it first...

Let's not over react? A child has died and Disney did not put the proper risk assessments or signage in place to prevent it... end of!

2012 POR FQ Disneymoon
2013 OKW Disneymoon Pt2
2015 AKL and Cruise
2017 AKL, POP and Cruise
alibabaxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread