Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Jul 18, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Anything south of Tampa on the Gulf Coast is rather special, with beautiful white sand.
Driving the Tamiami is fun and depending on stops, you could go on down the keys. Key west would be great as part of a honeymoon and the seven mile bridge, breathtaking.
Going the other way, Kennedy Space Centre? Cocoa Beach? Smyrna beach? Daytona Beach is special also.
Staying closer to Orlando, you could move into the Seaworld area and get a DIscovery Cove Ultimate (always our best Orlando day), plus SW, Aquatica and Busch with free transport.
A day out at Boggy Creek with a 1 hour airboat ride, alligator lunch and a presentation (excellent) from a Native American Indian is fun.
There is just so much to do in Florida beyond Orlando.. and I haven’t even mentioned my favourites, Destin and the even better Pensacola.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Licoricelover
Excited about Disney

If you want something different have a look at a Revolution Off Road experience. We did the mucky ducks amphibious experience last year. Great fun but they do make sure you get splattered so wear old clothes. It's at Clermont
Licoricelover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 18, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Tiki Jo
I want to go now!

Mobile

Definitely recommend a few days at Key West, we’ve stayed at the Southernmost Hotel and it was lovely, has its own beach and a beach restaurant/bar.

We flew back from Miami.
Tiki Jo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 18, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Segdude
Very Serious Dibber

Segdude's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I'm with YLL and Tiki Jo with the trip to the keys, and it would be very romantic, I realise the cruise is expensive, but how about a flight up to New York or Las Vegas and have a few days there? You've not yet booked the flights, so into one airport and out of another with give you maximum flexibility.

Y'all take care
Nick

Edited at 11:07 AM.
Segdude is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 18, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Plenty of other cruise companies ... I have friends who retired to Florida , prior to retirement as well as cruises they stayed at the BeachClub several times a year and are huge Disney fans but they rarely cruise Disney now (they retired to Vero Beach in part for its proximity to so many cruise ports ... they cruise at least three times a year) as they feel the premium Disney charge simply isn't good value compared with other cruise companies . You could have an amazing non Disney cruise or you could stay on the beach either on the west coast or north towards St Augustine or Amélia Island ... or hop on a plane out of Florida ... Texas maybe or New Orleans , maybe Nashville .You have lots of options . As someone else said as you've not booked your flights yet you can fly home from an entirely different airport , you don't need to backtrack. You could stay on a ranch , visit Chicago... what's on your bucket list ?

Edited at 11:23 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 18, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
disneyhol
Excited about Disney

disneyhol's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Fatboyslick View Post
Surely you don’t plan just the two weeks in Disney.
I personally would get a little bored.
Really? I don't think that was the question

Originally Posted by Scottish_Disney View Post
Hello!

This is our Honeymoon trip so looking to do lots of special things.

We have 2 weeks booked at AKL next July to do Disney, Universal etc . We haven’t booked flights yet and plan on adding a few days on at the end to do something different.

We would love to go on a Disney cruise, and there is one that leaves on the 17th of July 😉 which is perfect but sadly think it’s gonna be too expensive.

What have you all done in Florida that’s a bit different?

Happy to hire a car or take a flight somewhere else. Would love to hear your ideas and experiences!

Thanks everyone
As others have said maybe a trip to Miami for the beaches would be nice?

We are honeymooning next year too and are planning a trip to Las Vegas before Disney, so no relaxation

Hope the wedding planning is going great! Xx
Old 24 Jul 18, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
As said anywhere on the west coast really is beautiful, or you could just decide on "other things " to do in the Orlando area - have a look at the beyond the parks thread of this forum and see if there is something you fancy doing each of your remaining days
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 18, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
SimplyDisney
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Fatboyslick View Post
Surely you don’t plan just the two weeks in Disney.
I personally would get a little bored.
So there’s Universals theme parks which you should really include
You're not doing Disney right if you get 'bored' in 2 weeks!
·1991 Polynesian ·1999 Villa ·2001 Wyndham Palace Resort & Spa ·2005 Port Orleans French Quarter ·2006 Boardwalk Inn ·2007 Polynesian ·2009 Contemporary Resort ·2010 Yacht Club ·2012 Buena Vista Palace ·2015 Grand Floridian Resort & Spa ·2018 Polynesian & Grand Floridian Resort & Spa ·2019 Beach Club ·2022 Beach Club, Grand Floridian Resort & Spa & Hard Rock Hotel ·2023 Yacht Club & Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
SimplyDisney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 18, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
SimplyDisney
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Scottish_Disney View Post
Hello!

This is our Honeymoon trip so looking to do lots of special things.

We have 2 weeks booked at AKL next July to do Disney, Universal etc . We haven’t booked flights yet and plan on adding a few days on at the end to do something different.

We would love to go on a Disney cruise, and there is one that leaves on the 17th of July 😉 which is perfect but sadly think it’s gonna be too expensive.

What have you all done in Florida that’s a bit different?

Happy to hire a car or take a flight somewhere else. Would love to hear your ideas and experiences!

Thanks everyone
We have gone to Disney quite a lot and on our honeymoon in 2012 we planned to do something different. We booked Key West, stayed on Sunset Key and The Westin Key West Resort & Marina (Now Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina). Stayed a night in Fort Lauderdale, took Oasis of The Seas from Fort Lauderdale, drove to Miami - stayed in The Delano. That's when the Disney bug bit! I was sitting in the hotel with 2 days left of our holiday and I decided to check out of The Delano (Miami) early and change our return flights to a few days later to allow us to drive up to Disney World!

I would definitely recommend all the places we stayed.

My number one recommendation would be to do Key West and if possible stay on Sunset Key in the cottages. If you can't do that or don't want to make sure you take the boat out to Sunset Key and have dinner in Latitudes. This is my best advice!

We have also gone to St Pete's Beach (The Don CeSar Hotel). It's very nice.

Clearwater is nice for a day trip.

I hear Naples is nice.

Any questions PM me.
·1991 Polynesian ·1999 Villa ·2001 Wyndham Palace Resort & Spa ·2005 Port Orleans French Quarter ·2006 Boardwalk Inn ·2007 Polynesian ·2009 Contemporary Resort ·2010 Yacht Club ·2012 Buena Vista Palace ·2015 Grand Floridian Resort & Spa ·2018 Polynesian & Grand Floridian Resort & Spa ·2019 Beach Club ·2022 Beach Club, Grand Floridian Resort & Spa & Hard Rock Hotel ·2023 Yacht Club & Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
SimplyDisney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 18, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
sbchannel
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Discovery cove
Helicopter ride
Hot air balloon at sunrise (look at pics on trip advisor, looks amazing!)
If you like animals, swimming with Manatees at Crystal River
Kennedy Space Centre
Clearwater
sbchannel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List