Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 21 Jul 19, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
lil mousketeer
VIP Dibber

Have just caught up.

A shame about the delay, but what a great insurance policy. A very long travel day for you all but you made it there quicker than expected

And we love breakfast at ihop, in fact we love breakfast anywhere while we are on holiday

I look forward to reading more.

Disney POFQ/Universal HRH Aug/Sept 2012
Disney AKL/Universal RPR Aug/Sept 2014
Orlando/St Petes Beach Aug/Sept 2015
Universal-HHN Cabana Bay Sept/Oct 2016
West Stonebridge (Dibb Villa) Aug/Sept 2017

Edited at 07:44 PM.
lil mousketeer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
DisDubs
Gone all Goofy

Day 3 – Kennedy Space Centre

Before I start today's adventures, I have to tell you about our “middle of the night” excitement.. Easy now..!

The Space X Falcon Heavy rocket launch was scheduled for 11.30pm the previous evening from Kennedy Space Centre. We were hoping to stay up to watch it, as we'd previously seen a spectacular shuttle launch in April 2010, but we were just too tired. Anyhow, the launch had been delayed for various reasons and didn't take off until about 2.30am – aren't we glad we didn't try to stay awake..!

It was the middle of the night and we were sleeping soundly, when all of a sudden we were rudely woken up by a massive double bang and the house and windows started shaking and rattling..! We didn't know what was going on and leapt from the bed, only to realise it was the twin sonic boom caused by the two booster rockets returning to earth following the Space X launch 70 miles away! We ran to check that the kids were ok – they never even budged and were still out cold! The two of us on the other-hand, nearly had heart attacks..!

It was then that we decided we'd go to Kennedy Space Centre the next day and lodge a formal complaint (joking – we were going anyway..!)

We slept until 5.30am – pleasantly surprised – not bad for this early in the holiday.

We had breakfast in the villa. We had bagels and cereal again, but this morning, we also had some fruit and we were going to sample Smore's Poptarts. These were very sweet with the texture of cardboard but surprisingly, not as bad as you think they're going to be..!

Yes, these are recycled photos - you will more than likely see them again..!

(They look exactly like they do on the box - same texture too..!)

On arrival in Kennedy Space Centre, we decided to have a snack before we started our day. We went to the Rocket Garden Cafe (a self service eatery – order at a window) We had a tea, a coffee, a Mountain Dew, two warm cinnamon rolls (one was free) and a chocolate muffin. Cost - $15. This was a lovely spot - loads of covered outdoor seating with plenty of fans and a large netting around the perimeter of the seating area, to deter birds.

In hindsight, we should have taken the wrappers off the food.. We're learning..!

As we were eating, a staff member came around handing out little bags of grapes to all the children sitting at the tables. It was a nice touch. No photo though – sorry!

After doing the bus tour and visiting the Saturn V area, we returned to the Rocket Garden Cafe for lunch. We had two kids chicken nuggets – these came with a fruit bag and an apple juice and we also ordered two sides of fries. We shared the lot. The portions of fries were really big and more than enough for us all to share. The kids said the chicken nuggets were tasty but crispy. This was typical park fare and filled a gap. Cost - $27.78 – not bad for what we got.

On the way home from Cape Canaveral, we decided to head to Millers Alehouse on the 192 for dinner at about 7.00pm. Just as we arrived the heavens opened and we were treated to a spectacular lightning display. Once inside, we were seated straight away in a booth and drinks were ordered. DH had a Bud Lite, I had a glass of red wine, DS1 had a lemonade and DS2 had a coke (is Pepsi ok..?)

I had a Zinger Salad with cajun ranch dressing on the side, DH had the Prime Rib French Dip sandwich with fries, DS1 had Sweet Chili Zingers with a side of rice and DS2 had the kids hot dog with a side of apple slices. We also got a side of fries for the table (me ).

This meal was excellent. DH said it was the best sandwich he'd ever had (top 3 anyway) – a big claim on Day 3, but it turned out to be one of, if not, the best meal of our holiday. (As you can tell from the half eaten food photos above.. ) Service was really good – server was friendly and efficient but not constantly in our faces.

We decided not to have a desert as we were pretty full. We had M&M Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches back in the villa, so we decided we'd wait. Meal cost $57 excluding tip and kids eat free on Tuesdays.

The evening finished with drinks around the pool watching the last of the lightning.

Total food spends today - $99.78 excluding tips
Overall food spends - £36.26 & $305.24 (excluding tips)
DisDubs is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
DisDubs
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by florida_2012 View Post
Great day. We love Cicis Pizza too. We've never tried takeaway only eat in. Takeaway looks good value. I am looking for a few takeaway options to eat by the pool.
Do you collect from cicis or do they deliver?
We collected from Cici's but you can have it delivered with UberEats for a few dollars more. We didn't bother, because it was so close. We have a couple more take away meals around the pool later in the holiday - hope to get a few more days up soon..!
DisDubs is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

I’m so pleased he got his toast and sausages for breakfast no. 2. I always think bagels taste better on holiday too. I think I would have had heart failure too it’s a good job you knew there had been a launch!
OB1LukeLucas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

Ihop looks fab and that pizza looks delicious
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

Thanks for the insurance info. Have never been to Millers, but food looks lovely. Imagine what it must be like v close to launchpad on takeoff. It would blow your wig off, Mr President.

Looking forward to following along. X
Old 23 Jul 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I’m enjoying reading along. Glad you got to “experience” part of the launch

We have VHI cover too - must root out the policy and have a proper read of it.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
DisDubs
Gone all Goofy

Day 4 – Shopping Day

We slept this morning until 6.45am – couldn't believe it! I was absolutely delighted considering it's only our third morning in Florida.

We had a lazy morning around the pool planned for this morning, so breakfast was bagels and coffee again, followed by chocolate muffins – just for a change..!

At about noon, we headed to the Buena Vista Factory Stores on S Apopka Vineland Road and then onto the Premium Outlets on Vineland. We normally prefer the Buena Vista stores, as they're less crowded, however, this time, apart from DH who picked up a few bits, we left empty handed. A bit disheartened, we headed on to the Premium Outlets in Vineland. On the way, we stopped at IHOP on South International Drive for a bit of lunch. We had coffee, 2 x Pepsi and a Mountain Dew. DH had the Philly Stacker with fries (Philly sirloin steak, thinly sliced onion, topped with melted American cheese on a grilled roll). DS1 had Pancake Sliders (is it a pancake or is it a burger?) with a side of pancakes (!). These were 2 silver dollar sliders made with original buttermilk pancake mix and filled with scrambled egg and bacon and were actually really nice..! I had the Southwest Scramble with home fries (scrambled eggs with jack and cheddar, topped with salsa and avocado) - this came with toast. DS2 had chicken nuggets with a side of fruit and also a side of sausages. He also ate my toast – this is the child that eats nothing at home! Everything was tasty – nothing spectacular. Cost was $48 excluding tip.

After lunch, we headed on to the Outlets at Vineland. Half way around, we stopped for ice-cream – 2 x double cups. One cup had 2 scoops of Cookie Dough, the other had a scoop of chocolate and a scoop of mint. Cost $13.82. This was about the most money I spent on our shopping day. DH got shirts, jeans, socks, t-shirts, boots and runners. DS's got runners and I got nothing. I was very disappointed with the lack of bargains / choice.

On the way home, we thought about stopping off for food, however none of us were very hungry. We nipped into Walgreens for water, milk, toiletries and sour skittles. We didn't feel like losing two hours of our lives in Target or Walmart.. We headed home and had skittles, lemonade and microwave popcorn (and beer and wine for the adults). Cost excluding toiletries - $26.19.

Total food spends today - $88.01
Overall food spends - £36.26 & $393.25
Old 8 Aug 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
DisDubs
Gone all Goofy

Day 5 – Crazy Golf & Toy Story 4

We were awake at 4.20am this morning. It seemed that our neighbour's pool pump was running very loudly all night. That combined with a phone call from DFS advising us that our new sofa was due for delivery the following week, had us up super early..!

As we were up so early, we decided to go out to Perkins for breakfast, this morning. We had a pot of coffee, a glass of orange juice and a glass of milk. DS1 had the French Toast platter with scrambled egg and bacon, DH had the Build Your Own Breakfast with eggs, hash browns and sausage patties. This came with 3 buttermilk pancakes. DS2 had a grilled cheese with fries (yes, at 9.00am). I had Eggs in a Hole - sourdough bread grilled with an egg in the middle. This came with hash browns and bacon. Cost was $39 not including tip. We also had a coupon for 20% off. The service was absolutely terrible. The food had been left under heat lamps, so the eggs were hard and congealed. Coffee wasn't refilled and we had to ask for the cookies that came with the kids meal. Server was totally disinterested and more concerned with the American couple sitting behind us. Very disappointing for Perkins.

After a lovely game of mini golf (in the baking heat) at Congo River Golf on the 192, we headed to Disney Springs to see Toy Story 4. We had an hour to wait before the movie started, so we decided to have a drink in Splitsville. Two lemonades, a Pepsi and a Bud Light. The server also brought us iced water, as it was really warm today. We got refills on the Pepsi and Lemonade, although we didn't ask for them. I was a bit nervous about how much it was going to cost us, considering we hadn't asked for refills..! The bill came to $8.52. We immediately queried it with our server as the sodas had been clearly unaccounted for. He apologised and said he didn't charge us for the sodas, as he had left us waiting (which he hadn't). He said the sodas “were on him”. Not only that, when he heard we were going to the movies, he insisted he refill our drinks (not the Bud Light unfortunately ). So in total we had 3 Pepsis, 5 lemonades and a Bud Light for $8.52! A little bit of Disney magic and we made sure to thank him and tipped him well..

At the movies, we got three large popcorns and a bag of Skittles. Cost $33.84.

Toy Story 4 was brilliant – me and DS2 cried. The other two didn't shed a tear - heartless..! DH did mention something about the pollen count and allergies though..

After the movie, we went to Walmart for a few supplies – breakfast cereal, Oreos and alcohol. Cost $40.00.

Dinner this evening was take out from Panda Express and McDonalds. We had the Family Feast from Panda Express – a large noodles and a large rice along with 3 entrees. We chose Orange Chicken, Sweet Fire Chicken Breast and Shang-hai Angus Steak. Really tasty and more than enough for all of us to share - we left about a third. Cost was $41. DS2 had a six piece Nugget Happy Meal with fries, apple slices and a drink. Cost - $4.08.

Evening finished off with beer and wine (again..!) while sitting around the pool enjoying the fading sun.

Total food spends today - $166.44
Overall food spends - £36.26 & $559.69
Old 8 Aug 19, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Pity about the service in Perkins but your server in Splitsville made up for it.
Panda Express is a firm favourite in this household and is top of the as yet short list DS has for our trip next year.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List