Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 7 Jul 12, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
001_ATLANTIS
Serious Dibber

Needing Suggestions Now!

Putting the final touches to my plan and desperately need some inspirational ideas for non theme park stuff i.e. day trips and perhaps a couple of evenings.

I think the trouble is that when you have been so many times it gets really difficult to find something that you just haven't done before.

I don't mind driving somewhere, but it needs to be under 90 minutes, and I don't really fancy a beach or a State Park. That said, I have thought about Clearwater again (its been a few years) but other than the Seascreamer or lying on the beach, what else is there to do that makes the drive worthwhile?

I'm ruling out the following:

Baloon Rides - Cocoa Beach - Kennedy Space Centre - Westridge Ranch - Mount Dora - La Nouba - Blue Man Group - ANY Dinner Show
CityWalk - Downtown Disney - Boardwalk - Big Cat Rescue

I know it maybe sounds like I'm hard to please but it's really not like that! I would just love to do something DIFFFERENT. There must be places people have been. hidden gems, that don't figure in the regular tourist blurb. Now is the time to spill! Your secrets are safe with your fellow Dibbers!
001_ATLANTIS is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 12, 12:38 AM  
Link to this Post
chrisblanc
Apprentice Imagineer

How about the Eco Safaris place, that looks good. There's a 2 hour coach safari, a horseback safari and you can even do an overnight job, very City Slickers!

floridaecosafaris/
Old 8 Jul 12, 01:55 AM  
Link to this Post

cyclops

How about oak ridge gun range? We loved that and it's certainly differant an animal interaction at seaworld? We love the belugas I know you said no theme parks but if you haven't done anything like that it really is amazing.

Edited at 01:58 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 12, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post

How about a trip to Winter Park. As well as the boat trip to ogle the magnificent mansions there is a great museum and boutique shopping. Alternatively, at the other end of the scale, visit Auburndale Flea Market at a weekend. A real local market with entertainment for the children and a lovely drive to get there.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 12, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Celica190
Imagineer

Have you ever been to Lakeridge Winery and Vineyard? It's about half an hour north on the US27 from the junction with the 192. You can do a free tour of their facility, which is small, and have a free wine tasting. Be careful if you're the driver as I'm sure their generosity would have you over the limit to drive There's also a souvenir / gift shop where you can buy wine related items. We got 4 bottles of wine, 3 of which made it home in our hold luggage, and a bottle of BBQ sauce, which is yummy.

1996 Days Inn Universal 1999, 2003 & 2005 Quality Inn International 2007 and 2011 Bahama Bay Resort
Celica190 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 12, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
GOLFMAD
Excited about Disney

It's been mentioned on other threads of this nature - but how about the Silver Moon Drive-In at Lakeland.

Inexpensive and a great real American night out!

Also Minor League Baseball at Lakeland Flying Tigers is a good experience where you get to meet the locals in one of their favourite environments.
2013 -Southern Dunes, 2014 Westridge
, 2015 Southern Dunes2017 Sunridge Woods
GOLFMAD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 12, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
PerksP
Imagineer

There were lots of votes for ZETours (segway tours) on this link

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=622790

I've added it to our "to do list" for April 2013 - 14 year old a bit self-conscious about the idea but I'll get her on one somehow
PerksP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 12, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Swim with manatee, you can either book a full day trip or the swim only. Silversprings - about 90 minutes away and beautiful and relaxed. Daytona Speedway, they have a visitors exhibition that was excellent (and I dont like motor sport). Airboat ride.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 12, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
dismum
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 4
Guidebook Photos: 2
Fruit picking and other things on HWY 27? is always fun
showcaseofcitrus/home/
dismum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 12, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
grottyrotty
Imagineer

How about hiring a canoe and paddling down the Hillsborough river - fab experience. canoeescape/

You park up and are driven (with canoe on a trailer) to the river. If you need instruction in paddling a canoe, it is given as you enter the water. it is all down stream, and there are various stop off points (for a picnic or to end the canoeing). You then contact them, and they come and pick you and the canoe up and take you back to your car.

You do get rather up close to the wildlife!

We've done this twice and love it. It gets good reviews on TripAdvisor too.

Deb