Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 22 Jun 16, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
'OHANA
Imagineer

Traveller's cheques - still useable most places?

Hi all,

I've swithered and swayed and I think we are much safer just taking traveller's cheques again with us this year. We had Fairfx cards last year and whilst it's easy etc, I'm rubbish at keeping track even with an app and would rather have 'cash in hand' for each day, so to speak. Don't want to take that much cash and I like the fact that you can pay for something with TC and get cash back as change.

My question is... it's been a couple of years since we've been and I think the only place we had an issue with them was a McD's on International Drive. Are they still fairly useable everywhere?

Also, I need to get all our spends in one go - looking at about $3200 worth or thereabouts. Am I likely to be able to go into somewhere and purchase that many in one go? Or will I need to order them in? I'm assuming you can't order them online as you need to sign them there and then when you buy them, is that right?

Thanks in advance!
'OHANA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 16, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggerdigger
Very Serious Dibber

We are of same opinion concerning security and have once again opted for Travellers cheques.

I ordered some online a few weeks ago from Tesco and yesterday I ordered some online from the Post Office.

As far as a I know most places still accept them however there have been some reports of staff in shops etc not knowing how to process them as payment through tills which could be a pain!

Old 22 Jun 16, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
LovesDisney12
Proud to wear my Ears

We used lots of travellers cheques in October without any difficulty whatsoever. We used them in shops, theme parks, resorts, Disney Springs. We'll be using them again next year
LovesDisney12 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 16, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
LovesDisney12
Proud to wear my Ears

We used lots of travellers cheques in October without any difficulty whatsoever. We used them in shops, theme parks, resorts, Disney Springs. We'll be using them again next year

We ordered ours from American Express.
LovesDisney12 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 16, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
emilygrace
Chilling at Carribean Beach

I have always been a fan of TC's but we went last August and there did seem to be some places that didn't except them eg Pandora and in some shops it took ages to find someone who knew what to do without them it wasn't worth it. After using them in all the years I've been going to Orlando don't think I will bother next time.
Having said that the Disney etc still take them and the souvenir shops along I drive accept them also.
emilygrace is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 16, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by emilygrace View Post
I have always been a fan of TC's but we went last August and there did seem to be some places that didn't except them eg Pandora and in some shops it took ages to find someone who knew what to do without them it wasn't worth it. After using them in all the years I've been going to Orlando don't think I will bother next time.
Having said that the Disney etc still take them and the souvenir shops along I drive accept them also.
Which Pandora store was that...my daughter used them in May at the Mall of Millenia store
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 16, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Given the various options like Revolut and SuperCard I am amazed TC are still considered in all honesty. Two people sign up for free Revolut cards; hold the balance on either card and move money around without hassle in case the card is lost.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 16, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
emilygrace
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
Which Pandora store was that...my daughter used them in May at the Mall of Millenia store
The Florida mall we were there for a good 15 mins trying to find someone who new how to use them then said they couldn't take them it's quite possible they got sick and just told us they didn't take them because they didn't know what to do with them
emilygrace is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 16, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

I'm still a fan of travellers cheques - I did say after our trip two years ago that next time we would use a money card. We spent a week on the coast and had a few issues changing them there but there was a bank nearby so we ended up popping there every couple of days.

I just find it much easier with travellers cheques to keep track of what I've spent and I like to be able to use one and get some change for small things like drinks and ice creams.

We have some cash left over from last time and have bought some travellers cheques yesterday. We still need more so may get a card and see how we get on with it.
Orlando/Indian Shores - Aug 14 Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 16
Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 18

Edited at 01:31 PM.
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 16, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
'OHANA
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Hayley&Gareth View Post
Given the various options like Revolut and SuperCard I am amazed TC are still considered in all honesty. Two people sign up for free Revolut cards; hold the balance on either card and move money around without hassle in case the card is lost.
We have Fairfx cards and used them last time but didn't like them. I said they were easy to use but not for us.
'OHANA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread