Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 6 Jan 20, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I hate putting them up and I hate taking them down, could I just be lazy?
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by themeparksandy View Post
I thought it was after the 12th Night the tree and decorations came down as the 3 wise men visited Jesus on the 6th Jan after following the lights. Anyway we took them down on the 1st Jan.
Love the pic above of the tree and the Earl of Sandwich. My favourite place to eat at Disney.
There's some debate as to what is the twelfth night (hence why I didn't mention it in my initial post).

The 12th day of Christmas is 5th January (25th Dec being the first day). As per the song, the last present from your true love will arrive on the 5th. I therefore assume the decorations are taken down by the end of that 12th day (yesterday), with the end of that 12th day being the 12th night.

I think some people consider the first night of Christmas to be the night between Christmas Eve and Christmas Day (i.e. Father Christmas arrives on the first night of Christmas). That would make the night between the 4th and 5th of January the twelfth night. That is, the 12th night comes before the 12th day.

Whichever way you look at it, we're now past the 12th night.

Anyway, I thought the superstition was that you had to take the decorations down on or before the 12th night. Not after the 12th night?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 11:04 AM.
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I hate putting them up and I hate taking them down, could I just be lazy?
Probably.

(I'm not a fan of putting them up and I'm certainly not a fan of taking them down. And I know it's because I'm lazy)

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
There's some debate as to what is the twelfth night (hence why I didn't mention it in my initial post).

The 12th day of Christmas is 5th January (25th Dec being the first day). As per the song, the last present from your true love will arrive on the 5th. I therefore assume the decorations are taken down by the end of that 12th day (yesterday), with the end of that 12th day being the 12th night.

I think some people consider the first night of Christmas to be the night between Christmas Eve and Christmas Day (i.e. Father Christmas arrives on the first night of Christmas). That would make the night between the 4th and 5th of January the twelfth night. That is, the 12th night comes before the 12th day.

Whichever way you look at it, we're now past the 12th night.

Anyway, I thought the superstition was that you had to take the decorations down on or before the 12th night. Not after the 12th night?
Not quite. Some traditionalists consider the 6th January to be Twelfth Night, meaning you should be taking your decorations down today, eg:

"Not everyone agrees however. Many other Christian groups count the 12 days of Christmas as starting the day after Christmas Day – making 6 January the Twelfth Night. Countries which also follow the January 6 tradition include Germany, Poland and the Czech Republic. "

Source: telegraph/christma...twelfth-night/

(I disagree and consider the 5th to be Twelfth Night)

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I thought Twelfth Night was 6th Jan. Can't remember if you had to take them down on or before it tho. Definitely not after.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Not quite. Some traditionalists consider the 6th January to be Twelfth Night, meaning you should be taking your decorations down today, eg:
Erm, as it says on that webpage, "A count of exactly 12 days from 25 December arrives at 5 January. According to the Church of England, this day [5th Jan] is Twelfth Night. The day of Epiphany – when the three wise men came – is the day after, on 6 January."

And it goes on to say,

"So which date is correct? Both. Although in the UK, Sunday 5th January 2020 is the date most people will stick to".

So, anyone following the Church of England in the UK should have taken their decorations down yesterday. Not today.

It's only those who follow a different Christian group or who live in Germany, Poland or the Czech Republic who might take down their decorations today.

However, considering I thought the superstition was that you're not supposed to leave the decorations up after the Twelfth Night, then you can take down the decorations any time before the Twelfth Night. So Sunday would be the best day to take them down to avoid the superstition, assuming both the Church of England definition and the "traditionalists" definition of the Twelfth Night.

BTW, does this mean that for non-CofE Christians that they don't count the night of 25th December as the First Night of Christmas? That seems... odd.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 02:54 PM.
Old 6 Jan 20, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Anyway, it's because of debates like this that I said "It’s the twelfth day of Christmas" in my original post, and not Twelfth Night.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 7 Jan 20, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Mine still up.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Took our down at the weekend much to ds dismay - lots of tears & tantrums since as he doesn't cope well with change and really really wanted it the tree to stay up I feel really bad for causing him so much distress but it had to be done.

He already counting down the days till it can go up again
did wonder about doing an easter tree this year?
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List