Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 17 Dec 19, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
jags
Excited about Disney

Xmas 2020 NYC & Orlando HELP!

Hi Dibbers, apologies for long post but need your expert advice. My son will be 16 on Xmas day 2020 and would like surprise him. Work leave just been authorised so ready to book. Can travel between 19/12/20 - 4/1/21. We have been to Orlando 4 times however only during October half term. Never been to NYC. Those of you who have been to both places during Xmas pls share your booking tips, how long before did you book etc. Would love to stay onsite at Disney but depends on price. How long would you advice staying at NYC? We are a family of 4, 2 adults 2 ch (age 16 &12) at time of travel. Thank you!
jags is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 19, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post

I have been to NY at Christmas, other than there is a very nice tree at the Rockerfeller Centre, I found there was very little interest in Christmas and there was not much to do on the day. We would never spend Christmas Day there again, Christmas is almost a forbidden word in some parts of the US. Think “Happy Holidays”.

Nevertheless, it is one of my favourite cities in the world and where I shall spend my 50th birthday in 2020 (but it is not at Christmas). We think four days will work for us, but we have been many times before, and then we will go to Orlando and Disney for the remainder of the trip.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 19, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney20152
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

We are in Florida at the minute, staying on site for a week then moving to a villa with our friends. I would definitely recommend staying on site, it’s so convenient x
Disney20152 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 19, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Apprentice Imagineer

You can see another Norway Spruce in Trafalgar Square... and there's loads of ice skating in London, too, isn't there?

NYC has a unique feel. Nice to be there. We like to look at the simple Christmas lights put up in the trees on Broadway (upper west side) and other streets. Loads of temporary "tree lots" put up on sidewalks before Christmas. Some caroling and special Christmas menus around. Columbus Circle has a Christmas market that's nice for the season, but UK cities have those too. And Germany!

If you're lucky enough to get some snow, walking in Central Park in the snow's a treat.
Old 17 Dec 19, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Well we went Xmas Eve 2016 to NY, loved it, ran round Central Park then we skated at Rockerfeller, then Top of Rock, went to Times Square crazy busy had lovely meal in our hotel then saw Jersey Boys all on Xmas Day
If I were you do 4 nights NY then 10 Orlando maybe
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 19, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
EatandPlay
Apprentice Imagineer
- DIBB Advertiser -

I agree with ClaireNJ on the durations. 4 and 10 days. I find the NYC Xmas vibe is stronger than Orlando. It reminds me of London in some ways. Just a more organic, real Xmas feel. But let's face it...the Orlando Xmas weather is better.
Old 17 Dec 19, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
ladyofleisure
Excited about Disney

The holidays decorations and special shows in Orlando are amazing but so crowded and travel can take a lot longer than other times of the year especially NYC - am so grateful I got to see it all though and would also give my vote for 4 days NYC then the comparative warmth of Orlando which can be lovely in the day but you def. need warm clothing in the evening. My work colleague has just returned, they didn’t know about this and were at the outlets shopping for jeans and hoodies day 2...

A link to my 2020 trip to Los Angeles:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1161735

A link to my 2017 trip to POR and HRH is show below:
Star Wars, Bar Bores, Car Tours and No Chores!

A link to my 2015 trip to CBR and RPR is shown below:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...me+the +power
ladyofleisure is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 19, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
jags
Excited about Disney

Thank you so much for the replies everyone, it’s really helpful. I will be keeping a close eye on flights from now, over the Christmas sales. I love the idea of warm weather on actual Xmas Day, just need to work out the costings 😬
jags is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
ukman
slightly serious Dibber

We have not long come back from 19 days. We flew from London via new York to Miami on the 18th December. Having flown into new York before, knew what to expect, so i would say if anyone flying via New York is to make sure you have at least 3 hours changeover as going through immigration can be a little time consuming.

Getting out of Miami, was all so simple. We spent 2 days in the red roof plus Miami. It was ok, breakfast included. Because of close proximity, didn't pick up car hire till the next day. Because of late flight felt it would be a waste of a day renting car hire on the same day..

The drive from miami to orlando was straight forward, took just over 3 hours to villa.
Our dibb villa was fantastic, we did have a few issues but quickly resolved by the management company.

Spent an amazing few weeks in villa, the the park, some days weather was not best but we made the best,

This is probably our 7th trip at Xmas, or favourite time of year to travel, we have done summers and looking at 2021 summer for 4 weeks.
ukman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List