Around 20% 245 30.28%
Around 25% 4 0.49%
Voters: 809. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 Sep 18, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Nimbus I am very disappointed, you didn't list 27% after tax or 'a straight $50 if feeling generous', so I am unable to vote at all.

Mean average of 16.75%? That is erm.. mean.

I had better watch out or I'll have the Disney cast member sending me PMs again (I hasten to add it was on Facebook, not the British CMs who appear on here).
Here's a tip for you...

It wasn't Nimbus.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 18, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loftus View Post
Here's a tip for you...

It wasn't Nimbus.
Ha ha, yes will teach me to read it all, saw Nimbus page 1 and Nimbus talking about it on the other thread. Mickeyhouse I apologise for attributing your work to someone else. Sorry Nimbus for giving you the credit!

Edited at 10:07 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 18, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Thanks for the votes guys. Interesting that the majority of people tip under 20%.

Edited at 07:58 AM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 18, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Ha ha, yes will teach me to read it all, saw Nimbus page 1 and Nimbus talking about it on the other thread. Mickeyhouse I apologise for attributing your work to someone else. Sorry Nimbus for giving you the credit!
Tut tut not like you to make a mistake YT!
And and by the way it’s Busch Gardens - your countdown needs changing 🤣
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 18, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Nimbus***** edit*** I mean Mickey House I am very disappointed...

I do enjoy a latte at Costa though.

Mean average of 16.75%? That is erm.. mean.
The mean average is now 17.1%. There are more DIBBers who tip less than 18% than who tip more than 18%.

However, the mode (i.e. the tip most often given by DIBBers) is 20%. And that is for "okay" service, not "good" service*.

Statistics, eh?

(* Considering a large number of DIBBers tip 20% for "okay" service, that means many of them are probably happy to tip more than 20% (perhaps 25%?) for excellent service. Which surprises me considering the comments I've seen).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 18, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post

I do enjoy a latte at Costa though.

The mean average is now 17.1%. There are more DIBBers who tip less than 18% than who tip more than 18%.

However, the mode (i.e. the tip most often given by DIBBers) is 20%. And that is for "okay" service, not "good" service*.

Statistics, eh?

(* Considering a large number of DIBBers tip 20% for "okay" service, that means many of them are probably happy to tip more than 20% (perhaps 25%?) for excellent service. Which surprises me considering the comments I've seen).
In almost 30 years of going to Florida it is not very often we've had 'excellent' service. Some people might consider it 'excellent' if they get a drinks refill or two, which is just frankly the basics of what a server is paid to do, or even small talk from the server such as asking what parks we've been to and telling us how good pandora is at AK isn't 'excellent' in my book and doesn't increase the tip from me.

Okay is just the average/normal standard of service I usually get in a restaurant in Florida.

Edited at 11:07 AM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 18, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
In almost 30 years of going to Florida it is not very often we've had 'excellent' service. Some people might consider it 'excellent' if they get a drinks refill or two, which is just frankly the basics of what a server is paid to do, or even small talk from the server such as asking what parks we've been to and telling us how good pandora is at AK isn't 'excellent' in my book and doesn't increase the tip from me.

Okay is just the average/normal standard of service I usually get in a restaurant in Florida.
The problem is what defines excellent service, it's different things for different people. I don't particularly want conversation beyond the usual pleasantries. I want my order taken promptly, my food delivered promptly and not to feel rushed through courses or to wait too long either. If I'm drinking soft drinks that are refilled I want the refills without prompting, or to be asked without prompting. If there is an issue with my food - not the fault of the server - I want them to sort it. Do most of that and you'll get the 20%.
To be fair that's what happens almost all of the time. I don't deduct money for chat, that's just my preference.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 18, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post

Excellent post. If I’m honest I cannot for the life of me what “excellent “ service is from a server?! I too have been traveling to the USA for over 25 years. I expect the following
  • Prompt attention
  • Food as ordered to the right person
  • Reasonably spaced are you ok checks
  • Table cleared properly between courses
  • Politeness, including small talk
  • Refills as per menU

If there is a problem with the food I expect them to sort it, I wouldn’t deduct money if sorted.

That’s it, it’s the bare basics of being a server and that’s why my tip is...

Edited at 11:42 AM.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 18, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Excellent post. If I’m honest I cannot for the life of me what “excellent “ service is from a server?! I too have been traveling to the USA for over 25 years. I expect the following
  • Prompt attention
  • Food as ordered to the right person
  • Reasonably spaced are you ok checks
  • Table cleared properly between courses
  • Politeness, including small talk
  • Refills as per menU

If there is a problem with the food I expect them to sort it, I wouldn’t deduct money if sorted.

That’s it, it’s the bare basics of being a server and that’s why my tip is...

Agree with most of that except the small talk, drives me mad. Just present my meal thankyou.
greekgranny is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 18, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
Agree with most of that except the small talk, drives me mad. Just present my meal thankyou.
Yes, I agree but some people have stated asking about where are you staying etc etc = small talk = excellent service. NO, like you not for me
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List