Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 23 Oct 19, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
TheGrahams
Apprentice Imagineer

I invested in a soup maker which has made a great difference, made double batch carrot coriander yesterday, so cheap, 1kg carrot, packet fresh coriander, 2 onions and 2 potatoes, 2 days starters for 4 adults. Put it all all 20 minutes later soup just roughly cut everything, it does the rest.
I also double batch sphaggetti Bol, lasagna, curries, chillis, freeze half for another week.
Slow cooker amazing too for stews, roasts, chicken, put in off to work come back and ready. Same big batch.

Billy , Liz , Liam & Gemma
TheGrahams is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
I wish mine would take it or leave it. The kids just say dinner is rubbish but thats cos Ive cooked it. Tell them its someone else and they would say its great.

My problem is my hubby. He is so annoying,awkward and fussy with dinners. I will write out each week what we are having. Two hours before its due on the table I dont fancy that to which I will usually reel off another thing or two and he probably wont wNt that either but cant tell me what he wants. Hes really made me cross with it tonight.
He seems to think that all my dinners should be fantastic and that just doesnt happen.
I tried an American recipe for bourbon chicken and no one liked that either.
Something that was acceptable last week is not ok this week. We cant have the same dinner over and over again.
Even when I cook the chips in the activity, I do it the exact same way every time but occasionally they dont come out nice.
Chilli, bolognese, tagalitelle, chips (usually) currys. These are all from scratch
The freezer stuff tends to be pies, they were little Birdseye ones, fish in batter, chicken nuggets for kids (sometimes have to feed them long time before ours) and peas and sweet corn.

Its not like I dont try but it doesnt alway seem to work out. Wish people would be grateful its on the table for them and they arent having to do it themselves. I dont even mind that cooking is my job to do as I work less. I really do mind that people are ungrateful I suppose.
Vampires that must be so hard. You seem to be making a lot of effort without much support/recognition.
Solution would be easy for me. Eat it or make your own. Ive served some shockers here and they all know they have a choice - eat it or starve (or they could moan and wear it but theyve never chosen that option).
I dont like cooking at the best of times so if I got criticised for trying it would really annoy me.
Continue to write out each week what you are making, give them the option to contribute then and if not make what you planned. They can then eat it or sort themselves. If it continues, go on strike and just make your own
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Vampireness I agree with those who say it's your husband who's the problem not you. Probably shouldn't mention other forums on here but I respectfully suggest you Google AIBU on your computer and pop over to Mumsnet, it will be an eye-opener.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

Mobile

If I were you, I'd batch cook some basic meals, eg mince, onion, carrots and then divide it up into 3 lots. One for Bolognese, one for chilli and one for cottage pie. Freeze portions accordingly but add extra ingredients to make those particular meals as wanted. Saves time, and cook what you fancy!

I'd also get a slowcooker, friends make all sorts in theirs, inc jacket spuds... .? Not tried this 🤔

I'd also invest in a cookery book for your other half and get him to cook a family meal once a week to start with!
If any of mine moaned, then they cook it themselves or added ketchup 😆
Mrs Red C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I am not the best cook in the world. I am also a bit of a softie but no chance would I put up with that from my husband. He would eat what I make or eat nothing. He would soon be learning. I also started off cooking all the meals even though I also work and I cant break this habit. My friends think I am mad but all my family sit together to eat every night. No helping yourself and eating when you feel like it. Luckily husband and son will eat anything it is daughter I have some problems with. If she wont have what we are having it us beans in toast or jacket spud.
I dont make processed food. It find it not nice and actually quite difficult to make right ! Pizzas on a Friday and that is it. I am probably a bit fussy myself and wont eat nuggets, pies, frozen chips etc.
I find the easiest meals are casseroles, currys, stews, pasta etc. I love one pot cooking ! As others have said make 2 meals and freeze one. I would steer away from the ready made food and make your own. Home made food us cheaper, easier to make and healthier. The Jamie Oliver Ministry of Food cookery book is good and and full of easy to make meals.

I am sure our local college at one time did basic cookery courses. Might be worth having a look locally.

Good luck, dont let yourself get down over it but I think you do need to get tougher. If they are hungry they will eat it !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Mobile

I'd like to be good at cooking but the reality is that I'm not. I do try and try to vary the meals that I cook but some recipes, especially from Pinch of Nom have been horrible!

Asda have just added a recipe section to their online grocery website. You choose the meal and then click once and the ingredients will be added to the basket. It's very easy and the meals I've cooked have been simple to make and tasty.

Now, my hubby was raised to eat what's put in front of you and be grateful for it! Quite old fashioned and I'm not that strict with him but he would never be nasty about my attempt at trying something different or say at short notice he didn't fancy what I was cooking. Unless it was followed by a suggestion of eating out!
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

As your kids are 4 and 6? I would be questioning why they are speaking to you like this they are obviously copying the dad
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

I'm not a bad cook, but I hate cooking. After a long day at work getting in around 6pm the last thing I want to do is spend an hour cooking!

We tend to cook everything from scratch too, so that takes longer. What we try and do is have some home cooked meals in the freezer for a couple of nights a week and always try and cook enough for a few portions each when I do cook midweek so we can have it a couple of nights and / or freeze the rest. It means we only realistically cook 2/3 nights per week.

I do most of it as my OH doesn't get in until 7, but on Friday he cooks his specialty Hunters Chicken each week

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

I also agree, there is no way I would put up with the other half doing that. If he complained about my food or said he didnt want it then I wouldnt cook again.

We both do our equal share of the cooking and neither of us would complain about the others meal that theyve made.

You need to speak to him about having some manners and consideration because its clearly affecting your confidence.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ziggyzag View Post
As your kids are 4 and 6? I would be questioning why they are speaking to you like this they are obviously copying the dad
Seriously you should speak to your husband about this. Please do it for your own sake and indeed for your children, they will find life very hard if they think it's ok to demean any adult, let alone their mother.

I know you have said you are estranged from your family so please listen to all of us on here who are really trying to help you. And please don't take offence we aren't having a go at you.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List