Notices

Old 28 Oct 19, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Hong Kong 2019 - Day 3, University Markets and a Temple

Again, the sun has not been listening! Overcast but still warm. O had set his alarm clock as he needed to study!

It went off at 7.10am. I had had another mixed night. We each had a shower and then went down for breakfast.

Breakfast was pretty much a repeat of yesterday!

We are both intrigued by the use of bamboo as scaffolding. We are on the 22nd floor...

This was the day I was really looking forward to - visiting O's university.

We took the MTR to Hang Hau (1 stop) and then the green mini bus to the university. It only took about 15 minutes overall - though the minibus is a bit of a thrill ride!

The university is built into a very steep hill in Clearwater Bay. The academic building are at the top and the accommodation and the sport facilities are at the bottom.

O's dorm as about as far down as you can go - about 4 escalators and two 10 storey lifts. This is from the top.

And this is his hall. I didn't go in as there is a security guard. Though he did promise his room was tidy. One of his roommates likes hoovering and as there is so little space they keep it as tidy as possible!

The view - it is such a hard life

And back up to the library etc!

And from the very top!

O took me all around! He is thankfully very happy here and said he still can't quite believe that he got in!

We said out goodbyes for the day. He was going to study as he has two exams on Tuesday and I was going exploring.

I caught the bus back to Hang Hau MTR.

In one of the omnipresent malls I had a cappuccino from the local equivalent of Starbucks. I then caught the MTR back to the hotel to change into my comfortable shoes.

I decided I would go back to the Ladies Market as I wanted a few items - some bags and keyrings as presents. I got what I wanted fairly easily.

Here they are - that is me sorted!

I then wandered on to some other markets in the Mongkok district. As it was a Sunday it was exceptionally busy!

Past the goldfish market. Not really sure how I felt about this. This was one of the better displays. One had a tank that was just rammed packed with goldfish which I didn't like at all.

And then the flower market which was more palatable.

I found my way back to MTR and caught the train to Wong Tai Sin.

Here I made my way to Sik Sik Yuen Wong Tai Sin Temple. The temple was built in 1973 and is dedicated to the god of that name, who began his life as a humble shepherd in Zhèjiāng province. When he was 15 an immortal taught Wong Tai Sin how to make a herbal potion that could cure all illnesses. He is worshipped both by the sick and those trying to avoid illness.

Walking up to the temple there were literally hundreds of fortune teller booths. There were not any customers but there must be at some stage!

I love religious buildings even though I am not particularly religious as they are often a haven of peace and tranquility.

It is interesting to see how many temples there are in the midst of all the high rise buildings.

Tucked behind the temple was a very peaceful garden. I spent a good half hour wandering around it, enjoying the sights before me!

Unsurprising there was a mall right next door to the temple. I was not too hungry so I got an egg sandwich and a custard tart.

I made my way back to the hotel and had a late lunch and a rest.

After a rest I walked across to yet another mall that we could see from the room. This has been the only place I have seen protest material and graffiti.

This was on the covered walkway across the park. There have been a lot of card readers out of action at the MTR stations but no actual protest material.

Also on the walkway were hundred of ladies sitting in groups. I had seen a documentary about them a few months ago. They work as domestic help and on their day off they get together in public spaces. They make makeshift seating areas and chat, eat and nap together. I didn't like to take any photos as it seemed a massive invasion of their privacy.

O came back about 8 pm - we met at the entrance to the MTR. After a quick discussion, he confessed he would like to go back to Pizza Express as he is missing European food.

We shared a margarita pizza and a mushroom risotto. O also has his banana dessert! He told me all about Mandarin - there are no tenses, computers are called electronic brains, 22 = 2x20 plus 2 and the pronunciation is very difficult (that's it in s nutshell - he told me lots more!)

The meal was about HK320/40 euros.

We went back to the room before I was kicked out again so he could recite his Chinese again.

Lights went out about 10ish.

Edited at 01:57 PM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 19, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 28 Oct 19 12:52 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 19, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

How nice to be able to see the university for yourself, it looks fabulous. Such beautiful views and the accommodation block looks very new and modern

I love the temple and gardens, like you I find religious buildings very relaxing and calming. We found it strange in Vietnam that they would be just tucked away in main streets or close to high rise buildings.

The fish market would upset me too, I realise it’s a different culture but it just would be too hard for me. I’m much happier with the flower market 😀

It must be a very strange time to visit Hong Kong, with the protest graffiti around. You certainly are seeing history being made

I’m sure the highlight of your trip is your chats with O. I know when we were in Vietnam this summer with our son, we really enjoyed just having everyday chats and spending time with him. Enjoy your time together xx
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 19, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Lovely pictures, the temple and gardens look very peaceful. Glad you got to visit the uni and see where O is studying
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 19, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I bet you feel so much better now you have had a look round the university and seen where O is studying

Joan
Old 29 Oct 19, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
How nice to be able to see the university for yourself, it looks fabulous. Such beautiful views and the accommodation block looks very new and modern

I love the temple and gardens, like you I find religious buildings very relaxing and calming. We found it strange in Vietnam that they would be just tucked away in main streets or close to high rise buildings.

The fish market would upset me too, I realise it’s a different culture but it just would be too hard for me. I’m much happier with the flower market 😀

It must be a very strange time to visit Hong Kong, with the protest graffiti around. You certainly are seeing history being made

I’m sure the highlight of your trip is your chats with O. I know when we were in Vietnam this summer with our son, we really enjoyed just having everyday chats and spending time with him. Enjoy your time together xx
O slept at the university last night as he has his two exams today! Was a quiet day without him yesterday. I am looking forward to seeing him tonight!

There was apparently rioting near where the markets were on Sunday evening but there seems less about it in the press as time hours on. The new normal?

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 19, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dubletrub View Post
Lovely pictures, the temple and gardens look very peaceful. Glad you got to visit the uni and see where O is studying
Seeing the uni with my actual eyes was great as it makes it easier to visualize where he is. Hopefully the first visit of many!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Old 29 Oct 19, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
I bet you feel so much better now you have had a look round the university and seen where O is studying

Joan
As a mum, it is so reassuring to have seen it for real! We chat everyday via WhatsApp but it is so much better to see it all for real

Index of my trip reports
Old 29 Oct 19, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

It’s a real city of contrasts - beautiful gardens and high rise buildings! O’s university does look like it’s from a sci-if movie. I’m glad you’re having a good visit and getting to spend time with your son
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 19, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
It’s a real city of contrasts - beautiful gardens and high rise buildings! O’s university does look like it’s from a sci-if movie. I’m glad you’re having a good visit and getting to spend time with your son
Thanks -hope you are enjoying your mini trip up north too!
The campus sure is pretty neat - it is quite a young university so I guess that is why it looks so modern.

Index of my trip reports