Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.
Ocean Florida
Unread 4 Dec 19, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

PPM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 6
Can someone with the knowledge tell me how raw untreated beef and pork bought at one supermarket have less flavour than the same bought at another supermarket?

Is it to do with what the animals are fed?
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
RC Flying Corfu 1 week May 2 weeks Aug
Unread 4 Dec 19, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
jemett
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Yes I only buy their free range chicken and always shop at the local butcher for other meat.

EMMA
jemett is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Orlando & Anna Maria
Unread 4 Dec 19, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
VIP Dibber

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Can someone with the knowledge tell me how raw untreated beef and pork bought at one supermarket have less flavour than the same bought at another supermarket?

I would like to,know the answer too.

19 August 2020 three night trip to Slough to attend Countryfile Live. 🐂
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Dec 19, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I am really not a fan of Aldi either. I do buy some items but I no longer buy the meat after the incident when I sliced in to a chicken to find the meat bright green. ( due to too much growth hormone injected in to it) I was throwing away too much fruit and veg, the mackerel was hit and miss too. I have been buying my meat for the month from Bury Market and it is cheaper and far tastier and leaner. I do buy some non perishables from Aldi and fruit/ veg from Morrisons. I do think with Aldi that some areas branches are better than others.
I really dont like Lidl. I actually find it more expensive than Morrisons and the branch near us is a bit scruffy.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Family week in the Algarve
Unread 4 Dec 19, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Proud to wear my Ears

I do buy my non-perishables from Aldi from time to time. When I go, I'll get a day or two worth of fruit and veg (it doesn't last more than a day or two). We do prefer the price savings from Aldi, but we have found we cannnot rely on it for our regular food shop.
NYC 2013, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Boston 2019 Philadelphia 2020
sunshines is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Dec 19, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Clairelovestate
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by PPM View Post

Not 100% but I think its a combination of things such as what the animal is fed, how the meat is treated once cut off, amount of fat in it, and the way its stored too, if its organic and the age of the animal when it went to slaughter. The last one can make a big difference in terms of toughness.

I do notice a difference when my mum cooks a roast beef, weather she got the meat from Tesco or Waitrose/local farm.
Clairelovestate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Disneyland Paris!
Unread 4 Dec 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
I am really not a fan of Aldi either. I do buy some items but I no longer buy the meat after the incident when I sliced in to a chicken to find the meat bright green. ( due to too much growth hormone injected in to it) I was throwing away too much fruit and veg, the mackerel was hit and miss too. I have been buying my meat for the month from Bury Market and it is cheaper and far tastier and leaner. I do buy some non perishables from Aldi and fruit/ veg from Morrisons. I do think with Aldi that some areas branches are better than others.
I really dont like Lidl. I actually find it more expensive than Morrisons and the branch near us is a bit scruffy.
I had that with a chicken from Asda. Its the chickens gall bladder that hadnt been removed.
bluedave is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Dec 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

I use so many supermarkets but prefer my meats from m & s, Waitrose and ALDI. I think the meat from those shops are far better than Asda/Tesco/Sainsburys. I like the fact that all the meat in Aldi is British as we have higher welfare standards than some other countries and I think its better for the environment not to ship food overseas if it can be readily produced here.
Cant say Ive ever had tasteless meat from Aldi
bluedave is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote