Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 23 Dec 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile Glazing a cooked ham

So the ONE job my OH had to do this year was to get an uncooked gammon from his butcher friend at the golf club. Imagine my surprise (fury!) when he turns up yesterday with an already cooked ham.
I usually do the Nigella Cola recipe in the slow cooker but now it’s already cooked can I sling it in the oven with a glaze from being refrigerated?
Daft question I know but I usually glaze it when it’s still hot from the slow cooker and unsure of the whole heating/reheating of it. We want the ham cold for Boxing Day

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 19, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

I wouldnt bother if you want it cold, just leave it cold it wont be ideal to reheat it just to glaze it, am sure it will be tasty anyway... plus bonus, of not cooking, just eating! Once youve had some wine, and cheese, and pickle you wont notice glaze or not... ?

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
You could do a mustard breadcrumb top. You put the mustard/egg mixture on the ham, cover in breadcrumbs and then only in oven long enough to crisp up/ get colour. It never gets re-heated as such.

Recipe:
The ingredients below should be sufficient for ham of up to 2 kg (4 lb). If you are cooking a larger joint you will need to double the ingredients in order to have enough glaze.

3 tbsp mustard (Dijon or English)
1 egg yolk
1 tsp cornflour
1/2 tbsp sugar
2-3 tbsp fine dried breadcrumbs
Method
1. Pre-heat the oven to≈200°C (gas 6, fan 180°C).
2. Mix the mustard, egg yolk and cornflour and spread over the ham.
3. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the glaze, and roast for 10-15 minutes until a nice golden colour.
4. Remove the ham to somewhere cold, such as outside or a cold garage, in order that the ham cools as quickly as possible trapping in all the moisture, so that you end up with a lovely juicy ham.

Edited at 11:34 AM.
Tigger71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 19, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Ina Garten the barefoot contessa has a recipe to glaze a pre cooked
Ham as it’s very common in the Us to buy a pre cooked ham and glaze it
Had it at friends on Thanksgiving it was really nice
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Theres no reason why you cant reheat it.
You could still put it in some coke and warm it through. You could poke a few small holes in. it wont be as tasty but will get some of the flavour. You could just do it in the over covered with tin foil.
Then just glaze as you would have done.

Otherwise just think yourself lucky it's one less job and just use the cold ham!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 19, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

I'll probably be cooking the gammon either today or tomorrow, then glazed and eaten hot on christmas day.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 19, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thank you all for your tips.
I have not long got in from work so I’m going to do myself a favour and leave it as is as I’ve still got the Chocolate Yule Log to bake tonight! Will make a note of the recipes for next year but will make sure I buy the gammon myself 😉

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List