Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 14 Jan 20, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
kellie
Imagineer

New York - help and advice please

good morning

my daughter has booked for us two to go to New York in March for 7 nights, we are staying at the paramount hotel and we have brought 5 day New York pass.
so im looking for any tips and advice on what to see, where to go, where to eat, things no to miss ect ?

we have booked to see beetle juice

any tips and advice would be very helpful

thanks in advance
Old 14 Jan 20, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

There's a lot to see and do!

Best bet is to get a map (Google maps is fine) and organise it into areas - midtown, downtown, etc.

Midtown - Empire State, Times Square, 5th Avenue shopping, Rockerfeller Centre, Central Park (can be an entire day on its own!), some of the museums etc.

Downtown - Ground Zero (including Museum and One World Observatory), Wall Street, Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge etc

West - Greenwich village (incl. Friends building if you are into that), West Village, Chelsea Market.

7 nights is a good amount of time - you will cover pretty much all of it.

Eating - far too much choice! We like Tick Tock diner for breakfast. Lunch/dinner can be done at any budget.

Others will be along with other don't-miss bits too.
Old 14 Jan 20, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Gipsy 4
slightly serious Dibber

Gipsy 4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I was going to post something similar! We’ve booked for Easter. Interested in best way to get from JFK too if anyone has any suggestions please?
Gipsy 4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Gipsy 4
slightly serious Dibber

Gipsy 4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Have a look at this thread posted the other day
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...light=New+York
Gipsy 4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Apprentice Imagineer

Do you like art museums? If so, go to the Met, the MoMa, and the Guggenheim.
Classical music? Lincoln Center and the New York Philharmonic. Also possibly the Juilliard Orchestra. And a concert at Carnegie Hall.
Ballet? New York City Ballet (also at Lincoln Center)

If you enjoy museums in general, do not miss the American Museum of Natural History. One of the best, I think, in the world.

How about an interactive spy museum? Spyscape! (One day I will take my oldest here. I think he would love it.)

Of course there are many "famous" tourist spots.

Don't miss Central Park. centralpark dot com offers maps and schedules of events.
My favourites:
*having a bit of a picnic in Strawberry Fields, the Great Lawn, or Sheep Meadow
*selfies with the Alice in Wonderland statue
*the views from Belvedere Castle
*hiring a model boat and sailing it at Conservatory Water
*getting a boat or riding at gondola at Loeb Boathouse and having a quiet time out on the lake
*the Obelisk (actually made in 1500BC in Egypt and its twin is on the banks of the Thames)
*Shakespeare Garden
*walking in the Ramble (you would never know you were in the middle of the city)
*eating at Tavern on the Green (if you want a special occasion $$$)
*walking down the mall
*the quiet of Turtle Pond
*a waterfall hunt (there are several tucked around the park)

((I guess I would recommend Central Park. ha ha ha))
Old 14 Jan 20, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

The High line is fab to walk along.

A horse ride around central park. Don't accept the price they ask for though, haggle and start your bid at $30/40

Wishing you a fantastic holiday we loved NY.

Oh we used the red buses to get around. Would highly recommend always such a laugh with the staff.

Edited at 08:32 PM.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Squiggly2902
Trainee Dibber

Originally Posted by Gipsy 4 View Post
I was going to post something similar! We’ve booked for Easter. Interested in best way to get from JFK too if anyone has any suggestions please?
We found it very easy to get from JFK to Manhattan. At JFK you get the Airtrain to Jamaica station and then the E subway into Manhattan, it runs down 8th Avenue and we were staying between 7th & 8th on W 23rd street. Took around an hour but I believe that it can take that long to get in by cab due to the traffic. You can also get the LIRR at Jamaica to Penn Station but that was more expensive. Here's a link to the MTA site which details the journeys.
web.mta.info/lirr/airports/
Squiggly2902 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

We used Carmel cars to
Get from JFK to hotel when we went in November and no issues. Only went for three nights but still managed to do loads. A lot of it reminded me of London which I wasn’t expecting! Went to the top of the Rock which had amazing views and did ferry past SOL and a Broadway show but didn’t pay for anything else other than food and lots of shopping!
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 20, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Blast Furnace
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

As your are there for a week I would recommend the 7 day metro pass. I think it’s $31 but you can make so much use of it and goes far beyond the HOHO bus tours.
As for activities, it depends on what interests you but try to group things in areas. If you are there for St Patrick’s Day (17th) find out about the parade which is worth seeing.
Blast Furnace is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List