Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 19 Jan 20, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
TravelaruaL
Getting Excited

Mobile Italy planning

Hi everyone,

I am currently looking into booking a trip for my partner and I to Italy for the end of march/first week in April and just want some opinions and tips.

At first I was planning on flying from Manchester to Venice as it's the cheapest one way flight. It gets in early at 10am. We would then spend 2 nights here before flying to Naples early for a stay in Sorrento.

We would arrive in Naples at 10am and probably get the train to our sorrento hotel. We would spend 3 nights here before getting the train back to Naples.

We would then travel by train to Rome(probably mid afternoon) and stay in Rome for 4 nights before getting our flight back at roughly midday. I have visited Rome before in April but my partner has not.

We are strict on the amount of days as my partner is working the day before we leave and the day after we return.

However now I'm thinking that might be too much to squeeze in and to do just do 4 nights in sorrento and 5 in rome? Then leave venice for a different time.

Also in terms of luggage we were thinking of buying one large checked case between us but I've heard this can be difficult when travelling on trains and hand luggage is easier? Just not sure if we can squeeze 9 days worth of clothes in hand luggage cases!

Any advice appreciated - as well as hotel recommendations. Thank you!
TravelaruaL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Personally would skip Venice - do a stand-alone long weekend some other time perhaps.

Would fly into Naples, book a transfer with the flight for ease.

Hand luggage is definitely easier - and to be honest 2 full sized cabin cases (with most airlines) would be the equivalent to one hold luggage.
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne K
Imagineer

Anne K's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Luggage on the trains in Italy is no problem, there's storage racks at the entrance to the carriages and also between seats. Smaller luggage can go overhead

Once you've decided on your itinerary do book your tickets, as they sell in layers.

Also, between Naples and Sorrento, use the Campagnia Express rather than the Circumvescia, but check the times if you're travelling onward as it doesn't run for a couple of hours in the middle of the day.

Loved Sorrento and an making my third visit to Rome in 3 weeks, so obviously love there too

Edited at 01:32 PM.
Anne K is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
TravelaruaL
Getting Excited

Thank you both for the tips, I've looked at the train and the cheapest is super economy from naples to rome or vice versa. Is this the one you would normally buy?
TravelaruaL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne K
Imagineer

Anne K's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by TravelaruaL View Post
Thank you both for the tips, I've looked at the train and the cheapest is super economy from naples to rome or vice versa. Is this the one you would normally buy?
We've traveled both economy and business on the frecciarrosa, both are great. Economy is economy, the super part is just the ticket restrictions, bit like our advance fares, so can sell out.

Both classes are much better than UK trains. The infrastructure is much better too. In the last 2 years I've had 8 Italian long distance train journeys, all on time, clean trains and very fast!

Edited at 02:46 PM.
Anne K is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
ynwa2009
Excited about Disney

I would definitely include Venice, it was my favourite part of our Italy trip.
We flew into Venice, spent 3 nights there, then 3 nights in Di Jesolo (not great) We then caught the train to Rome for 4 nights, we used Italio and booked when the tickets were first released, we managed to get first class, so got a free drink and snack a few times on the journey and a table seat. There was plenty of room on the train for cases, we had 2 large cases which we stored no trouble at the back of the train.

We then flew home from Rome.

The day we travelled to Rome was spent mainly travelling so be care full not to travel around too much
ynwa2009 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
TravelaruaL
Getting Excited

Glad to know you did 3 places and made it work!
Its only around an hour to rome from naples so we should still be able to have a decent evening. How did you travel Di Jesolo? Thank you for your comment about the cases