Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 21 Jan 20, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
alibeau
VIP Dibber

Rome in April...

Hi all!

Could do with some help please!

My daughter (15) died suddenly in April last year and so this year we are looking to do a short trip in her memory, to keep us busy and away from home on the anniversary.

She would have loved to have visited Italy and so we are thinking of a few nights in Rome.

I don't have much idea where to start!?! I am used to booking DIY for Florida but feel a little out of my depth with a new location.

I have found some accommodation I like the look of and seems like a good location?!? (feel free to correct me if I am wrong! ) being the Mood Suites Tritone...

Jet2 offer a city break including this accommodation...

Anyone have any experience of Rome?

Best way to get from Airport to the city?

Any other recommendations on where to start... We are looking at 3 or 4 nights, we can only depart on the 2nd of April (or late on the 1st). Fly from Manchester.

Any ideas or thoughts really would be appreciated!

Many thanks.

Ali x
alibeau is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Anne K
Imagineer

Anne K's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
If you're flying into Fiumicino (there's two airports in Rome) then take the Leonardo Express to/from the city. You must buy your ticket before boarding, there's loads of machines. Runs every 15 mins and takes about 30 mins to get to Roma Termini

Definitely pre book any attractions you want to see: Vatican, St Peter's, Colosseum etc. Consider booking some tours. Viator, Get Your Guide etc, as you get so much more information than doing a self or walking tour. We've done the Dome tour at St. Peter's, Vatican gardens and Sistine Chapel tour and underground Colosseum tour, highly recommend them all

Rome is a very walkable city, however I understand the metro is good, it consider one of the hop on hop off buses

We've been twice, going again in 2 weeks.

Edited at 11:41 AM.
Anne K is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs H
slightly serious Dibber

Mrs H's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We flew into Ciampino, then got one of the shuttle buses to main bus station. Was very easy, you buy your ticket in the airport and then find your bus outside.
Definitely pre book any attractions you would like to visit as the queues on the day were very long.
We booked a food tour which not only included food and drinks in several lovely unusual places but our guide was very knowledgeable with the history of Rome and showed us some really interesting places.
Mrs H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
ynwa2009
Excited about Disney

Try looking at BA they do flights and hotel together and it works out cheaper, we booked Italy through them last year.

We also used the Leonardo Express back to the airport, very easy
ynwa2009 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
folkie
Loves sailing in the sun!

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 170
We flew into Fiumicino then used the Leonardo Express. We used the Metro to get around the city, it was really easy, although be aware that because of all the archaeology the stations locations are a bit limited. It's a very easy city to walk around though and by walking you see so much more. Make sure you have comfy shoes

You absolutely must pre-book places like the Colosseum and the Vatican museums, you'll still be able to get in if you don't but you'll almost certainly queue for several hours. Have a look on their websites and book tours directly with the attractions for the best deals, there are English versions of the websites although the translations aren't always brilliant.

You can only get up this high if you book a tour:

I can highly recommend a visit to Trajan's Market (Mercati di Traiano) - much less well known but very close to the Colosseum - very quiet, no need to pre-book but really interesting.

Do keep an eye on the weather forecast though - we stayed in Rome and Vico Equense mid-late March, and although we had some sunshine it was bitterly cold even that far south - we even had snow so couldn't go up Vesuvius. But on the plus side the combination of the weather and a train strike meant that we had Pompeii almost to ourselves, which is very unusual

Snowy Vesuvius...

Almost empty Pompeii!

91 Brittany 92 Scotland 93 France 94 France 95 Dartmouth 96 Moved house 97 Terra Mare (Greece) 98 Swanage 99 Yedi Tepe (Turkey) 00 Canada/Tunisia 01 Ottawa, Antigua/Bitez 02 DLP/Cornwall 03 Antigua/Gower 04 Ottawa/Croatia/Vendee 05 BVI/Hurghada 06 Javelin (Turkey) 07 Perili (Turkey) 08 Orlando 09 Rosas 10 Orlando 11 Les Deux Alpes 12 Morocco 13 Brittany 14 Vassiliki 15 Orlando 16 DLP/New England/Ottawa 17 Ionian
folkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

We're just back from a 4 night trip to Rome, it was really lovely. We stayed in Campo Di Fiori and were central to everywhere we went. We walked everywhere (except for airport trips) and never felt the need for buses/ taxi's etc.

Try and glean as much information before you go to see what interests you and where you would like to base yourselves. We went to Trastevere 3 out of 4 evenings and loved it. I did consider staying there but knew everything else would be more of a walk so feel where we stayed suited us perfectly. Around the Pantheon area seemed like a great central place also. Around Piazza Navona was a bit more expensive. Trevi fountain area was always busy (even for January).

We flew into FCO, took FL1 train (€8) to Trastevere Station and got Tram #8 (€1.50) to a stop 2 mins walk to our Apartments/suites. If we had got the fast train to Termini and a bus to Campo di Fiori, it would've taken longer and cost (€14 & €1.50).

We flew home from Ciampino yesterday, we got a taxi for €30.

HTH
dismamx2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

Also, as others have said, be sure to book Vatican and Colosseum tickets before you go. I think the highlight of the trip for me though was St Peter's Basilica.. just wow!
dismamx2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
traceylou1972
Apprentice Imagineer

traceylou1972's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

If you are there on Easter Sunday I would stay well away from the Vatican. I would imagine it would be horrendous. I could be wrong but worth googling. Love Rome but not too sure if I’d want to be there over the Easter period.
Tracey x
Cheyenne Aug 01, Circus Dec 03 ,DCR Dec 04, Magic Circus Dec 05, Kyriad NYE 07, Sequoia Feb 08, Val de Eur Jun 08, Cheyenne Oct 08, Magic Circus Jul 09, DH Feb 10, Newport Bay Feb 11, Kryiad Nov 11, Circus Jan 13 Sept 93 I Drive, Jul 07 Villa,Apr 09 Villa, Oct 10 Villa, Apr 11 Cruise & Villa, Xmas 11 Villa, July 12 Villa, Apr 14 Villa, Apr 15 Cruise & Villa, Dec 15 Villa, Aug 17 Villa & Cruise, Oct 18 Villa, Aug 19
traceylou1972 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
folkie
Loves sailing in the sun!

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 170
Originally Posted by traceylou1972 View Post
If you are there on Easter Sunday I would stay well away from the Vatican. I would imagine it would be horrendous. I could be wrong but worth googling. Love Rome but not too sure if I’d want to be there over the Easter period.
Tracey x
I’d think the Vatican is probably closed to visitors over Easter itself. Check the calendar on their website, it closes on all sorts of odd dates depending on the church calendar, visiting dignitaries etc.
folkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 12:44 AM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
publicholidays.eu/vatican-city/easter/

Only closed Easter Sunday and Easter Monday so the week after your visit. Book tickets for the Vatican or you’ll spend hours in the enormous queue. Must dos colosseum and pantheon, Roman forum and Palentine Hill. And if you have the time take a taxi to Ostia Antica - Rome’s Secret Pompei. Well worth a visit. Lovely and quiet and so interesting.

Trastevere area is lovely for wandering. Wander into the churches. Some are amazing.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List