Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 19 Aug 19, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Runforthehills
Trying for More Ears

Six of the Best - Day 15 Seaworld, IHop and Home

Previous Day 14 HERE

It's been a really good holiday. The weather was excellent 70% of the time, good 25% of the time and OK 5% of the time. All our plans worked out and there were no disasters, other than me losing the Universal Annual passes yesterday which was sorted out by US Guest Relations and only cost us a couple of hours at most. We didn't have a bad meal experience on the whole trip.

Some, notably the more expensive ones, could have been better although perhaps our expectations of them were higher than reasonable. After all, granted we only ever had two courses, and we hardly paid more than $150 for the four adults and 2 kids anywhere but we prefered Logans to Longhorns, Millers to Buba Gump and Beth's Burgers, on haloween night with the staff all in costume, to T Rex. (although perhaps the comparison is getting a bit tenuous there!)

Unfortunately all good things……

The clocks had gone back overnight so we had an extra hour to play with today before our flight just before 5pm. For the first time it was a really wet and miserable start to the day but by 10 am when we were leaving the apartment it had dried up so we decided to have an hour or two at Sea World. This time I was actually asked for ID to go with my annual pass for free parking so I felt even more grateful that when we had come a couple of days earlier and I had left my ID at the apartment that I had not been asked for it.

We had a walk round and we all went on the penguin ride in the antarctica area then I went for a last spin on the Manta with DD, DSIL and DGS1. I think this is a great ride, possibly now my second favourite coaster after the Hulk but we have been on all the coasters at US, IOA, Seaworld and Busch Gardens this trip and I really enjoyed every single one.

We headed up to Perkins on I Drive about 12 o clock but it was really busy and there was a wait list so we strolled up to the IHop nearby. We had really fancied Perkins for lunch but I hadn't left much leeway in the time for lunch before we needed to head off to the airport so as the IHop was quieter we went in and ordered then I popped back and brought the car up from Perkins. Even though I am sure it was safe it was loaded with all our luggage now and I felt better when it was parked in eyesight outside the IHOP.

We do like the IHop menu so it wasn't too much of a disappointment and we all enjoyed our last Orlando meal before hitting the I4

Although we had been on the I4 a couple of times this holiday but this was the first time we had headed up through Orlando itself and, boy, was it busy. There are a lot of roadworks involving realignment of the carriageways going on and it seemed to really confuse Google maps which seemed to keep thinking I had left the I4 and started trying to redirect me onto it!

Although busy it is a simple route up to Sandford, up the I4 and turn right, so we soon got there and dropped off the car. Although I know some people have had difficulty with Budget Car rentals I have to say I have no complaints with either picking up, return, or the Chrysler Pacifica we had. There was an issue with tolls where I ended up accidentally using, and therefore paying for, the transponder for electronic toll payment at a manual booth but it was just one of those things that was partly my fault and won't happen again now I know the transponder can be turned off.

Check in was fairly quiet so fairly quick, even though there were only two check in desks open. One of the check in staff was also having a bad day and as we were queueing he had an argument with another member of staff about what duty roster he was supposed to be on which was, evidently, not to his satisfaction as he was clearly on a deliberate “go slow”, only dealing with one pair of travelers while the other desk had finished three families.

Waiting in the airport was as tedious as ever. We only had an hour before boarding so it wasn't too bad but we were still glad to get boarding. Once sat down I noticed it had started to rain outside, not too heavy but more than a drizzle, and I must admit to a bit of “what? ” when the captain came on to let us know the ground staff were not going to push us off stand until the rain had abated. I was just having a bit of a chunter to DW about this when the heavens absolutely opened water was streaming over the window like it was being poured out of a bucket and you couldn't see anything out of the aircraft. I should have known that the guys here knew a bit more about their weather than I did and I sat back, humbled. The main rain was over within 15 minutes and we pushed back and took off about 20 mins late, which they just about made up by the time we got back to East Midlands.

So there we have it, a great trip and already counting down to do it again in late August 2019. That trip was going to be Disney but now we are annual Universal and Seaworld passholders, who knows?

Still it was nice to get home, have a couple of beers, and bed.