Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 23 Oct 14, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
WifeyB
slightly serious Dibber

It’s my Birthday – Day 1 – Travel Day

Day 1 – 27th August – Travel Day – Are we nearly there yet?!

It was finally here! The day we get to fly to our favourite place in the world! I literally jumped out of bed when the alarm went off at 7 (I think I’d be awake for at least 2 hours before it went off). As I switched off the alarm on my phone, I noticed I had a text from Virgin…. My notes say it was “the worst text ever!”

At the time, leaving a whole hour and 15 minutes later was the worst thing ever (Okay so I know I’m coming across as a bit of a drama queen already! ) but after dibbing for a bit and reading that some poor people were delayed 7 hours on the Dreamliner, I didn’t feel so bad. Plus Cameron said we hopefully would make good time in the sky.

It was at this point I realised I had forgot to pack our toothbrushes… Cameron wasn’t happy! (I did point out he did final bag checks but it was all my fault apparently ). No biggie, I said we could buy some from Walmart but he still wasn’t impressed with having to use a ‘normal’ toothbrush for two weeks (he’s spoilt by his electric toothbrush!).

Toothbrush drama aside, I jumped in the shower and started to get ready for the long day ahead. The shower at the Yotel was amazing, it was one of those rainfall type heads (I am easily pleased!) however the complementary shower gel was not so good and smelt like Vicks (ew!).

We checked out of the Yotel just after 8 and stopped at Boots to pick up some case locks as the ones Cameron picked up were too big and didn’t actually fit (whoops!). £5 later (for two locks! ) our cases were locked and ready to go.

I had already checked in online the day before and we still had our bubble seats (so excited by this!) so we headed to the Virgin desks to drop off our bags. Thankfully we had no issues with Cameron’s ESTA this time (last time they couldn’t find any record of his as Virgin Holidays had booked him using his first and middle name as his first name, where as his ESTA had his actual name).

We then went straight through to security where we were met by the glorious sight of no queues. We were through in 5 minutes flat and for the first time ever, no beeping from Cameron!

We were sat down in The Flying Horse by 8.50am enjoying our liquid breakfast:

2 lots of Jack Daniels Honey (£7.10) with a dash of coke for me (£0.55). Only joking, this wasn’t our only breakfast! And I promise we only drink this early on holidays (we really don’t have a drinking problem)

Cameron went for the Large Traditional Breakfast (£7.99) with toast (£0.99)

(Yes he has put that much salt on his food! )

And I went for the normal Traditional (£6.99) plus toast (£0.99) as they had taken the American Breakfast off the menu (boo!).

Our gate was opening at 11.20 so we had a couple of hours to kill. We did the usual tour of World of Duty Free, it’s a tradition of ours to buy new fragrances every time we fly. Cameron wanted a Tom Ford one but at £125 it was swiftly put back! They had a two fragrances for £39 offer so we both picked up something from there, I went for Escada Paradise and Cameron picked Jean Paul Gaultier Le Beau Male.

We then found a seat and played games on our iPads and people watched until our gate was called (We played the Spot who was going to Disneyworld game).

Our gate was announced and we were boarding the plane at 11.45. It felt so strange going up stairs but we both loved the bubble. We had seats 79A and B (above the stairs) and we were both amazed at how much room we felt we had.

Leg room shot!

I also loved the little storage area between the seat and window.

It always amazes me how big these planes are!

The captain announced we would be departing shortley and we still had an empty seat next to us (result!). We took off around 12.40pm and once we was in the sky, I could finally relax (I’m a nervous flyer and take off is the worse part for me).

The stewardesses came round with hot towels (definitely don’t remember getting this in down stairs economy!) followed by drinks. We both went for Barcardi and coke before getting stuck in to the IFE, I watched The Other Woman whilst Cameron watch Need for Speed.

Lunch came round after a couple of hours. The choices were beef chilli con carne, grilled chicken breast (in a mustard sauce) or fusilli pasta. I went for the chilli and Cameron the chicken. Both came with the usual salad and bread roll, Cameron was very happy with the Boursin cheese accompaniment! For plane food it wasn’t actually that bad.

After our trays were taken we were given a rather yummy GU Pud (Passion fruit mousse). Cameron devoured his and then tried to steal mine but I wasn’t sharing!

After lunch I watched Divergent and Cameron watch Noah. There was another drinks round which called for more Barcadi and just a coke for Cameron (designated driver!).

Plane Selfie!

We were then treated to mini Fab ice lolly, definitely an improvement on the skinny cow ones we were given on the last flight!

A bit later on we had afternoon tea (which had also improved since our last flight). There was actually a choice of wraps (Tomato and mozzarella or chicken Caesar) served with Plane crisps and a Caramental. It was rather yummy!

I started to get a bored and couldn’t concentrate on any more films, Cameron watched 300 whilst I stared at the sky map.

Finally we started our decent into Orlando and we landed around 5pm.

We were the first economy passengers off the plane (after First and Premium passengers down stairs) and literally skipped to immigration (okay that was probably just me!). Once we reached immigration I had to do a double take… there wasn’t a single person in the queue! We literally walked straight up to the desks, got a really friendly immigration officer. Finger prints and photos taken and we were through! (It was this point I started to wonder whether we had actually landed in the right place?!).

We picked up our cases and were at the Alamo garage within 30 minutes of landing! I had done save time so we was pointed in the direction of our standard car, however Cameron said he just wanted to check something…. $325 later he had upgraded us to this beauty:

I was in too much shock to take a photo at the airport, so this was taken once we had arrived to the hotel.

As Mustangs are one of my all-time favourite cars, Cameron paid to upgrade for my birthday If it wouldn’t cost the earth to tax, insurance and fuel, I would definitely have one here!

Cameron drove out of the airport (As I had been drinking on the flight) and I swear he had the biggest smile on his face. As the sun was shining we made our way to Kissimmee with the roof down.

We arrived at the Art of Animation around 6pm. Check in was quick and easy (my lake view room request had been granted and we were in block 7) and we were given our Magic Bands and my birthday pin... I can’t even describe how excited I was!

We drove over to The Little Mermaid area of the hotel, I was literally in awe of all the theming. We found our room (7756) and the view was amazing, we could see Pop across the lake.

We did our usual search of every draw, cupboard and space of the room (does anybody else do that?!) as well as checking out how comfortable the beds are (happy to report they were very comfortable!). It was coming up to 7pm now (midnight in reality) however we were both way too excited to go to bed!

I wanted this shower curtain so bad!

We decided to head to DTD to exchange our vouchers for tickets, pick up our Memory Maker and get the world’s greatest sandwich for tea.

As we got closer to DTD, I couldn’t believe the mess… there was so much construction work going on! It wasn’t a surprise, I had read all about it, but I just wasn’t prepared for the scale of it! It wasn’t going to get me down however, I was in my favourite place.

We parked up by Cirque and walked the length of DTD taking it all in. I was literally ready to burst (I think I may have needed to pinch myself a couple of times to make sure we was actually here). The sun was starting to set and even with all the work, it was still a beautiful place.

We made it to Earl of Sandwich and Cameron was very upset to see his beloved Cannon Ball sandwich was no longer on the menu. He went for a Hawaiian BBQ instead ($6.49)

And I went for BBQ Pulled Pork ($6.49).

We also picked up 2 bottles of soda’s ($2.99 each) and a bag of chips ($1.29). The total was $20.25 including tax. We sat outside to eat and they were just as good as we remembered!

After we had finished eating we sat for a bit and sung along to various Disney songs (I’m really lucky in the fact Cameron is just as much of a Disney geek as me! We really are two peas in a pod… okay gushy moment finished ).

We both agreed to make the most of our second wind and head to Walmart for “essentials”. We walked back to the car but the SatNav was having a moment and wouldn’t let us put in any addresses. We decided to head towards the 192 as we knew there was a Walmart somewhere along it!

We passed the Kissimmee West Target and I remembered that Walmart was up just a bit further but the road was closed around marker 15. There was lots of police and a helicopter (We learnt the next morning there had been a hit and run, poor person). We ended up U turning and going back to Target.

Cameron bought a GoPro Hero (first thing ticked off his shopping list!) and we bought very important essentials… Soda, Candy, Chips, Cookies… oh and toothbrushes! We paid our $42.68 and headed back to the car.

As we arrived back in our room, we had this waiting for us:

Cameron said it must be for me (I knew otherwise!) so I told him it had his name on. He looked so shocked! His face was definitely worth the price I was rubbish and didn’t actually take any photos of him opening it (nor any of his gifts)… But there was a bottle of wine, two champagne flutes (which both made it home!), a photo frame, popcorn and some goofy candy.

We were tucked up in bed by 11pm. Officially loving the last day of my 20’s!
WifeyB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 14, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Great travel day... looking forward to the rest.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 14, 07:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Lovely day! Pussycat
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 14, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Woo, ace day! I love to hear about folks who get a second wind and don't just want to go to bed on travel day as it gives me hope we can do the same, haha!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 14, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
lindyT
Apprentice Imagineer

Such a brilliant "read" Subscribed and looking forward to more.Thank you! Linda
lindyT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 14, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
DLS1005
Imagineer

DLS1005's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Fab Day x

*2013 - Villa, Seasons Blvd**2011- Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando**2009 - VIlla, Seasons Blvd**2003 - Best Western(The Econolodge Inn)**1999 - MIC Lakefront**1998 - Movieland Hotel*
DLS1005 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 14, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
What a great start and end to the day.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 14, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
scotsprincess
Imagineer

scotsprincess's Reviews
Mobile

Great travel day 😀😀
Old 24 Oct 14, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
pandanne
Imagineer

Great travel day Alice - hope MCO is as quiet for us as it was for you - in July though - I don't think so, lol. Looking forward to the next instalment.
Old 24 Oct 14, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
beck_loz
Imagineer

beck_loz's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Great day x
beck_loz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List