Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Apr 18, 07:06 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireVC
Excited about Disney

Mobile DIY advice over package

Can someone give me some advice please. Every year I fall into the trap of booking a package as it’s easy and know from all the threads I’m paying over the odds. We have always travelled Virgin. If I book a DIY package, looking to go end of Oct19, staying at Yacht /Beach Club or AKL, upgrade to deluxe dining. Where are the best places to get good deals on PE seats, any airline flying MCO or Sanford. Also we need a big car, and when I did a quote on Alamo it came out at £1500 for 2 weeks! Any tips for how to save money and how to go about booking DIY without too much stress will be gratefully received! Is it true that Disney allow you to change your dates after booking if you can’t get your flights? Thanks for any help
Old 9 Apr 18, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
fluffychicken
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Disney will allow you to change dates by a few days depending on availability. Flights you need to be looking on something like sky scanner from 11 months out you can view fairs by month so can pick the cheapest days. I would look at other airlines as well as virgin tend to be the most expensive.
fluffychicken is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 18, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Catlouise
Getting Excited

Mobile

Hi
I’ve just booked flight and car hire with virgin for next October, flights were around £621pp and 15 seater van hire for 10nights £860
Catlouise is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 18, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I don’t know if I have a way of doing it without much stress! I always book direct with Disney (not about cost, just about preference) so that’s easy. Flights I tend to book direct with the airline too. Usually we go PE with Virgin and just continually look out for a good price. Car hire is the same - just keep looking for a good price. We normally use Hertz but last year used Alamo with the Brits discount. This year Discount Florida Car Hire were cheaper so we went with them.

The main thing with DIY is you need to be prepared to be patient, search regularly and jump on a price you’re happy with.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 18, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireVC
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by fluffychicken View Post
Disney will allow you to change dates by a few days depending on availability. Flights you need to be looking on something like sky scanner from 11 months out you can view fairs by month so can pick the cheapest days. I would look at other airlines as well as virgin tend to be the most expensive.
Thank you that’s really helpful, I’m sure I’m not the only one who worries, but to get the dining you have to reserve a lot longer than 11 months out, so its a long wait til you can find the flight to match the dates. I don’t know if my nerves will take it, but I am so tired of paying through the nose and not even getting very good service from Virgin
ClaireVC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 18, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireVC
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
I don’t know if I have a way of doing it without much stress! I always book direct with Disney (not about cost, just about preference) so that’s easy. Flights I tend to book direct with the airline too. Usually we go PE with Virgin and just continually look out for a good price. Car hire is the same - just keep looking for a good price. We normally use Hertz but last year used Alamo with the Brits discount. This year Discount Florida Car Hire were cheaper so we went with them.

The main thing with DIY is you need to be prepared to be patient, search regularly and jump on a price you’re happy with.
Thank you, that’s good advice, what do you consider a good price for virgin PE? We will be travelling in the two weeks of Oct, one of which is a half term week. I’ll check those car hire firms out, I’ve been considering virgin fly drive but maybe itll be better value doing it separately
ClaireVC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 18, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by ClaireVC View Post
Thank you, that’s good advice, what do you consider a good price for virgin PE? We will be travelling in the two weeks of Oct, one of which is a half term week. I’ll check those car hire firms out, I’ve been considering virgin fly drive but maybe itll be better value doing it separately
We fly from Glasgow and the cheapest we can usually get is around the £800 mark. Never below it and usually a bit above it.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List