Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 28 Sep 17, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggerific2018
Helping Mickey

Victoria & Albert, a few questions

We will have a family-free evening and thought we would go to V&A. A few questions:
1. How easy/hard is it to get reservations?
2. Is the chef's table worth doing?
3. We don't drink - is this likely to be an issue? I know we can refuse the wine pairing, but will they be sniffy if we both stick to soft drinks or water?
4. I'm vegetarian - is this likely to be a problem if we did the chef's table?

I have read lots of reviews of it but I'm still not terribly clear on these points. We are both quite foodie but within our own limitations, and in a prix fixe menu this often means I end up paying far too much for some mushroom risotto or pasta in tomato sauce. 🙄 Thanks for any input.

Edited at 08:02 PM.
Tiggerific2018 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 17, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Tiggerific2018
Helping Mickey

Mobile

Anyone? I can't imagine that nobody here as been to V&A, so any comments (yes, we know it's expensive) are welcome. Thanks.
Tiggerific2018 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 17, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Relatively easy at 180 days - they also ring you to confirm.

No idea, didn’t do it

3. We don't drink - is this likely to be an issue? I know we can refuse the wine pairing, but will they be sniffy if we both stick to soft drinks or water?
No, it won’t be an issue, they actually have a water ‘menu’!

We didn’t do the chefs table, but there is a vegetarian option at every ‘level’ of V&As. I have a shellfish allergy and as I said they rang after we booked to clarify exactly what I could/couldn’t eat.

Hope that helps
Posiesmum is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 17, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Mental Minnie
VIP Dibber

I can't answer but just keep bumping, someone will come along. I have read on here of peoples experiences. It is said to excellent. I don't know when your trip is but 'Cintebelle' (I think that's the name) is going in November and doing a trip report.
Hope you get the info you need.
Old 29 Sep 17, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Tiggerific2018
Helping Mickey

Mobile

Thanks so much, Mental Minnie! I struggled to find anything with the search facility so I will definitely keep an eye on the trip reports. 😀
Old 29 Sep 17, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Tiggerific2018
Helping Mickey

Mobile

Originally Posted by Posiesmum View Post
Relatively easy at 180 days - they also ring you to confirm.

No idea, didn’t do it

No, it won’t be an issue, they actually have a water ‘menu’!

We didn’t do the chefs table, but there is a vegetarian option at every ‘level’ of V&As. I have a shellfish allergy and as I said they rang after we booked to clarify exactly what I could/couldn’t eat.

Hope that helps
This is hugely helpful - thank you very much, Posiesmum! Would you recommend doing it?
Old 29 Sep 17, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We have dined here a number of times with and without wine pairings. We prefer the main dining rather than chefs table, purely because in the kitchen with the chef I found it too close to them and I wasn't as comfortable.

Food is fabulous in both and as has been said they phone you to confirm a few days before. This is an opportunity to state your dietary requirements and they will definitely accommodate them.

Neither of us are vegetarians but I don't like fish so have always been presented with a menu with other choices on. Even when not on the menu the chef has prepared some of my favourites that I have had there over the years.

Dawn
Old 29 Sep 17, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by Tiggerific2018 View Post
This is hugely helpful - thank you very much, Posiesmum! Would you recommend doing it?
Absolutely! But go hungry - we had to be practically rolled out of the dining room at the end. Loved it and would love to do it again. The service is second to none and you are made to feel very special.
Posiesmum is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 17, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggerific2018
Helping Mickey

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bob_and_Dawn View Post
We have dined here a number of times with and without wine pairings. We prefer the main dining rather than chefs table, purely because in the kitchen with the chef I found it too close to them and I wasn't as comfortable.

Food is fabulous in both and as has been said they phone you to confirm a few days before. This is an opportunity to state your dietary requirements and they will definitely accommodate them.

Neither of us are vegetarians but I don't like fish so have always been presented with a menu with other choices on. Even when not on the menu the chef has prepared some of my favourites that I have had there over the years.

Dawn
Thanks so much, Dawn! This is all really helpful. I appreciate your reply about the chef's table in particular - I did wonder whether we would be uncomfortable and feel like we are supposed to talk to the kitchen staff rather than each other for most of the meal. My husband is not very sociable, so having to make polite conversation with strangers all evening is his idea of hell! 😉
Old 29 Sep 17, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggerific2018
Helping Mickey

Mobile

Originally Posted by Posiesmum View Post
Absolutely! But go hungry - we had to be practically rolled out of the dining room at the end. Loved it and would love to do it again. The service is second to none and you are made to feel very special.
Brilliant, thank you. And I will take your advice to make sure we are ready for a big meal!