Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 5 Jun 18, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
0-Town
Earning More Ears

Mobile Florida dining more expensive than home ?

In my opinion Florida and the USA in general has become more and more expensive to eat out , in fact I'd say in many cases it's more expensive than the UK.

What are other peoples thoughts ?
0-Town is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 18, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

I think Florida is very expensive for food the supermarkets are also expensive but I suppose we are in the tourist area everything is ramped up.
Old 5 Jun 18, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Chunky81
Excited about Disney

I think it depends on where you eat, yes some more expensive but still some great places for cheaper meals.
When I was out in Easter I found some of the places we ate great value and good food. Agree supermarkets felt more expensive that uk.
But this will be a topic that everyone has different opinions/ expectation for what’s expensive.

Once in a lifetime trip Oct 14 Terra Verde Villa
2nd Trip Oct 16 Terra Verde Villa
3rd Trip Easter 18 Dibb Villa Tuscan Hills
4th Trip Oct 19 POR+Terra Verde 5th Aug 19 Villa Need to plan again!
Chunky81 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 18, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

Yes it definitely is more expensive, saying that we don’t eat out much in uk but it’s quite expensive everywhere in Florida to eat .
Old 5 Jun 18, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

a lot more expensive!
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 18, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

It depends where you eat, and what you eat

if you mainly do onsite restaurants, then yes, it's more expensive

if you eat offsite there are a lot of places where it's not more expensive

and it depends on how you do it.
You will find vouchers, BOGOs, and lots of discounts for most of the offsite restaurants.
It's much more difficult to find those kind of deals at home.

when you signup for the email clubs for the restaurants, even with a fake birthday, you'll get sign up discounts as well as birthday discounts or free items.

we actually spend less in FL restaurants than we do at home for the same type of meals

sure tips do ramp the price up, but at home the "service" is included in the price (and nothing prevents you from tipping a good waiter in the UK)

A good price index is the Big Mac medium value meal. I condiser it a good comparison point because it's the same all over the world, and you can really compare like for like.
You can't compare sit down restaurants, because there is a notion of location, food quality, serving sizes, so the only real comparison point is something that's the very same item worldwide, and that's the big mac combo meal.

it's £4.69 in the UK , that's $6.30 at today's exchange rate.
in Orlando (tax for a McD near Universal on Kirkman) it's $5.99 ($6.37)

so based on the index, it's not much of a difference, and exchange rate can shift the ratio on way or the other (and don't forget it's free unlimited beverages refill in the US)

Edited at 12:18 PM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 18, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
briant2001
Excited about Disney

I guess it feels much more expensive as the exchange rate has taken such a hammering since the BREXIT vote, nice to see it rally a little over the past few months but nowhere near the heights of $2 = £1 I got for a trip to the States just over 10 years ago!

2018 Port Orleans & Loews Royal Pacific

2022 ONSITE?
briant2001 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 18, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
0-Town
Earning More Ears

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
It depends where you eat, and what you eat

if you mainly do onsite restaurants, then yes, it's more expensive

if you eat offsite there are a lot of places where it's not more expensive

and it depends on how you do it.
You will find vouchers, BOGOs, and lots of discounts for most of the offsite restaurants.
It's much more difficult to find those kind of deals at home.

when you signup for the email clubs for the restaurants, even with a fake birthday, you'll get sign up discounts as well as birthday discounts or free items.

we actually spend less in FL restaurants than we do at home for the same type of meals

sure tips do ramp the price up, but at home the "service" is included in the price (and nothing prevents you from tipping a good waiter in the UK)

A good price index is the Big Mac medium value meal. I condiser it a good comparison point because it's the same all over the world, and you can really compare like for like.
You can't compare sit down restaurants, because there is a notion of location, food quality, serving sizes, so the only real comparison point is something that's the very same item worldwide, and that's the big mac combo meal.

it's £4.69 in the UK , that's $6.30 at today's exchange rate.
in Orlando (tax for a McD near Universal on Kirkman) it's $5.99 ($6.37)

so based on the index, it's not much of a difference, and exchange rate can shift the ratio on way or the other (and don't forget it's free unlimited beverages refill in the US)
Which restaurants offer the best deals via their email clubs in Orlando ?
0-Town is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 18, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 0-Town View Post
Which restaurants offer the best deals via their email clubs in Orlando ?

there is a sticky thread at the top of this forum , right above your thread.

its title is Restaurant sign ups current offers and coupons
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 18, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
0-Town
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
there is a sticky thread at the top of this forum , right above your thread.

its title is Restaurant sign ups current offers and coupons
Thanks and doh for missing it lol.