Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Nov 19, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Button17 View Post
Well done you. That's really impressive. TOOT away. How did you increase speed? I started the week after you on 9th June.

I have one speed and can't get under 40 mins for 5km. And sadly I'm back wearing this bad boy...

Only a precaution at the moment to rest my aching Achilles. I snapped my Left one 9 years ago and was onplaster for 12 weeks followed by another 12 weeks on this bad boy.

Went for a run this morning and right Achilles is painful so hopefully by resting for 24hrs will avoid further pain.

Keep up the good work xx TOOT! TOOT!
Oh you saying you snapped your achilles made me go all funny Sounds so painful, you poor thing.

I haven't really done anything in particular regarding speed as I did the C25K, I just seemed to get faster as I went along. A few weeks ago I bought a treadmill though, as I don't do running outside in the cold. That's helped me be able to control my speed and increase it gradually to push me towards my 30 min target. Not sure how it will work out next time I do parkrun with hills and mud though!
Old 11 Nov 19, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by loola30 View Post
Oh you saying you snapped your achilles made me go all funny Sounds so painful, you poor thing.

I haven't really done anything in particular regarding speed as I did the C25K, I just seemed to get faster as I went along. A few weeks ago I bought a treadmill though, as I don't do running outside in the cold. That's helped me be able to control my speed and increase it gradually to push me towards my 30 min target. Not sure how it will work out next time I do parkrun with hills and mud though!
Sorry, didn't mean to send you funny. Yes, no pain like it. Worst part was I had 4 month old in baby Bjorn on my front at time. Had to be dragged/carried/hobbled 2 miles to get off mountain.

I'm not enjoying the cold either but hate being indoors. Have a cross-trainer but haven't used it since start c25k. Can't face it. The beautiful misty mornings get me through the wet ones. The sun rises can be spectacular. Have to stop occasionally to take photos.

Will try to do a few shorter, quicker runs to increase speed.
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

So since I’ve gone back to uni my running has been less and less. I have a place doing a 5k at Chessington world of adventures and I have come down with a heavy cold! I’m hoping I will feel some what better before Saturday! 😬
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by Button17 View Post
Well done you. That's really impressive. TOOT away. How did you increase speed? I started the week after you on 9th June.

I have one speed and can't get under 40 mins for 5km. And sadly I'm back wearing this bad boy...

Only a precaution at the moment to rest my aching Achilles. I snapped my Left one 9 years ago and was onplaster for 12 weeks followed by another 12 weeks on this bad boy.

Went for a run this morning and right Achilles is painful so hopefully by resting for 24hrs will avoid further pain.

Keep up the good work xx TOOT! TOOT!
Interval training/Faartlek for increasing speed. But, and it's a really important but ... just by getting out and doing something, you are being amazing. Don't try to chase other peoples pace - it's your race, your pace.
I learnt that the hard way, now I just run to my own beat. My park run on multi terrain (my local one) is 34 mins, whereas if I run on pavement, it comes down by about 2 mins. Who cares though? My race, my pace.

Hope your leg gets better really soon.

Joa
Old 13 Nov 19, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
Interval training/Faartlek for increasing speed. But, and it's a really important but ... just by getting out and doing something, you are being amazing. Don't try to chase other peoples pace - it's your race, your pace.
I learnt that the hard way, now I just run to my own beat. My park run on multi terrain (my local one) is 34 mins, whereas if I run on pavement, it comes down by about 2 mins. Who cares though? My race, my pace.

Joa
Thank you, my race, my pace. Love it. Well done you on your achievements xx
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Clairelovestate View Post
So since I’ve gone back to uni my running has been less and less. I have a place doing a 5k at Chessington world of adventures and I have come down with a heavy cold! I’m hoping I will feel some what better before Saturday! 😬
Hope you feel better for Saturday. Good luck and enjoy, should be a good venue xx
Old 13 Nov 19, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Clairelovestate View Post
Good luck for Saturday! 🤞
Old 13 Nov 19, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bats View Post

Joa
I like it, and completely agree.

One of my friends says “finish lines, not finish times” and I literally chanted it to myself for the last 5 miles of the Edinburgh half marathon
Old 13 Nov 19, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

For anyone who does really want to increase their speed, I would recommend a hill session, what we do on a Wednesday is jog to our nearest hill and sprint up as fast as we can for 30 seconds, jog back down, sprint up again for 45 jog down and again for 60. Then move on to the next hill.

Everyone hates hills but honestly they're good for you 🙃
Old 14 Nov 19, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by louiseybobs View Post
For anyone who does really want to increase their speed, I would recommend a hill session, what we do on a Wednesday is jog to our nearest hill and sprint up as fast as we can for 30 seconds, jog back down, sprint up again for 45 jog down and again for 60. Then move on to the next hill.

Everyone hates hills but honestly they're good for you 🙃
It's all in your mind that you hate them (apparently). Learn to love them and they become a challenge, not a barrier.

I read a book called 'The fat girls guide to marathon running' and she said to love the hills, tell yourself a million times you love them and they become less of an issue.
I'm still reciting it to myself but I'm getting there. Now I just dislike them a bit!