Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Oct 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Midges17
Apprentice Imagineer

I did it this summer, changed pine coloured doors, drawers, end panels, splash back behind hob, (it was t fitted great 🙁 so added a sheet of coloured glass to match the units) used howdens & a local joiner. Changed them to Matt grey Greenwich.
Old 11 Oct 20, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Fairysparkled
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
Did you have to rub the doors down etc & did you need special paint?
No undercoat, no rubbing down and just one top coat. Used a paint from wilkinsons made for furniture/cupboards. The kitchen is well used and there is not one scratch on the paintwork. It is a sheen finish and comes in lots of colours. I have also used this paint on UPVC doors with no problems. It is also touch dry in a couple of hours. I am a multi/trade builder and I cannot believe the quality of this product.
Fairysparkled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

We did ours about 3 years ago. From cream gloss to white. Only issue is the cupboards inside are cream and you can see it under the oven.

It was also expensive to change the sides of my integrated fridge freezer. We have to move it slightly to all an edging between it and the next cupboard against to hide the cream cupboard. So you need to the you can fit it in.

Before:

After - fridge edge;

We added quartz worktops too and an island.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Midges17 View Post
I did it this summer, changed pine coloured doors, drawers, end panels, splash back behind hob, (it was t fitted great 🙁 so added a sheet of coloured glass to match the units) used howdens & a local joiner. Changed them to Matt grey Greenwich.
Thanks Lesley.

Originally Posted by Fairysparkled View Post
No undercoat, no rubbing down and just one top coat. Used a paint from wilkinsons made for furniture/cupboards. The kitchen is well used and there is not one scratch on the paintwork. It is a sheen finish and comes in lots of colours. I have also used this paint on UPVC doors with no problems. It is also touch dry in a couple of hours. I am a multi/trade builder and I cannot believe the quality of this product.
Thanks for this detail.

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
We did ours about 3 years ago. From cream gloss to white. Only issue is the cupboards inside are cream and you can see it under the oven.

It was also expensive to change the sides of my integrated fridge freezer. We have to move it slightly to all an edging between it and the next cupboard against to hide the cream cupboard. So you need to the you can fit it in.

Before:

After - fridge edge;

We added quartz worktops too and an island.
Looks very nice. Thanks for photos and details.
Old 12 Oct 20, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
CSTUARTt1980
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
I know there's been a few threads on here about kitchen refurbs, but we're considering whether a freshen up with new doors, drawer fronts and worktops would be a good way to go.

Has anyone any experience of going this way rather than a full refurb? Were you happy with the results and cost? Have you any company recommendations?

We've got a few extra bits that would need to be done as well like extractor surround, a dresser etc so wondering about options.

Many thanks

We moved into our house last year and it was a solid howdens kitchen that was in it however was very dark. We spent about £500 getting the units vinyl wrapped and around £250 or so on new worktops. Was deligted with the way it turned out and the wrap is still in perfect condition a year later

Edited at 12:16 PM.
CSTUARTt1980 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 20, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyorefanuk
Imagineer

So glad found this thread I was only thinking this the other day

Has anyone got doors to go on magnet kitchens? Thanks
Old 12 Oct 20, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by CSTUARTt1980 View Post
We moved into our house last year and it was a solid howdens kitchen that was in it however was very dark. We spent about £500 getting the units vinyl wrapped and around £250 or so on new worktops. Was deligted with the way it turned out and the wrap is still in perfect condition a year later

Looks really nice. Never heard of vinyl wrapping. Sounds like an 80's LP.

Is it just the door or the whole unit that is wrapped? Thanks.

Edited at 06:23 PM.
tocpe321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 20, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
CSTUARTt1980
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Looks really nice. Never heard of vinyl wrapping. Sounds like an 80's LP.

Is it just the door or the whole unit that is wrapped? Thanks.
Haha so it is the whole door, basically they come and do what they can in the house then took all the doors away. The only thing that is still wood is the shelves inside but I don't mind as you can't see that anyway.

U can maybe see it a bit better there
CSTUARTt1980 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 20, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyorefanuk
Imagineer

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
Lucky you, I'd love all my doors etc changed but the dog would be better at DYI than my DH
That made me laugh 🤭 so much

Mine too but I haven’t got a dog 🐶 either so totally stuck 🤣 🤣
Old 12 Oct 20, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by CSTUARTt1980 View Post
Haha so it is the whole door, basically they come and do what they can in the house then took all the doors away. The only thing that is still wood is the shelves inside but I don't mind as you can't see that anyway.

U can maybe see it a bit better there
Thanks. Very helpful.