Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Sep 19, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
EandHmum
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Grand Canyon or Yosemite?

Hi

I am at the start of trying to put an itinerary together for a west coast road trip for summer 2020. We have not been before and it's all a bit overwhelming!

I'm thinking that we only have time to do one of either grand canyon or yosemite - so which would you guys do and why? We have 2 nights to spend at one or the other.

Thanks for your help!
EandHmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Although I haven’t been to the Grand Canyon, so cannot give you a true comparison of the two, Yosemite would be my choice - it was the part of our California road trip that stood out for me and would be a must do for me on a future trip. There’s just so much to see there.

I’m not normally an outdoors type of person, but I was just blown away by the surroundings.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Both stunning. Whichever fits into your agenda better and which are you more likely to get to in the future.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
EandHmum
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Thank you both so much for your help

So if we did do Yosemite, we would then I think head back to the PCH (maybe to Monterey) enroute to LA, so we would miss the first part of the PCH. Again I have no clue about the PCH but would we miss anything significant if we didn't do this part?
EandHmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
TinkerBabe
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We loved Yosemite and would highly recommend it, and we are going to Grand Canyon next august so will be able to compare after that. Our first west coast trip started in San Fran then we went to Yosemite, from there we went over to Highway 1 (PCH) and stayed in Capitola, Monterey and Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo. We then travelled to LA, then finally drove via Death Valley to Las Vegas. It was an epic 3 week trip and probably the best we have ever had. We knew we’d come back to Vegas at some point (which is were we are going next summer) so we saved Grand Canyon for our next trip 😊
Old 7 Sep 19, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I’ve been very lucky to have been to both this year.
In February we went to the Grand Canyon for the night as part of a week in Vegas. It was very unfortunate that Arizona was having a huge snow storm so we didn’t get to see the Canyon in its full glory, but we could still appreciate its magnitude and beautiful views
However we have recently returned from a 3 week California road trip where we ended in Yosemite for 3 nights. What can I say? Hands down the most breath taking place I’ve ever been. I actually shed a tear when we got to Tunnel View then again the next morning when we made it up to Glacier Point for the sunrise.
I don't think you’d regret going to either but for me Yosemite wins my vote

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by EandHmum View Post
Thank you both so much for your help

So if we did do Yosemite, we would then I think head back to the PCH (maybe to Monterey) enroute to LA, so we would miss the first part of the PCH. Again I have no clue about the PCH but would we miss anything significant if we didn't do this part?
You wouldn’t miss anything by starting the PCH in Monterey. We drove from San Fran to Monterey via Santa Cruz but didn’t take the coastal road. The best views are between Monterey and Santa Barbara. You must stop at Pfeiffer Beach which was easily the best beach of the 10 we visited. It’s a $12 entry fee but worth every cent, it’s located just south of the Big Sur

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Mobile

Done both and I would say 100 per cent Grand Canyon. .It takes your breath away
Old 7 Sep 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
tinkerbelll
Apprentice Imagineer

Have been to both twice in 3 trips.. Love both for different reasons. If you are an active family at all I would maybe say Yosemite the scenery and walking are stunning somewhere that you can do things. Otherwise the Grand Canyon is breath taking especially if you stay in the national park somewhere to see rather than do if that makes sense.

If you are doing socal- San Diego etc I would do the canyon. Nocal- San Francisco then Yosemite. Really also depends on your route and time of the year.
tinkerbelll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Love*my*hols View Post
Done both and I would say 100 per cent Grand Canyon. .It takes your breath away
I've done both but I would say the other way around 100% Yosemite. It's a difficult choice as both are awesome in the true sense of the word.
The reason being is because unless you fly over the Grand Canyon you can't see the full scale of it. Whereas as in Yosemite you are looking up from the valley floor at El Capitan and Half Dome, plus the view from Glacier Point is amazing.

Edited at 02:45 PM.
JudyC is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List