Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Aug 20, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Lu Lu
Imagineer

Pre paid currency card?

What’s a good option to get? I usually take cash on holiday but am thinking of doing 50/50 this year and get a pre paid currency card but have no idea where to start as never used one before.

It’s for euros - any recommendations?
Lu Lu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaNuts93
Imagineer

We have the Post Office Travel Money Card. Have used it in the US, Canada and Gran Canaria with no problems. There are over 20 currencies you can load it with, and the app makes it easy to upload money, and keep track of spending.

SEE OUR VILLA AT:www.ospreyhouseorlando.com. Luxury five bed/four bath villa with extra large (40 ft) pool overlooking conservation area. Also includes games room.

License number: DWE 4514584
FloridaNuts93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

I have always been a cash or traveller cheque person, didn't even use cards in UK but we decided to try the Revolut card on our trip in 2018, we absolutely loved it - so much so that I still use it here for all my contactless payments and have it linked to google pay on my phone.
The exchange rates were great. You can lock the card on the app for additional security. Topping up takes seconds, I have done it as I walked down the high street or stood in a queue to pay. You get instant notifications of transactions. On holiday we got a daily total at the end of each day of that days spends, so budgeting was so easy.
I have recommended it to so many family members and friends and they all love it too
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
familybell
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Another vote for revolut, agree with the above, I also used mine for booking EasyJet flights as it was in polish zloty and just done a chargeback, no issues and kept informed all through the process, I’m the same all my friends and family also have them, should be earning commission
familybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Revolut is the last card I would touch on the planet due to their working practices (multiple investigations going against them) and for the way they treat staff.

The number of customers who have just had accounts frozen without explanation and money locked away for.months is high. They are also right at the bottom of the customer service rankings.

I would stick to one of the more established cards such as CaxtonFX, Post Office or FairFX.

I have a currency card but it really is 3rd backup these days behind a decent credit card like the Halifax Clarity and a debit card like a Starling Bank card.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I took the pre-paid post office card this holiday to Gran Canaria and found it glitchy. It wouldn’t work at all in one restaurant and a few times only the chip and pin would work which meant we resorted to withdrawing cash a lot to avoid the hassle. This meant we lost a considerable chunk of our money to charges. If I’d have known, I’d just have taken cash. Every shop/restaurant that we used accepted cash by the way (For anyone travelling soon and wondering about whether they would due to Covid.)

Edited at 10:27 AM.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Lu Lu
Imagineer

Thanks all. Am still torn because I can't be doing with glitchy cards and having to find cash machines but have to take a lot of cash this time as we're paying the balance of the villa when we get there.
Lu Lu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List