Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Oct 20, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Jet
Imagineer

Does anyone upcycle furniture?

When lockdown started and we never went on holiday we decided to do our living room.
Dgd and partner was moving into their own place so we gave them everything ..sofas dining table chairs etc.
Which meant we were living on deck chairs for months...as we had to renew everything I started looking on gumtree for things...our sofa..chairs and table are brand new...but tv stand...bookcase dining chairs and mirrors are all upcycled...for the fabulous price of £95 for the lot!
I would never of done this before..but with plenty of time on our hands to look and then do it ...it was well worth it...how many dibbers do it?
Jet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

I bunged , a 50inch tv and stand, 2 side tables and a coffe table and a solid wood cabinet all on Gumtree free , they all went withing the hour all to differant people in need of these 2 were new young home starters👍 this saved me a tip run and i helps someone with little spare cash. Win Win 👍
Old 28 Oct 20, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Jet
Imagineer

Wow! that's good!
I do think it's the way to go in these throwaway times..I suppose I am lucky as DH is retired and always looking for a project😃...and it is so satisfying to see it come together.
I would of loved Gumtree etc when we first got married nearly 46 years ago.
Think of how quick you would of put a home together x

Edited at 11:28 AM.
Jet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I do I’ve done pine headboards toy chests for 2 grandsons and DIL wants a wardrobe and pine sleigh bed that were hers done for Gds room when she moves into a bed
A table and chairs for a friends farmhouse and a dressing table for DIL 2
I’ve got an old armoire in the garage to do for one of our bathrooms just waiting on the paint to be instock
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Jet
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
I do I’ve done pine headboards toy chests for 2 grandsons and DIL wants a wardrobe and pine sleigh bed that were hers done for Gds room when she moves into a bed
A table and chairs for a friends farmhouse and a dressing table for DIL 2
I’ve got an old armoire in the garage to do for one of our bathrooms just waiting on the paint to be instock
Good feeling isint it?
We had an wood armoire when we lived in Spain...I should of brought it back here to do up.
Old 28 Oct 20, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

When we bought our first home we were really strapped for cash and had to furnish a whole house, so almost all of our furniture and appliances were second hand and upcycled. The only thing we bought brand new was our sofa which was in a factory warehouse clearance sale at over 50% off! Some of the things we bought from the shop at the local tip for peanuts. I remember buying a lovely but tired coffee table off a woman for 99p, painted it nicely, used it for 4 years then sold for £80! Another time I bought a oak dining table + 6 chairs for about £20, painted, waxed, reupholstered the set, used again for years then sold for several hundred pounds when we moved house.

Now, we have plenty of disposable income to buy new but a lot of our furniture is still upcycled simply because I like giving good quality furniture a second lease of life, it's good for the environment and my pocket and also you end up with a unique item.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
familybell
Apprentice Imagineer

I’m in the process of upcycling my dining table and chairs, I’m getting a new kitchen fitted and old one doesn’t match and I’ve not been able to see a new one that’s suitable so I thought I’d give it a go, it’s amazing what people can do, just hope mine turns out as nice as I’m hoping
familybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

I've done a couple of bits in the past but I'm not too good at it. We will be advertising our old oak kitchen for upcycling when we redo it in the new year. As the builder said even offering for free we are saving the skip so around £200-300!
Old 28 Oct 20, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Gingerlife
Serious Dibber

I love upcycling furniture and am regularly seen rummaging in skips or buying items from our local tip (they have a shop where people can donate for charity).
I've done bits and pieces for our own houses over the years as well as some to sell.
I find it really relaxing and very satisfying when you see it all come together.
Gingerlife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
tigerfee
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I have just started and I love it.
I decided to redecorate and I gave some of my furniture away. The pieces I kept I painted and I bought some lovely antique style furniture cheaply on Gumtree and charity shops
Once I had painted, it's beautiful. I love it
Plus I get a kick knowing I did it.
tigerfee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List