Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Closed Thread

Old 16 Jul 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

Mobile

I really appreciate your honest review
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Ritz
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I also think the gran destino tower is aimed at the business market you just need to look at number of USB points in the coffee /cocktail lounges. Hopefully will keep them contained in that area.
Also worth remembering that, although the tower looks pretty big it takes capacity from 1950 upto 2385 rooms, so about 20% increase.
Ritz is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
lorr05
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Mobile

Originally Posted by blusteryday View Post
I realise I may not be making a popular point, but I'll put the flame-proof jacket on anyway...

If I stay at a convention hotel I would expect to see people attending conventions. It would change the vibe from a non-convention resort.

I would say, however, that reading Disney's website, they barely make a mention of CSR being a convention resort so they could be setting an incorrect expectation.
When booking Coronado springs through travel agents there is no mention of it being a convention centre. The pictures are of the rooms and pool area which with the pyramid and kids slide definitely makes it look like it is marketed at families. Perhaps this will change with time and they will market more towards couples however this did not help for our family this year.

Also as someone else said the tower may have been their way of separating convention guests and holiday guests, yet they still only have one main quick service dining area which is outside the convention area in the old building so inevitably the two groups of convention goers and Disney guests will mix. This one dining area is also in no way enough for the volume of people that the convention guests bring along with the regular tourists. You expect it to be busy in summer but it was ridiculous.

This is my fourth time staying at a Disney hotel and like I said before there was nothing actually wrong with the hotel, there were just lots of little things that would make me stay elsewhere before going back to Coronado springs.
lorr05 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lorr05 View Post
When booking Coronado springs through travel agents there is no mention of it being a convention centre. The pictures are of the rooms and pool area which with the pyramid and kids slide definitely makes it look like it is marketed at families. Perhaps this will change with time and they will market more towards couples however this did not help for our family this year.

Also as someone else said the tower may have been their way of separating convention guests and holiday guests, yet they still only have one main quick service dining area which is outside the convention area in the old building so inevitably the two groups of convention goers and Disney guests will mix. This one dining area is also in no way enough for the volume of people that the convention guests bring along with the regular tourists. You expect it to be busy in summer but it was ridiculous.

This is my fourth time staying at a Disney hotel and like I said before there was nothing actually wrong with the hotel, there were just lots of little things that would make me stay elsewhere before going back to Coronado springs.
I agree with you in respect of the marketing, almost all on here will be aware its a convention hotel. I suppose you could argue the same for the Swan and Dolphin which are also convention, nothing to do with Disney, and not marketed as such?

At the end of the day its all about filling rooms and making a profit., nothing more, nothing less.

As I said in my earlier post, if you are not happy talk to the Manager and if your issues were so great, I have no doubt you would be moved to another resort entirely.

A pain yes, but that is the only way t change your holiday experience because the convention or the Hotel is not going to change.

Disney332
Old 16 Jul 19, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
amandathepanda
Imagineer

I also enjoyed my holiday there but wouldn’t go back, there was lots of dance kids and there moms there when we were there in May. We were at the supposedly quieter pool, but you couldn’t relax for all the screaming. I know kids want to have fun but it was totally over the top.
Old 16 Jul 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
lorr05

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
Totally get all your points and you have my empathy...but...

The Gran Destino Tower screams, adult holiday at Disney and that IS the target market.

Im booked, as it floats all my boats.

Disney332
Yes it was lovely and it does ‘scream’ adult holiday. However when we booked a year ago, there was no details on what the tower would look like on the inside or even when it would be finished. The first image you tend to see in advertising of Coronado springs is of the pool area with a family by the pool and kids going down the slide which doesn’t ‘scream’ that this hotel is marketed to adults and the hotel certainly never used to be this way. Some people who use forums may be aware it’s a convention centre but for the average family going I would say they would be completely unaware, thinking a Disney hotel marketed to families would have Disney guests and families as it’s primary focus.

For couples going it would be a lovely hotel to stay in, but currently the large mix of families doesn’t mix well with the convention centre guests who are all working away on laptops in the eating area and the families with kids who are on summer holidays. That’s just my personal opinion on it. I’ve also stayed at the Swan and Dolphin and was not aware of any conventions during my day, although I’m sure they were happening they were just kept more discreet/ separate.

As to your other comment. The convention guests are entitled to be there and there was nothing wrong with what they were doing, apart from a few obnoxious woman on the bus one night and I wouldn’t be so petty as to complain to a manager about the behaviour of a few guests. As I said 2 out of 4 conventions were kids competitions so not business types. My issue was the sheer volume of people that this brought to an already busy hotel, specifically the one quick service dining area which became very busy during those days.
If you actually look at my original post I said that there was nothing specifically wrong with the hotel so I wouldn’t be quite so dramatic as to to request to move hotels entirely.
As I stated originally there were just a few little things that added up would make me think twice about going back. I’m well aware that the hotel and convention centre won’t be changing which was the purpose of my review to quite clearly say that this hotel is no longer being marketed as a family hotel, shifting towards couples and as a result I wouldn’t be going back. I enjoyed my holiday and our room was lovely, just a different vibe from usual. I’m sure many people will still love this hotel but personally for me and my family, Disney has lots of hotels to choose from so I’d rather stay elsewhere.

Edited at 10:56 AM.
lorr05 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Rossmasa
VIP Dibber

Sad to see OP so disappointed with there stay.

We are going in a few weeks time and really looking forward to it after originally having to change to POR we have managed to change it back to CSR , have been a number of times over the past few years and have always enjoyed CSR more than any other Disney resort.

I quite liked that it was a bit different to other resorts and didn't feel like overly Disney as it was also a convention center as the Disney bubble at the parks etc can drive you mad at times.

We have been quite fortunate with conventions not really affecting us too much as managed to time the food court well and also buses either got on at Casitas or Rancho's , not looking forward to that this year as we are in the Gran Destino so last stop on the Bus route round the resort.
Caribbean Beach Resort August 2016
Coronado Springs Resort August 2014, 2015, 2017 2018, 2019 (Gran Destino)
Art Of Animation December 2021 2022
Pop Century May 2023 & Christmas New Year 2023/2024
Rossmasa is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Completely agree with the OP.
It was a few years ago we stayed there but our pool time was completely ruined by large groups of Conventioneers swamping our sun beds & the pool area.
Our housekeeping was also very hit & miss but more often late in the afternoon.
Pre Tower it was a beautiful looking resort and I hope it still is but I wouldn’t return in a hurry.
We transferred from the to Port Orleans Riverside and really felt we were in a resort hotel then.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Quensabob
VIP Dibber

Quensabob's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
I still think they want to cater to families as you say one of the conventions was a child one,I think unfortunately like everything Disney sometimes it gets very busy!
I think maybe they will look at counter service again in the future, but I think they hope the tower convention guests will eat in the Dahlia lounge and toledo more that mercado de Coronado!
We visited Coronado last September for a quick look around and couldn't believe how quiet is was, all the pools were empty and at that point the dig site was closed and the counter service was empty just us and one other family in, so I suppose it just depends when you visit!

Sunset Ridge Sept2006,Highlands Reserve Sept 2007,Solana Sept 2008,Championsgate March 2010,Courtyard 2011,Clarion Inn June 2013,lakebuena vista resort Sept 2015, Santa Fe Paris Sept 2017,Newport Bay Club Paris March 2018,Clarion inn August 2018,Coronado Springs September 2019, Hotel l’elysee Disneyland Paris March 2020 ,Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa November2022, Pop Century September 2023
Quensabob is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
lorr05

Mobile

Originally Posted by Quensabob View Post
I still think they want to cater to families as you say one of the conventions was a child one,I think unfortunately like everything Disney sometimes it gets very busy!
I think maybe they will look at counter service again in the future, but I think they hope the tower convention guests will eat in the Dahlia lounge and toledo more that mercado de Coronado!
We visited Coronado last September for a quick look around and couldn't believe how quiet is was, all the pools were empty and at that point the dig site was closed and the counter service was empty just us and one other family in, so I suppose it just depends when you visit!
Of course you expect Disney to be busy, especially in the summer but it was already busy on the days when there were no conventions. On the days that there were conventions this doubled.

I agree I think they are hoping people from conventions will be using the new bars/ restaurants in the tower, however mercado de Coronado is outside the convention centre so it will inevitably be used by them, especially for breakfast and lunch. Hopefully they add more quick service eating in the tower, even a snack bar would help.
Closed Thread