Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Hey Abby, I'm finally catching up
I'm loving the eating around the world photos! Well done on making the baklava, you've got far more patience than me. The white fish and potato croquettes look, erm interesting . I'm not a fish fan so that's prob why. That soda bread looks amazing though, do you have the recipe?
I'm another one who loves the fact you're still updating this report. I think we all need just a little bit of hope at the moment, no one knows for sure what will happen in 3 months!
Have a great Easter weekend everyone
Yes a lot of patience was needed with the Baklava, on reflection though it was worth it. I said never again, but as we do seem to have time on our side at the moment maybe we will venture into baklava territory once again.

The soda bread was so simple though and mess free. I've made other yeast bread and I cannot be doing with kneading and waiting and proving and kneading some more. The soda bread was a real hit and it's just 4 ingredients.

Heat oven to 220 Celsius or gas 7. Put 450g plain flour, 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda, 1 tsp salt in a bowl, mix together, make a well. Pour 350 ml of buttermilk* in, mix and then put into a tin (dust tin with flour first). Cook for 35 minutes or until the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.

*Now I don't ever have buttermilk but if a recipe uses it I put the same amount of normal milk in a jug and then add 1 tbsp of lemon juice (from a bottle) and leave for 10 minutes. Works a charm.

How is your living room ceiling doing? Have you finished?

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
I've got a lamb dodger here too so I've bought a spatchcock chicken from Marks to go with it. Will use the leftovers in the week as we've got far more meat than we'll need for just Sunday.

Ooh Mini eggs cheesecake! I was meant to make one of those for Mothers Day but didn't get around to it but I still have the ingredients, minus the mini eggs (I obviously ate those )

How do you do the McMuffins? Can you buy the sausage patties like they are?
Not sure what Colette does but I use the same sausage meat that I use at Christmas as a sausage meat stuffing. It comes in a pack and I just make it into patties and cook them in a frying pan. Its a pain in the butt to clean the pan though. So I'm curious to hear if Colette does the same

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.

Edited at 08:24 PM.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 20, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

We also used sausage meat and made our own patties, I grilled them rather than fried though.

I think everyone is following the McDs recipe as sausage meat was sold out in Tesco yesterday, I managed to get some in the freezer section. Tesco do sell frozen sausage patties but they aren't particularly nice, we bought a box ages ago and have only used them once. I keep meaning to chuck the remaining ones in an omlette.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 20, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Just catching up on this thread, having not checked it in a few weeks. I'm sorry to hear you were struggling so much at the beginning of all this craziness Abby, but it seems like your family have settled into a home routine now, with a good mix of work, chill time and outdoor walks. I had a few teary days at the start of all this too, but we are lucky to have to go into work still, which provides routine. I hate the travel in and out of work though, although we drive in and home together but I just feel guilty and scared being out and about. Silly, I know, and we have letters from our employers in case we are stopped but it makes me anxious.

It must be worrying for the children who were meant to be taking exams soon, your own as well as your students. It's lovely to read how much you care about your students, particularly the vulnerable ones... they are very lucky having you in their lives to keep checking in on them in these tough times. My own daughter is at college and is having her first online lecture tomorrow and her first online exam on Wednesday, so we'll see how that goes. It's all just so uncertain for them and I think much harder to understand the context of lessons without an actual person explaining it all. I know my DD certainly struggles with this. It sounds as though Max is continuing to work hard so however they decide the results, I really hope he gets the recognition he deserves.

I'm loving reading about and seeing all of the meals you're rustling up. The USA and Morocco meals look particularly good. It's actually making me want to like cooking, when in reality I hate it and stay out of the kitchen as much as possible. My DH was a chef in his previous life, so I'm very lucky that he makes all of our meals because I find cooking very stressful. It seems like you really enjoy it, and like trying out new recipes.

It's nice that you're having good weather down there so you can get out in the garden. Reading about your swing ball tournament gave me the fear... I once knocked my DD out playing swing ball and had to rush her to A & E. My ex mother-in-law was visiting at the time and was running around my house shouting "you've killed her" over and over which wasn't at all helpful . It must not have done my daughter much harm in the end as she graduated with a first class honours degree last year but it was really scary at the time Sorry for oversharing, your photos just reminded me so much of that day... I hope this hasn't put you off enjoying family games in the garden

I think that you and everyone else with holidays coming up should absolutely keep planning and hoping for the best outcome until told otherwise. We need hope and something good to look forward to to see us through this. I'm going to keep reading reports and pre-trips because I'm still hopeful that I'll get my much longed for on-site stay soon. We were actually planning it for next year, but I think that's doubtful now as we will probably end up having this years holidays next year, pushing Disney back to 2022. It could work out better anyway, as I suspect next year will be ridiculously busy with all of the rescheduled holidays and the anniversary as well.

It's great that you and Kate are keeping the Disney dream alive with the Disney movies. It sounds like there are a fair few films that weren't worth bothering with but it's good to watch them anyway in the spirit of keeping to the complete list. I hadn't ever seen a Star Wars film before but we've watched them all in the last couple of weeks, and are now onto The Mandalorian. So now Galaxy's Edge is something else new I can look forward to, hopefully for 2022. Fingers crossed you will get to see it all for yourself later this year. I think there will be a few less dodgy films as you get to more modern times.

I think that's all for now... sorry for rambling on. It's good to have a place for random thoughts as well as holiday planning. Take care Abby and have a good Easter

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 20, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
We also used sausage meat and made our own patties, I grilled them rather than fried though.

I think everyone is following the McDs recipe as sausage meat was sold out in Tesco yesterday, I managed to get some in the freezer section. Tesco do sell frozen sausage patties but they aren't particularly nice, we bought a box ages ago and have only used them once. I keep meaning to chuck the remaining ones in an omlette.
Good idea to grill, I hadn't thought of that and it's so obvious. I've got some sausage meat so I will have to do some soon.

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
Just catching up on this thread, having not checked it in a few weeks. I'm sorry to hear you were struggling so much at the beginning of all this craziness Abby, but it seems like your family have settled into a home routine now, with a good mix of work, chill time and outdoor walks. I had a few teary days at the start of all this too, but we are lucky to have to go into work still, which provides routine. I hate the travel in and out of work though, although we drive in and home together but I just feel guilty and scared being out and about. Silly, I know, and we have letters from our employers in case we are stopped but it makes me anxious.

It must be worrying for the children who were meant to be taking exams soon, your own as well as your students. It's lovely to read how much you care about your students, particularly the vulnerable ones... they are very lucky having you in their lives to keep checking in on them in these tough times. My own daughter is at college and is having her first online lecture tomorrow and her first online exam on Wednesday, so we'll see how that goes. It's all just so uncertain for them and I think much harder to understand the context of lessons without an actual person explaining it all. I know my DD certainly struggles with this. It sounds as though Max is continuing to work hard so however they decide the results, I really hope he gets the recognition he deserves.

I'm loving reading about and seeing all of the meals you're rustling up. The USA and Morocco meals look particularly good. It's actually making me want to like cooking, when in reality I hate it and stay out of the kitchen as much as possible. My DH was a chef in his previous life, so I'm very lucky that he makes all of our meals because I find cooking very stressful. It seems like you really enjoy it, and like trying out new recipes.

It's nice that you're having good weather down there so you can get out in the garden. Reading about your swing ball tournament gave me the fear... I once knocked my DD out playing swing ball and had to rush her to A & E. My ex mother-in-law was visiting at the time and was running around my house shouting "you've killed her" over and over which wasn't at all helpful . It must not have done my daughter much harm in the end as she graduated with a first class honours degree last year but it was really scary at the time Sorry for oversharing, your photos just reminded me so much of that day... I hope this hasn't put you off enjoying family games in the garden

I think that you and everyone else with holidays coming up should absolutely keep planning and hoping for the best outcome until told otherwise. We need hope and something good to look forward to to see us through this. I'm going to keep reading reports and pre-trips because I'm still hopeful that I'll get my much longed for on-site stay soon. We were actually planning it for next year, but I think that's doubtful now as we will probably end up having this years holidays next year, pushing Disney back to 2022. It could work out better anyway, as I suspect next year will be ridiculously busy with all of the rescheduled holidays and the anniversary as well.

It's great that you and Kate are keeping the Disney dream alive with the Disney movies. It sounds like there are a fair few films that weren't worth bothering with but it's good to watch them anyway in the spirit of keeping to the complete list. I hadn't ever seen a Star Wars film before but we've watched them all in the last couple of weeks, and are now onto The Mandalorian. So now Galaxy's Edge is something else new I can look forward to, hopefully for 2022. Fingers crossed you will get to see it all for yourself later this year. I think there will be a few less dodgy films as you get to more modern times.

I think that's all for now... sorry for rambling on. It's good to have a place for random thoughts as well as holiday planning. Take care Abby and have a good Easter
I'm less teary than than I was and we're all getting used to the current status quo. It must be very odd for you travelling to work each day. I have to say I worry when I drive to Tesco and it's obviously allowed, but it's a funny thing isn't it? I'm not surprised you're feeling stressed out on the journey and having fears of being pulled over.

Good luck to your daughter in her exam. It's very different than the usual way of working and it's a been tough for all of us to get used to. I've found my explanations have taken such a long time as what is so easy to explain in front of a class is somehow much harder to write in words and hope they follow what I'm saying.

Ooh, you're own chef at home. I've been enjoying planning meals. We're going to be doing a French meal soon, mainly as the kids love steak and frites, well we all do. I'm going to attempt a tarte an chocolat for dessert. I've given up on worrying about fitting into shorts...I'll need a whole lot of elasticated waists!

I laughed reading your horror story about swingball, your MIL sounds like a real trooper in a crisis, just who you need helping keep everyone calm

We watched Alice in Wonderland today, which was Kate's favourite Disney movie when she was little. It's a cute movie and you're right, we've moved out of the wilderness now and onto a glorious patch or movies. Peter Pan is up next and we've got Lady and the Tramp soon which I haven't seen in many years.

Take care and I hope you enjoyed the Easter weekend off work x

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 20, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Lynda, you are so right about us needing to have hope. I was thinking exactly the same thing this morning, if we give up hope, what do we have left?! Had to chuckle at the swing ball story, I am sure that one never gets old.

Hope everyone has had a lovely Easter. I am absolutely stuffed and having spent all day in the kitchen I am enjoying an evening just relaxing, this is how Bank Holiday weekends are supposed to be
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 20, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Abby, yes it is odd driving to work. It only takes about 6 minutes or so in the car but it’s so quiet out and about that I almost feel like I shouldn’t be out at all. So far so good with not being stopped but it is a worry.

Hmm, my ex MIL was very highly strung - absolutely no use at all in a crisis 😂. Colette, you’re right, Shannon dines out on that story constantly. She loves telling people how her mum knocked her out when she was 8! 😳. In my defence, she should have moved her head when she saw the ball coming towards it. I mean, the idea is to hit the ball right, not have it hit you 😂.

Ooh Alice in Wonderland is a good one. My girls loved it too when they were small. I’m not a fan of the Johnny Depp one, it has to be the cartoon for this one.

Colette, all day in the kitchen! My worst nightmare. I hope you enjoyed it though, and more importantly enjoyed eating all of the goodies you made.

You’re right, we just can’t give up hope of better days now - we must try to stay positive as hard as it might be some days.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Lynda, you are so right about us needing to have hope. I was thinking exactly the same thing this morning, if we give up hope, what do we have left?! Had to chuckle at the swing ball story, I am sure that one never gets old.

Hope everyone has had a lovely Easter. I am absolutely stuffed and having spent all day in the kitchen I am enjoying an evening just relaxing, this is how Bank Holiday weekends are supposed to be
I'm glad you're making the most of the Easter eating competition We've got gammon for today's dinner. Plus I made brownies yesterday. Tomorrow is Mexican! Taco's Tuesday! Well sort of we don't actually have Taco's, but we will be making enchiladas, salsa, guacamole, beans and rice. Plus we found a recipe for no-fry churros, they are baked in the oven so I'm going to try that out. Literally can't stop thinking about food. I'm either looking it up or making it...

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
Abby, yes it is odd driving to work. It only takes about 6 minutes or so in the car but it’s so quiet out and about that I almost feel like I shouldn’t be out at all. So far so good with not being stopped but it is a worry.

Hmm, my ex MIL was very highly strung - absolutely no use at all in a crisis 😂. Colette, you’re right, Shannon dines out on that story constantly. She loves telling people how her mum knocked her out when she was 8! 😳. In my defence, she should have moved her head when she saw the ball coming towards it. I mean, the idea is to hit the ball right, not have it hit you 😂.

Ooh Alice in Wonderland is a good one. My girls loved it too when they were small. I’m not a fan of the Johnny Depp one, it has to be the cartoon for this one.

Colette, all day in the kitchen! My worst nightmare. I hope you enjoyed it though, and more importantly enjoyed eating all of the goodies you made.

You’re right, we just can’t give up hope of better days now - we must try to stay positive as hard as it might be some days.
I'm sure you're right and you weren't aiming for her head, you can't help it if she didn't get her head out of the way in time.

It was Peter Pan next this morning and that is a fab movie. I think it's the one I've enjoyed the most so far on the movie marathon. It's fun and carefree.

Think of a happy thought! I loved it.

Old 13 Apr 20, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Well, now craving Mexican food and brownies! Yummy Love your movie marathons. We watched the new Lady and the Tramp on Disney Plus last week - absolutely loved it. Also love the Disney Fairytale Weddings although does make me desperate to be there. Spend my daily walks trying to imagine I am somewhere else in the world - Main Street or Celebration ideally! Take care and enjoy the rest of this long weekend
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Oh Abby, I am really enjoying your cooking updates, you have been making loads of delicious themed meals. If I am not eating, then I am cooking or thinking about food I am hoping we are given lots of notice before we start to ‘go back to work’ so I have half a chance of getting back into my work clothes.

Your Disney Movie Marathon is a brilliant idea, Peter Pan is one of my favourites as is Lady and the Tramp. It’s lovely that Kate is enjoying revisiting old favourites.

So despite this really strange time, we have now settled into a more relaxed routine, Cooper and I have been cooking together and we have also had our own swing ball tournament. I am completely rubbish but play on regardless :Adam and Cooper are very very competitive!

It’s so lovely to see your positive spirit, I’m looking forward to reading more cooking/movie updates.
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 20, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Mobile

Love the Moroccan meal and the soda bread - they look great. The ribs look yummy too.

We managed to find some flour from a local Italian deli...however it was in a giant bag and the man (who spoke no English) just scooped it into a clear plastic baggy for us, so we’re not quite sure what it is 😄 it’s made amazing Yorkshire puddings so far, and a lovely pizza base so it was worth the gamble!

Is it daft to say I’m still waiting for free dining to be announced for next year? I don’t want to start that annual debate but if it does pop up, I think we’ll book and then see how it all pans out.
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List