Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Apr 20, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Egon
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Why wont it help. The financial state of Virgin Atlantic is relevant information to anyone thinking of booking with them.
I Think its because of the way its worded
Egon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 20, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

Why wont it help. The financial state of Virgin Atlantic is relevant information to anyone thinking of booking with them.
Exactly as above.. it's the way it's worded, it's just not needed.

There are plenty of other airlines fly from the UK to the US.
Are there

Other than VS - BA, Norwegian, Aer Lingus & TUI are all I can currently think of which fly direct.. if you want in-direct there are options yes but still not many.
Jan 24 - Family timeshare, Vacation Villages at Parkway
Mar 25 - Family timeshare, Holiday Inn Club Vacations @ Orange Lake
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 20, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by itsmeGAV View Post
Exactly as above.. it's the way it's worded, it's just not needed.

Are there

Other than VS - BA, Norwegian, Aer Lingus & TUI are all I can currently think of which fly direct.. if you want in-direct there are options yes but still not many.
Well all the main US airlines fly from UK to US. Indirect is fairly straightforward and competes with direct.
Anyway, is Virgin go down, someone will likely pick up the routes - at least the profitable ones.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 20, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
sacratini28
Getting Excited

Just to update,I received the email cancelling our May 5th flight directly from Virgin Atlantic this morning !

Ive text asking for a refund and received an automated reply saying they will reply ASAP.

To be far this is a good as can be expected in the current climate.Just hope I get the money back !

Edited at 05:35 PM.
sacratini28 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 20, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Pre Covid-19, there were lots of indirect flight options. Admittedly, some of these will doubtless disappear / become less convenient as the airlines trim their schedules as we emerge from lockdown.

Off the top of my head, some obvious candidates for indirect US airports are Boston, New York JFK / Newark, Washington, Atlanta & Chicago. I've also done Miami in the past and then took the short flight to Orlando to avoid the drive. Don't forget Tampa as a MCO option either - it's only an hour or so's drive to Disney & may become an even more popular option for Brits when TUI switch their operations to Melbourne (80 miles to Disney) in 2022.

Iceland Air also do indirect to MCO via Reykjavik & allow a stopover / break in journey there. I have friends who broke their journey in Iceland for several hours and did a day trip to the Blue Lagoon (another thing ticked off the list for them).
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 20, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

Well all the main US airlines fly from UK to US. Indirect is fairly straightforward and competes with direct.
Anyway, is Virgin go down, someone will likely pick up the routes - at least the profitable ones.
... and charge a fortune for the pleasure, just like VS did when TC went bust.
Old 20 Apr 20, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

I cannot believe that the Orlando route is not profitable for Virgin. At peak holiday times they have 5 or 6 flights into Orlando, which is also one of the big 3 convention venues in the USA.

Don't forget the cargo in the hold either - often airlines can make more money from carrying the belly-cargo than passengers.

Quite simply if the Orlando route is not profitable, then one has to question why Virgin has operated it with the frequency it does for years. You don't do that sort of thing as a vanity project to prop-up the sister Virgin Holidays business. I accept loads can be light in the off-peak season & the frequency is reduced - but above comment about cargo still applies year-round.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 20, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
I cannot believe that the Orlando route is not profitable for Virgin. At peak holiday times they have 5 or 6 flights into Orlando, which is also one of the big 3 convention venues in the USA.

Don't forget the cargo in the hold either - often airlines can make more money from carrying the belly-cargo than passengers.

Quite simply if the Orlando route is not profitable, then one has to question why Virgin has operated it with the frequency it does for years. You don't do that sort of thing as a vanity project to prop-up the sister Virgin Holidays business. I accept loads can be light in the off-peak season & the frequency is reduced - but above comment about cargo still applies year-round.
I didn't suggest the Orlando routes aren't profitable - I dont know. If they are, some one will start to run them if not VS.

Edited at 06:06 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 20, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

Pre Covid-19, there were lots of indirect flight options. Admittedly, some of these will doubtless disappear / become less convenient as the airlines trim their schedules as we emerge from lockdown.

Off the top of my head, some obvious candidates for indirect US airports are Boston, New York JFK / Newark, Washington, Atlanta & Chicago. I've also done Miami in the past and then took the short flight to Orlando to avoid the drive. Don't forget Tampa as a MCO option either - it's only an hour or so's drive to Disney & may become an even more popular option for Brits when TUI switch their operations to Melbourne (80 miles to Disney) in 2022.

Iceland Air also do indirect to MCO via Reykjavik & allow a stopover / break in journey there. I have friends who broke their journey in Iceland for several hours and did a day trip to the Blue Lagoon (another thing ticked off the list for them).
I was mostly talking about airlines which solely operate direct flights out of the UK which we can identify there are 5 including VS.

Yes there are airlines which offer the in-direct options you've mentioned above however when I think about what airlines are available, I can think of less than 10.. closer to 5 even. That still isn't many at all.

Isn't this something that's been widely known for a few years with VS? I'm almost positive they put something out a few years back stating they don't make profit on seats.
Old 20 Apr 20, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

... and charge a fortune for the pleasure, just like VS did when TC went bust.
Maybe. Things aren't going back to the way they were. Many more companies are going to be in trouble. Flying to Florida might possibly be the least of our worries.