Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 10 Mar 18, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post

Out and about?

I have basically based our whole 2 week itinerary around Disney World & Universal, but I have left a few days with no set plans.
What is there to do out & about other than the big parks, general big tourist attractions and usual draws please?

IF we can afford it whilst we are over there, we may want to go to Kennedy; is it quite easy to just decide on the day and book tickets, or is this something you really should book well in advance please?

My daughter said she would like to do some shopping, but I heard there is a good (non Disney) shop in Disney springs that is reasonably priced?

We don't have a car so I just don't want to jump on a bus or get an Uber and not know where to go or do anything too expensive. As you can all appreciate, this holiday has cost a lot already!

Anyway, I know some of you will have some great idea's with all of your Orlando experiences? !

Edited at 12:36 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 18, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We have 5 days in our 19 day holiday where we have nothing planned, and I can't wait lol. We will likely have a beach day, have a shopping day, laze around the villa and just wake up and see what we fancy doing.

If your daughter wants to do some shopping then I wouldn't suggest Disney Springs. We love a mooch around DS, sole fan shops, stopping for a drink and the outside entertainment, but we wouldn't go there to just do some shopping. We like a trip to the Florida Mall, or one of the outlets. So many more options, I know you don't have a car but UBER is so easy to use out there and an inexpensive way of getting around. You can book tours to Kennedy where transport is provided but I would say you have to book in advance. I think attraction tickets direct sell them, I don't think a day to Kennedy is too expensive.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 18, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

We bought our tickets for Kennedy space centre whilst there with no problems at all. There are lots of different shopping outlets (a bit like Cheshire Oaks if you’ve ever been there) that you could try. How old is your daughter? Would she like to have a go at crazy golf? There are some good ones on I.drive. My two boys loved the pirate one near the Orlando eye, which is something else you could try.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 18, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Conno
Very Serious Dibber

I think Sea World/Busch Gardens are worth a visit, specially if there are people in your group who love roller coasters. Some of them are great - such as Mako and Manta. The animal experiences are fun, I love feeding the sea lions.

If you can make it to Busch Gardens in Tampa (there are inexpensive transfers for around $10pp) - that's worth a visit too.

You can get a 2 day ticket for Busch/Sea World for $99 per person, which makes entry to each park only $49 - a steal in my opinion.

Sea World is much more accessible and near Universal, you can do 1 day there for $79 without the Busch addon.

Edited at 10:44 AM.
Conno is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 18, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
We bought our tickets for Kennedy space centre whilst there with no problems at all. There are lots of different shopping outlets (a bit like Cheshire Oaks if you’ve ever been there) that you could try. How old is your daughter? Would she like to have a go at crazy golf? There are some good ones on I.drive. My two boys loved the pirate one near the Orlando eye, which is something else you could try.
My daughter is 29 but my granddaughter is 7 and she will definitely want to spend her savings too.

No I have never been to Cheshire Oaks and I am not a fan of shopping but in this case, I think I will enjoy it as its somewhere different!

Golf isn't something we would enjoy but thank you for your idea's.

I love that pic of you all with Olaf btw!
Old 10 Mar 18, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
We have 5 days in our 19 day holiday where we have nothing planned, and I can't wait lol. We will likely have a beach day, have a shopping day, laze around the villa and just wake up and see what we fancy doing.

If your daughter wants to do some shopping then I wouldn't suggest Disney Springs. We love a mooch around DS, sole fan shops, stopping for a drink and the outside entertainment, but we wouldn't go there to just do some shopping. We like a trip to the Florida Mall, or one of the outlets. So many more options, I know you don't have a car but UBER is so easy to use out there and an inexpensive way of getting around. You can book tours to Kennedy where transport is provided but I would say you have to book in advance. I think attraction tickets direct sell them, I don't think a day to Kennedy is too expensive.
So is the Florida Mall quite close, a short taxi ride away?

I am planning daily now as I want to make the most of this holiday for sure... (I need to work on getting fitter mind) and I know planning for every day might not be everyone's cuppa, but the last time we went (17 yrs ago) you really didn't get the chance to plan in the way you can now.

So Disney Springs is definitely worth a visit - just not for shopping?

I will have to wait and see whilst we are there & if we have money for Kennedy as we have planned in so much.

Thank you for your advice.
Old 10 Mar 18, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Conno View Post
I think Sea World/Busch Gardens are worth a visit, specially if there are people in your group who love roller coasters. Some of them are great - such as Mako and Manta. The animal experiences are fun, I love feeding the sea lions.

If you can make it to Busch Gardens in Tampa (there are inexpensive transfers for around $10pp) - that's worth a visit too.

You can get a 2 day ticket for Busch/Sea World for $99 per person, which makes entry to each park only $49 - a steal in my opinion.

Sea World is much more accessible and near Universal, you can do 1 day there for $79 without the Busch addon.
I really want to do SeaWorld I have to admit, but my daughter is dead against it and it would upset her, so I am prepared to miss it.

I did go to Busch Gardens in 1997 and I remember I loved it; the Montu was the biggest ride back then!
Roughly how long is that on the bus please?

I also would love to go to ClearWater Beach but I definitely remember it taking us hours to get there, and when we arrived - the wind was so strong, it was whipping the sand hard against us!

Thank you for your advice.
Old 11 Mar 18, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I may be in the minority but I would not plan a lot of time at Disney Springs. Our last two trips in 2015 and 2016 it was so crowded it was not enjoyable. For part of the 2015 trip we were at SSR and it was a lovely walk in the evening but we did not stay long-DD got her Earl of Sandwich fix and we headed back.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 18, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
I may be in the minority but I would not plan a lot of time at Disney Springs. Our last two trips in 2015 and 2016 it was so crowded it was not enjoyable. For part of the 2015 trip we were at SSR and it was a lovely walk in the evening but we did not stay long-DD got her Earl of Sandwich fix and we headed back.
What month/s were you there?
We are going in May.

Is it mainly shopping and restaurants?
Old 12 Mar 18, 01:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

We were there end of April into May in 2015 and March (week before Easter) in 2016.

DS is primarily restaurants and Disney shops. There is a little entertainment. We used to always plan at least an evening but our last two trips it has been quite unpleasant-waiting over an hour for a sandwich does not make for a lot of fun.

Most of the shops are IMO expensive and I don't think I have ever seen sales in over 20 visits.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List