Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 11 Feb 19, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
antietam
Imagineer

Directions and Tolls from Miami Airport Help?

Hi all

Arriving at Miami Airport and collecting car from Avis

I need to first get to Embassy Suites Boca Raton North West and then the following morning to Walt Disney World.

Arriving 1500 on a Saturday of Memorial Weekend.

The questions i need help with are that i need a toll pass.
Do Avis supply one and what does it cost or should i pay as i go.

This depends on how i get to Boca Raton but i do want to use the Turnpike from Boca Raton to Walt Disney World.

I notice there are a few ways you can get to Boca Raton from Airport but any advice on the best way would be good.

Also is the turnpike the way to go up to Orlando?

Any help would be great

Thanks
Old 11 Feb 19, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Northtim
Excited about Disney

Avis toll pass is OK, I would accept that as it is not a rip off and is convenient. Especially around Miami where there are plenty of tolls - knowing you are on the pass and just drive through without worrying.

Don't know about directions to Boca Raton or from there to Orlando I'm afraid. We did fly into Miami last year but stayed in Miami Beach then used US27 as a pleasant route up to Orlando - may be slightly longer than turnpike and doesn't look sensible when you have driven up to Boca Raton. No doubt someone will come on here and give you good advice!
Northtim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Can't help on your specific route I'm afraid as we've never been to Boca Raton but we have travelled MIA to Davenport using the toll free US27. Dibbers views differ on this. Turnpike quicker by maybe 15 minutes (from MIA) but 27 is toll free.

This web site tells you all you need to know about Sunpass. Open "Traveller Information" tab and you'll see how you are charged. You basically do nothing but drive through a toll plaza, a camera will photograph you plate and you'll be charged in due course on your CC that they swiped at the barrier.

The only subtle difference between the Avis scheme and Alamo is that Avis charge per "rental" day before you hit their maximum fee. Alamo charge per "usage". In the greater scheme of things though not a major cost.

Once you've used Avis Sunpass on day one you may as well keep using it all holiday.

sunpass/en/about/whe...eSunPass.shtml

Mick

Edited at 11:36 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

The Turnpike is definitely the best route from Boca Raton. I would definitely use Toll Pass as well.
Old 11 Feb 19, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

All tolls in and around Miami and Ft L are electronic so the car will be fitted out to deal with this. You will be staying at the Embassy Suites so I would get back onto I95 in the morning and stay on it until Jupiter where you can join the Turnpike. Be aware that there are only 3 service areas along the Turnpike so think carefully about comfort stops before you drive past one.
Old 11 Feb 19, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
All tolls in and around Miami and Ft L are electronic so the car will be fitted out to deal with this. You will be staying at the Embassy Suites so I would get back onto I95 in the morning and stay on it until Jupiter where you can join the Turnpike. Be aware that there are only 3 service areas along the Turnpike so think carefully about comfort stops before you drive past one.
To save folks looking for a transponder or such on the car, there may no special gear in the car as the system does not need a transponder. The charging works, as Mick says, by numberplate recognition, so as long as your car has a numberplate you just drive thro the toll. With Avis your car is now registered and charged for the complete rental period plus the tolls at cost. You don’t need to say anything at collection of car.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
brummymummy
Imagineer

brummymummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Guidebook Photos: 90
I used the i95 last year when we flew into Miami and drove up to Boynton Beach, we didn’t hit any tolls but did hit traffic on the way out of Miami. You aren’t going as far so shouldn’t be as bad 🤞

I was worried about the tolls before we got there and you can use them but on the i95 anyway it’s the middle lane.
2012 Pre-trippie
brummymummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 19, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
glenandem
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
To save folks looking for a transponder or such on the car, there may no special gear in the car as the system does not need a transponder. The charging works, as Mick says, by numberplate recognition, so as long as your car has a numberplate you just drive thro the toll. With Avis your car is now registered and charged for the complete rental period plus the tolls at cost. You don’t need to say anything at collection of car.

How do you turn them off if they don’t have anything in the car🤗
glenandem is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 19, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by glenandem View Post
In Florida just driving through any Sunpass lane will enable the Sunpass scheme to start. If there's no transponder in the car there's nothing to worry about.

Here is a typical toll plaza (actually it's the first one on 417 south after you've left MCO)

If you want to pay cash just keep right and pay the attendant (or throw sufficient coins in the basket if unmanned). Going through the Sunpass lane without stopping and you'll be photographed and Sunpass will click in. Even with transponder switched off.

Be careful though that at some toll plazas there's no cash option - such as those near Miami on the Turnpike. The link in my post #3 explains everything.

Mick

Edited at 10:26 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 19, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by glenandem View Post
As I said in my post you just drive thro the toll and it reads your numberplate. The toll charge is automatically sent to the registered owner of the car (Avis).
You don’t switch on or switch off anything.

Micks post sums it up perfectly 👍

Edited at 11:20 AM.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List