Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 May 19, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Facial recognition objections - really?

What is our country coming to when people are taking the police to court for breaching their human rights for using automated facial recognition.

Crime is on the increase in our country and we have some dangerous people out there, many of whom are wanted by the police, but some stupid people feel hurt because apparently their human rights have been breached.

I want to keep me and my family safe and I absolutely encourage automated facial recognition or any other technology available to catch the criminals, but sadly not everyone shares my views, and that's why our country is such a soft touch to so many criminals.

I wonder how these 'hurt' people whose human rights have been breached, would feel if them or their loved ones were caused serious harm by criminals that might have been caught by facial recognition technology.

Edited at 07:44 AM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

Totally agree. This country is bending over to the do gooders and the reason discipline has eroded.
Get some backbone GB
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

I absolutely agree.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

If I attend a political rally, stand at the back, clap, boo, generally comport myself in a peaceful, lawful manner, should my DNA and fingerprints be taken, then stored however the authorities wish, being accessed by man and machine alike with little or no regulation on who can access or why they are being accessed?

If not, why not? - that is what they are doing by collecting images at these events, and then using them in their facial recognition vans and centres - no crime has been committed, attending a political rally, a music festival etc is not a crime. Walking down the street later is not a crime.

To take it to an extreme - How would people feel if they were set up on the road to an abortion clinic?
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Manby pansies rule again. It's looking more & more like the idiots running the asylum !
Oh dear am I allowed to say that any more!
Happy Whatever Doesnt Offend You Day Everyone
Old 21 May 19, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
If I attend a political rally, stand at the back, clap, boo, generally comport myself in a peaceful, lawful manner, should my DNA and fingerprints be taken, then stored however the authorities wish, being accessed by man and machine alike with little or no regulation on who can access or why they are being accessed?

If not, why not? - that is what they are doing by collecting images at these events, and then using them in their facial recognition vans and centres - no crime has been committed, attending a political rally, a music festival etc is not a crime. Walking down the street later is not a crime.

To take it to an extreme - How would people feel if they were set up on the road to an abortion clinic?
Facial recognition doesn't arrest every face they capture, they are only looking to identify and bring to justice the growing list of bad and dangerous people amongst us.

So if you are not committing a crime walking down the street or attending a music festival you have nothing to worry about.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
So if you are not committing a crime walking down the street or attending a music festival you have nothing to worry about.
At the moment! I’ve not got total faith in our democratic system that this will always be the case.

As the mother of ID twins and someone with a local doppelgänger (seriously my own Mother mistook this woman for me) I’ve also got worries around the accuracy of such systems.

Sometimes media hype and government expedience can bring things in that we later regret.
Old 21 May 19, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

I don’t have an issue with facial recognition technology being used without individual permission. My only concern would be mass collecting and storing of DNA (other than that of those within the criminal justice system). I have very little confidence in the security of databases. The consequences of DNA data theft doesn’t bear thinking about.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Facial recognition doesn't arrest every face they capture, they are only looking to identify and bring to justice the growing list of bad and dangerous people amongst us.

I feel sad that I live in a country where some people feel so unsafe they want us all to be watched, all the time, even when they are doing no wrong.

The problems come with who sets the watch lists, what is their agenda. The watch lists are not just people who have committed crimes - that is the problem. They are people who have the wrong acquaintances, frequent the wrong places - who decides what is wrong? At the moment anyone... it is unregulated...

You will more than likely be on a watch list yourself MH if you go to the Nigel Farage thing. Be careful who you stand next to. Be careful what comments you make... You will be on a list... Your image will be stored and looked for.

Guilt by association is not something normally experienced by the general dibb demographic...

Edited at 08:26 AM.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i object to it. there are many, many reasons why...

who is allowed to access the data? and who keeps it secure from potential hackers and bad actors? our government don't have the best track record in IT projects, and how long before they start using it for other purposes? or just selling the data to third parties? no doubt they will farm it out to the lowest bidder (capita? amazon? facebook? g4s?) and what could possibly go wrong!?

facial recognition disproportionately misidentifies non-white people, so they could be the target of harrassment from the police. this is a known, proven bias with current technology. [1][2][3]

A Freedom of Information request to South Wales Police reveals that innocent people were incorrectly matched to criminals nine out of ten times - theguardian/uk-news/...nology-failure

Florida Is Using Facial Recognition to Convict People Without Giving Them a Chance to Challenge the Tech - aclu/blog/privacy-te...convict-people - america, police and black people. again, what could possibly go wrong?!

plenty more info on the EFF - eff/pages/face-recognition

Edited at 08:58 AM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List