Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 25 Apr 19, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

Mobile Springtime in Paris and DLP part 1

Four of us flew out of Exeter to Paris CDG on 12th Apr, good flight of an hour. We got the train into Paris, think it was €10.30. We were staying for 2 nights near the Luxembourg Gardens which was great for us.

Having got a map from hotel, we decided to find the Seine, walk to the Louvre. We hadn't planned to go in, just soak up the architecture and views. Queues were quite long and it was very cold despite the sunshine, glad I had my gloves!
We walked through the gardens, lots of blossom and flowers
(oh and a few soldiers keeping us all safe). We were heading for the Eiffel Tower but stopped for a late lunch in a typical French bistro. Croque Monsieur and Orangina devoured, we then got to the Eiffel Tower. Again, security was tight, we went through scanners and stood underneath the centre of the Tower, such an amazing structure!
We then headed back to hotel via Les Invalides. Must of walked about 7 miles, luckily we found a lovely restaurant close by for dinner. I had a gorgeous Beef Bourginon followed by a delicious Creme Brulee.

Day 2 started by getting a Metro train €1.90, as were having breakfast at the Montparnesse Tower. We pre booked it, and you whizz up to the 56th floor, giving fantastic views over the city. We all had the set €15 continental breakfast which was delicious. We then had to go back down to then buy a ticket to the viewing area on the roof. It was a bit hazy but certainly great views as you're higher than the Eiffel Tower.
We decided then to walk towards Notre Dame. We found the most amazing street market full of locals. There were fruit and veg stalls, cheese, meat fish, sea food, bread stalls. Linen, clothing, gadgets and flowers too, such a treat! After much browsing, bit of tasting, we carried on towards Notre Dame via Luxembourg Gardens. We stopped off at a patisserie for baguettes and cakes which we ate in the gardens, sheltered from the cold wind. Food was delicious and quite reasonable and very popular! The gardens were quite large and a lovely place to explore. Being Saturday, we came across a place giving pony rides and a pond with pond yachts sailing at speed! It was great to watch the yachts, plenty of seats everywhere.
As we were close to our hotel, we dropped off our purchases from Montparnasse gift shop (lovely assortment, reasonably priced).
A quick drink and we changed our minds and took a train to the Arc de Triumphe area! We were told we'd have to get off the train 1 stop early as the Yellow Vest protesters were in that area. We got there to find no protesters but huge numbers of police, a water canon tank and about 40 police vans lined up in the Champs Elysee, quite a sight really. We walked down towards the river Seine, along past the Louvre again and finally got to Notre Dame. Again, long queues and lots of security everywhere. We walked around, took loads of photos, little knowing the events 2 days later!
On the way back to hotel, we found a supermarket for breakfast supplies, fruit, snacks plus wine.
Dinner was at another local restaurant, good food again. Interesting to note that a glass of wine is cheaper than a soft drink!

Day 3 was a trip by Metro to the Sacre Coeur, again €1.90. Found it quite easily, just head up hill. It was very busy, but we joined the queue however next thing we knew was the Clergy and Nuns appearing with their palms and branches! Realising it was Palm Sunday, the queue disappeared replaced by another line to go into Mass. We decided to walk around the exterior and found a couple police horses much to the delight of my horse riding friend.

Mon Martre beckoned next, very touristy with the artists asking to draw people. Some of the art work was lovely, but we weren't tempted.
Walking down the hill towards the Moulin Rouge was next, after a quick coffee and cake stop at a patisserie. The windmill was smaller than I expected, but another sight ticked off the list.
We took another metro train to near the Pompidou Centre, a huge colourful place, then walked back to hotel via Notre Dame. We watched the marathon runners staggering (early afternoon) alongside the Seine, gave the British person a cheer.
Got back to the hotel and collected our cases and then headed back to the Metro to catch the RER train to Disneyland, yippee 😁

Overall, Paris is a great city to visit. You don't have to spend a fortune. If you haven't been there before, then I'd prebook one or two of the sights as the queues were long. We were happy not to pay as some of us had visited them before.
Trains were cheap and easy to use. Didn't see any buskers or pickpockets as on previous visits. We did however see young people with clipboards approaching us and other people but we brushed them off, obviously being conscientious that they could be trouble. Security was everywhere and at a high level, so we felt safe.
We also averaged about 10 miles a day, great exercise.

Part 2, Disneyland to follow...
Mrs Red C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 19, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

We are off to DLP in a few weeks. We can’t squeeze in a stop over in central Paris this time, but your trip has inspired me to do a proper city break. I’ve not visited Paris itself for around 15 years, so a return is long overdue.
My dd was on a school trip a few weeks ago. She loved Montparnasse tower and they performed in Luxembourg Gardens.
You make getting around sound very straightforward. Looking forward to the next instalment.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 19, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

Thanks Animagus, glad you enoyed the report. I hadn't been to Paris for over 15 years so I'm pleased to have gone back. What a co incidence that your DD had recently been to both places!

We walked about 10 miles each day quite easily either using a map or with mobile phone. The only thing I would say is that if you are using a mobile phone to get about, then take a powerbank with you as the battery drains fairly quickly.
Mrs Red C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Sounds like a perfect few days in Paris
DCL: '14 Disney Magic.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank for reading, yes it was a great trip. 😀