Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 11 Feb 20, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
New York hotels

I am on the verge of booking for next January, has anyone stayed at the following hotels

Doubletree Hilton Times Square west
Hotel mela Times Square
Riu plaza
Intercontinental Times Square

The last one is the most expensive and the first 2 the cheapest but the plaza does include breakfast which is the way I am leaning at the minute but would welcome any input if anyone has stayed at any of them?
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
salmon70
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi there it's our first trip in July and we are staying at the Intercontinental Times Square and we have a continental breakfast included. You also get a $20 meal credit per day (between us), $10 drink credit and a $15 laundry credit. To be honest I don't think those credits will stretch anywhere near enough judging by people's reviews and we won't be doing any laundry. We were booked to stay at the Wyndham New Yorker but we just didnt feel 100% happy after seeing a few people's YouTube videos. Glad we've made the change though.
salmon70 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
I've not stayed in any of those - my stay last year was in The Parker (parkernewyork/home/) - which is a lovely hotel.

However, I'd say to not be swayed by the inclusion of a "free" breakfast. One of the delights of being in New York is stopping in a diner or similar for a bite to eat and if you had an included breakfast at your hotel, you'd be unlikely to do that.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
I've not stayed in any of those - my stay last year was in The Parker (parkernewyork/home/) - which is a lovely hotel.

However, I'd say to not be swayed by the inclusion of a "free" breakfast. One of the delights of being in New York is stopping in a diner or similar for a bite to eat and if you had an included breakfast at your hotel, you'd be unlikely to do that.
^^^ Agreed.

Our hotel in December had free breakfast. We didn't use it once. It was crowded, impossible to get a table, and the food would not have been as good as we got by going out.

Plenty of diners and they are part of the experience. And if you want cheap, there are plenty of food carts selling bagels etc.
Old 11 Feb 20, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

I have stayed at the Riu Plaza, although it was a few years ago now when it first opened. Its in a great location and is a lovely hotel. We had a corner suite and the views from it were amazing. i think there are a few dibber that have stayed there.
Our favourite hotel on Times Square is the Knickerboker. Its absolutely beautiful.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

We stayed in a hotel called the Metro, its a 5 minute walk from Times square - its roof top terrace overlooks the Empire State Building, it includes breakfast and at 5pm they have free wine. The breakfast was very good, continental = rolls, pastries, yoghurt, fruit. Plentiful, lots of choice and lots of room, it set us up lovely for a wintery start to site seeing (we stayed in February 20216)
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Stayed in Shelburne in December and was clean with good sized rooms. Glad we hadn’t paid for breakfast as we’re out at 0730 most days and either went to a diner or grabbed a coffee and pastry at Grand Central station.
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Toolman
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We stayed at the RIU last March. We loved it. We wanted breakfast included as we went with my parents for dad's 80th birthday and didn't want to be walking about trying to decide where to have breakfast. It set us up for the day and meant we could head off to sightsee. The hop on hop off bus stops right across the street and Times Square is just around the corner. We would stay there again.
Mrs Toolman is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Nellie75
Having Dinner with Goofy

Originally Posted by Mrs Toolman View Post
We stayed at the RIU last March. We loved it. We wanted breakfast included as we went with my parents for dad's 80th birthday and didn't want to be walking about trying to decide where to have breakfast. It set us up for the day and meant we could head off to sightsee. The hop on hop off bus stops right across the street and Times Square is just around the corner. We would stay there again.
We are staying at the Riu Plaza on Saturday and can't wait. It's our first visit so can't really comment, however my friend has stayed here twice and highly recommends it for location and comfort. Yes we have breakfast included which for 5 us should keep the costs down for eating!
Nellie75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 20, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Thanks everyone, we booked the Riu Plaza!
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List