Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 17 Nov 19, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
As well as times changing prices also go up. The more expensive the meal is the higher the tip is. It's like when people complain about the price of park tickets compared to what they were 10 years ago. Prices go up. It's simple economics.
Yes prices do go up and to be expected, but years ago the tip % was, 12%, 15% 18%- then 15%, 18%, 20% now its 18%,20%, 22% pushing 25% in some places, with absolute no basis for the % to increase as the tip amount would naturally increase with menus price increased.

That's not simple economics that just plain greed.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Chilli-pepper View Post
Yes prices do go up and to be expected, but years ago the tip % was, 12%, 15% 18%- then 15%, 18%, 20% now its 18%,20%, 22% pushing 25% in some places, with absolute no basis for the % to increase as the tip amount would naturally increase with menus price increased.

This is our gripe too - not the increasing cost of meals, and therefore tips, which cant be helped - but the fact that the % has increased, which can only be greed.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
jocesk
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Chilli-pepper View Post

Exactly i remember back when it was 8%! People are blindly paying the recommended amounts because they believe it the "culture" or that servers wont get paid...even if we all tipped 10% they would still make good money on their prices.
jocesk is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

I have found this debate really interesting... Not often I soften my stance off a debate but I think this one has.

Think I am going along with the general opinion that Disney restaurants expecting such high tips at 18% - 20% when the menu prices are so inflated is pushing it. I am doing deluxe dining plan next time and I think I might set my normal tip for good service back down to 15% instead of 18% (which was always my norm until I started doing Disney World).

I still think "poor" service should be judged on a sliding scale and not the binary of full tip or no tip which was pretty much suggested by a few. I mean personally for me it would have to be really bad to get to 10% and pretty dam awful for 5%. I doubt I would make it through the meal if we was hitting 5%!
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
I have found this debate really interesting... Not often I soften my stance off a debate but I think this one has.

Think I am going along with the general opinion that Disney restaurants expecting such high tips at 18% - 20% when the menu prices are so inflated is pushing it. I am doing deluxe dining plan next time and I think I might set my normal tip for good service back down to 15% instead of 18% (which was always my norm until I started doing Disney World).

I still think "poor" service should be judged on a sliding scale and not the binary of full tip or no tip which was pretty much suggested by a few. I mean personally for me it would have to be really bad to get to 10% and pretty dam awful for 5%. I doubt I would make it through the meal if we was hitting 5%!
We did it this year - roughly 15% and rounded it up or down to the nearest % - and if the service was exceptional it was higher.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
As well as times changing prices also go up. The more expensive the meal is the higher the tip is. It's like when people complain about the price of park tickets compared to what they were 10 years ago. Prices go up. It's simple economics.
Why?

What more does a server do in a $100 restaurant than a $50 restaurant?

When we were in Disney in May, tipped on what I believe was the amount deserved. All this talk about , if your can’t afford to tip go elsewhere is imho patronising. Either it’s a tip or it’s an obligatory service charge, if it’s the latter, wack in on the menu prices and don’t have tips, or pay your staff more
I tipped 12%- 15% in many. I paid the server in coral reef 18% because she was very good and the waiter in Tony’s MK got 20% and a well done via the manager as he was excellent. On the other hand at the Ale and Compass the server ended up with a dollar and a conversation with the manager. I had, inadvertently, put the original tip of 12% in the wrong section . He came storming back, threw the receipt on my table and demanded to know why I hadn’t tipped him. I asked for the manager, who spotted the mistake immediately, asked if I wanted to change it and I said yes, crossed it out and left a dollar with the explanation that a tip was “recommended” not a legal “obligation” and as a customer I had no intentions of being spoken to in that manner. Nothing more said and meal credited back to DDP.

I’m happy to tip anyone, but I don’t feel under any obligation to do so, and will not be forced or made to feel guilty about the amount but I would not , not leave a tip without a discussion with the manager

Edited at 03:52 PM.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Why?

When we were in Disney in May, tipped on what I believe was the amount deserved. All this talk about , if your can’t afford to tip go elsewhere is imho patronising. Either it’s a tip or it’s an obligatory service charge, if it’s the latter, wack in on the menu prices and don’t have tips, or pay your staff more
I tipped 12%- 15% in many. I paid the server in coral reef 18% because she was very good and the waiter in Tony’s MK got 20% and a well done via the manager as he was excellent. On the other hand at the Ale and Compass the server ended up with a dollar and a conversation with the manager. I had, inadvertently, put the original tip of 12% in the wrong section . He came storming back, threw the receipt on my table and demanded to know why I hadn’t tipped him. I asked for the manager, who spotted the mistake immediately, asked if I wanted to change it and I said yes, crossed it out and left a dollar with the explanation that a tip was “recommended” not a legal “obligation” and as a customer I had no intentions of being spoken to in that manner. Nothing more said and meal credited back to DDP.

I’m happy to tip anyone, but I don’t feel under any obligation to do so, and will not be forced or made to feel guilty about the amount but I would not , not leave a tip without a discussion with the manager
I am inclined to agree with you both in principle. I think 10-15% is reasonable and indeed maybe a flat tip (not based on meal cost) makes most sense. DH and I like a nice bottle of wine and it particularly irks that different varieties of wine can push up the suggested tip so much.

In practice, DH always settles the bill not me, I have just asked and he says he tends to go for the nearest "round number" by this he means the nearest £10 or £5 so long as it is over 10%. So perhaps quite similar to my 10-15%.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Why?

Ha ha. I ripped the Ale & Compass Podium Lady a new one last night as 3 times she used my surname. I told her to use my first name or call me Mr
She won’t forget me in a hurry.
We never actually ate there as I walked out
In fact we have ditched it 3 times this trip as there is always a 30+ min wait after the ADR time. I never wait

Edited at 04:44 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Ha ha. I ripped the Ale & Compass Podium Lady a new one last night as 3 times she used my surname. I told her to use my first name or call me Mr
She won’t forget me in a hurry.
We never actually ate there as I walked out
In fact we have ditched it 3 times this trip as there is always a 30+ min wait after the ADR time. I never wait
If we have gone to a restaurant podium and needed to give our name for a table it's always just the surname we give, then when the table is ready they will call out table for " surname " I might be wrong but I'm sure they haven't called out Mr prior to the surname , I just thought that was the way it was done and not them being disrespectful .
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lindaelaine View Post
If we have gone to a restaurant podium and needed to give our name for a table it's always just the surname we give, then when the table is ready they will call out table for " surname " I might be wrong but I'm sure they haven't called out Mr prior to the surname , I just thought that was the way it was done and not them being disrespectful .
In this day and age if you presume a gender you are done for
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List