Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Jan 20, 03:54 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

Hubby and I both have our Irish passports now. I should think the bit of cheeky humor in your post would be taken as intended by most people.

No, it hasn’t affected any of our travel plans. Car hire asks where you’re resident/where driving licence was issued so no change there. Have now given in my Irish passport as ID when renting a car, checking in to hotels, using my credit card and no issues.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 06:17 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

If one is entitled to apply for an Irish passport, it shouldn't mean any applicant is referred to as a hypocrite, rather one taking advantage of legislation.
Old 8 Jan 20, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
If one is entitled to apply for an Irish passport, it shouldn't mean any applicant is referred to as a hypocrite, rather one taking advantage of legislation.
If one voted for Brexit, is a Brexiteer, which means they want to leave The EU and then they apply for and get an Irish Passport, then yes that is being a hypocrite. Having an Irish Passport means that a person retains all the rights of an EU citizen, such as freedom of travel and the right to live in any European country.

It means that that want those rights for themseleves but don't want others to have them.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
MrFish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
If one voted for Brexit, is a Brexiteer, which means they want to leave The EU and then they apply for and get an Irish Passport, then yes that is being a hypocrite. Having an Irish Passport means that a person retains all the rights of an EU citizen, such as freedom of travel and the right to live in any European country.

It means that that want those rights for themseleves but don't want others to have them.
There are many reasons that a person might want to get an Irish passport that have nothing to do with the EU or Brexit.
MrFish is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post

I'm sorry but I can't agree with this point of view. My mother was born and brought up in Ireland and I have spent many happy summer holidays both there and in Germany with my German family. I am therefore entitled to Irish Citizenship. I haven't yet applied for my Irish passport but will do so this year so that there will be no barrier in the future to my free access to my family.

That is from an individual personal perspective, but from a UK perspective I do believe brexit is absolutely the right thing for the UK and I don't believe this at all hypocritical

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by chelsea1 View Post
I know that nearly half of the UK have secured Irish passports (even my Brexit loving friends - hypocrites lol).

My UK passport is about to expire and i am considering getting an Irish passport. My question is, and i already feel stupid for asking it is, as many of the services ie car hire, ticket providers etc insist on customers being UK residents, does having an Irish passport impact upon this? We live in the UK so i assume are technically UK residents?
No it’s doesn’t. Having an Irish passport makes you a Citizen of Ireland and a resident in the U.K. you can however have both passports, I do.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The application will be straightforward as i live in Northern Ireland. As i say in my post Car Rental Companies require you to indicate that you are resident in the UK and the same with the ticket providers i have looked at.
To add

I used my irish passport for my esta. And I live in Spain. All my florida reservations were made under my UK passport but I’m resident in Spain.

Resident and citizenship are two different things.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
chelsea1
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

Seriously guys - did you not notice the lol conclusion! Sorry for attempting a little sarcastic humour. Whilst I do have strong opinions about Brexit (along with most of the Country it appears) the Dibb is not a forum where I wish to debate these issues. Let’s get back to what this forum does best and help each other enjoy our trips to the greatest degree.
chelsea1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post

Seriously guys - did you not notice the lol conclusion! Sorry for attempting a little sarcastic humour. Whilst I do have strong opinions about Brexit (along with most of the Country it appears) the Dibb is not a forum where I wish to debate these issues. Let’s get back to what this forum does best and help each other enjoy our trips to the greatest degree.
So don't call people hypocrites then .. Putting a LOL on the end doesn't make it ok to call people names.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Being born and brought up in the UK and deeming the UK to be my home country of which I am Patriotic, I have no interest in falling back on ancestry to obtain a passport elsewhere.
That would be contrary to my personal moral compass, unless I actually planned to live in that other country.
Not that I’m passing judgment on anyone else, this is just my own view. I wouldn’t personally feel happy applying for an Irish passport simply to get EU access, as a Brexiteer myself. Of course it helps my compass that I have no interest in living in the EU.

Edited at 02:32 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List