Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Old 11 Jan 20, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

Euros? Cash or Card... ! ?

So, with 5 weeks to go until we head off for our first Disney adventure in nearly 7 years... my thoughts are now turning to spending money.

I can't decide what format to go with... whats people's thoughts on this?
I'm pondering a number of options and have ruled out one very specific option, so here's my current thoughts:
  • New bank account - Starling/Monzo bank are fee free
  • Cold hard cash - might peak at around 1.18 before we travel!
  • Travel money card - but which one... i've read soooo many bad reviews about almost all the ones I looked at.
  • Definitely ruled out a friends suggestion of just using debit card. The charges and fees are ridiculous with my bank.
  • I can't get a credit card so thats ruled out.

What do you think... ?
Old 11 Jan 20, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bondy007 View Post
So, with 5 weeks to go until we head off for our first Disney adventure in nearly 7 years... my thoughts are now turning to spending money.

I can't decide what format to go with... whats people's thoughts on this?
I'm pondering a number of options and have ruled out one very specific option, so here's my current thoughts:
  • New bank account - Starling/Monzo bank are fee free
  • Cold hard cash - might peak at around 1.18 before we travel!
  • Travel money card - but which one... i've read soooo many bad reviews about almost all the ones I looked at.
  • Definitely ruled out a friends suggestion of just using debit card. The charges and fees are ridiculous with my bank.
  • I can't get a credit card so thats ruled out.

What do you think... ?
Monzo (which is great) and a bit of cash(don’t forget you can withdraw cash on Monzo if you really find you need cash). We have just come back and we hardly needed any
Have a great time
Old 11 Jan 20, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

Brilliant. I'm glad the first response was about Monzo as I really quite like the look of it. Cheers Tweety.
Old 11 Jan 20, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
dipsydoodle
Excited about Disney

We used Starling for the first time in florida in November and struggled with it - not sure whether it was just me but I literally was only able to get it to work once in Starbucks Every other transaction didn't work - I had gone into card management and made sure every single box was ticked to allow, I tried chip and pin and just swiping but nothing worked it was more than embarrassing. It worked fine in this country and brilliantly for online spending but a miserable fail for everything else. We also used revolut for the first time and thought it worked brilliantly used it everywhere. The app is great and allows you to lock the card when not is use. Set it up to transfer from my bank account so was able to top it up daily (didn't want too much on there in case I lost it) You get a notification each time it is used so easy to keep track of spending. We used our clarity as credit card and revolut as our debit/cash card and worked fine for us. If you decide to go with revolut their is usually an free sign up offer available for around £10 and then if you refer someone else you both get £10 so worth while all members of party have their own - you can never have enough free money

dipsydoodle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 20, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bondy007 View Post
Brilliant. I'm glad the first response was about Monzo as I really quite like the look of it. Cheers Tweety.
I’ve used it for awhile it’s brilliant... no issues at all

Edited at 05:09 PM.
Tweety1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 20, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Mobile

We used cash for our taxi transfer and a bit in our pocket plus our Halifax clarity card, the clarity card has worked all over the world for us without issue (even Japanese ATM's)
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 20, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
I didn’t take any cash on my last trip in November - used my Starling card everywhere with no charges and no issues 😊

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List