Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Jan 20, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Do you get involved with family/friends who are playing an Orlando trip?

* Title should say planning!

Just wondering if what you do when friends/family/coworkers share their plan and it’s a terrible one in your opinion as a Florida regular. Lol.

Do you step in and offer advice? Leave them to it? How do you help without getting too involved?

My cousin called me last night as he knows we’ve been to Florida many times. He and his wife and 2 young adult children (19 and 21) want to go for the first time. They told me they will do 7 days max and they want to do NYC also in that time frame. They think 3 days is enough for Florida or they’ll get bored 😱

Needless to say I think it’s way too much for 7 days and I think they haven’t done any research really. At the same time they are 4 adults and I don’t want to overstep or offend by saying what I’m thinking which is “That’s a terrible plan! You’ll be tired, underprepared and will need a holiday when you get home”

How do you guys strike the balance of helping without offending or getting invested in someone else’s plan? It will be their first big holiday (they usually do a camp site in France) and maybe last so I don’t want to put them off but don’t want them to come back and say they hated it either which is a strong possibility if they go with their current mad dash plan 🤔
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
scouser
Imagineer

I never get involved because everyones idea of a holiday is different, however if they ask me about places to buy tickets or a hotel they like I would offer any insight I have.
Old 22 Jan 20, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Mobile

I would just say that there is a lot to do in 7 days for a first timer and from your experience they might enjoy a longer experience and to do further research so they can decide what is right for them ...if they are doing disney provide highlights of things they might be interested in and how FPs work... my husbands cousin went last year and we provided help and info (just wrote a list of things that may help them ) they appreciated it but we didn't get properly involved in the exact planning x
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

I only get involved if asked, otherwise I keep my mouth closed 😁

For those that ask though, I try and give the pros and cons of their plan so that they can make a decision on what will work for them.

Just because something is right for us doesn’t mean it works for everyone.

Eg. We happily go for a week and I find so many people say they wouldn’t go that far for a week, and that we must feel the trip is rushed. We love going for a week and don’t plan too much in so it still feels like a great trip to us. Not sure I’d manage Florida and NY in a week though, but who knows, it might work.

Edited at 05:44 PM.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
If someone tells me they are thinking of planning a holiday to Florida, I tell them about the Dibb and how much it has helped me plan and prepare for our holidays. It's then up to them to do the research. If they ask for help or advice, of course I will give it - nothing I like talking about more
Old 22 Jan 20, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

That’s a good idea to give a list of pros and cons. They have asked me what I think and where they should stay but they’ve done so little research themselves. I didn’t even get a straight answer when I asked what Parks they wanted to do in the 3 days. I think a list of pros/cons of a multi destination week holiday and some info on areas and my recommendations and then leave them to it might be best.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
MrFish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Never get involved and never stay in the same villa!
MrFish is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I only offer advice when invited.

If invited, then I always clarify where the boundaries of any advice lie.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi I think a great idea is getting them on the did a ask us all a few ? They will soon get the info needed and you don’t get involved.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

Only give advice if asked. But I would casually say, for me with all that Orlando has to offer for a first timer it wouldn't be long enough. Looks like they could be going again next year!
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List