Old 23 Feb 20, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
rafjen
Apprentice Imagineer

rafjen's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Sneaky bonus 6 nights at Universal Feb 2020- Day 4- Volcano Bay and Mardi Gras

Today the weather was dry and predicted at 30 degrees- so Volcano Bay was calling.
We had early assess so aimed to be there for 9am to take full advantage. We planned to get to the shuttle at 8.30. Last time we stayed at HRH ( albeit in Aug) the shuttle queue was long and then also stopped at Portfolio so took quite a while.

The kids were getting better at sleeping later so I think we woke about 6ish- we had croissants and cereal in the room and got to the shuttle stop by 8.25. All very easy. There was a bus waiting that left as soon as we got on - no stops and RPR is actually very close to Volcano Bay so we were at the park just after 8.35.

Security opened as we arrive and we were the third family at the gates. Maybe we were a little too keen today. We chatted to the staff and were told they were filming so no beach assess until 10-11ish. No prob we were blitzing the rides first.

They let us in at 9 exactly and we wandered right to find some beds. We passed MTV filming but didn't recognize anyone. A lot of the beds were blocked off due to filming but we got some great ones between the right edge of the beech and an entrance to the lazy river, right by the reef pool.

We have a portable safe so stuck our valuables in this secured it and off we went. The main issue with Volcano bay is our 4 year old is too small for all slides. TL and BB have a few he can do but Volcano Bay seems to aim at more extreme rides. I took him to the kids area while the others went to the Aqua coaster.

The kids area was empty but he loved it. The others managed the aqua coaster twice then both the Moana slides. We then swapped and I took the older two on the the aqua coaster. This was fab as always. We then went to the Hona Moana slide- by now there was a 10-15 queue. Then we seemed to stall. It was down so they let us queue for the other side but after another 10 min we were sent back down as they closed both. All those steps for nothing.

We decided to try Taniwha Tubes- these were a first for us. 4 different slides but only 2 opened. We waited 5-10 min each here. Tapu Tapu still hadn't been needed though. These were great fun. We definitely prefer the rafts slides over the body slides . Another quick child swap so my husband could try these.

It was about 11 am now and we needed a break. We got some drinks and a portion of fries- which were really well seasoned. All this did though was make us more hungry. We decided to have a go on the lazy river before lunch. Great fun and not too busy but after 2 full loops we were hungry.

We decided on the Whakawaiwai Eats- it was close by and had the best range of food- pizza, burgers chicken. We did try mobile order but it only had some of the menu options. So 3 separate queues were needed due to everyone wanting different things. We got a pizza and 2 sides of fries for the kids to share, a bacon cheese burger, beer and a tropical chicken burger. The chicken burger was completely covered with salsa, it tasted odd and had a funny texture. I soon realized I had the fish burger- it didn't taste bad but didn't have much flavour at all. They exchanged this without any issues thankfully. We enjoyed the food and would happily eat here again- the bacon cheese burger was probably the only let down. I find these queues with multiple lines hard work with kids- lets hope mobile order will have the full menu next time.

We stopped for a few (or 30) photos at the photopass spot in front of the Volcano/beach - you scan your band and it takes your photo. The kids loved this and we had a private photo shoot as no one was waiting.

We had a play in the reef pool by our beds to let the food settle- this has some interactive features which the kids loved- water squirting etc. It was such a lovely chilled day so far. We decided to brave the waves and then the lazy river again. All good fun. The kids love the lazy river but we are out numbered 2 to 3 so I find it a little stressful making sure the kids are safe and we all stay together.

The day was marching on - we decided against more slides- the queues weren't terrible but they certainly weren't walk ons. The only slide needing Tapu Tapu that we noticed was the water Coaster(1 hr wait) but we didn't venture to the left side of the park at all.

The kids wanted to try the faster river so we did our own child swap again as our 4 year old wasn't able to ride this. Unfortunately the main area of the kids area was shut for cleaning - (I think some one vomited) but he was happy in the baby/toddler area which was open to everyone at this point.

We left at this point- about 3pm -as we wanted to head to the parks later. This was a brilliant day but I think we were starting to need a break from the sun.

No issues getting back at all- another bus was waiting for us. We had some quick showers and got ready to go back out. I think we were out about 4.30pm, so not a bad turn around. We took the boat and headed to IOA. The boat continues to be a highlight of the delux resorts for me. The walk is pleasant and short but the boat is so peaceful I love it.

We had plans for Mardi Gras tonight. We bought the annual pass Lanyard- $60 for 15 items. $4 an item was great value as most were $6-7 so this was a great deal. We grabbed a bench and started eating.

Between us we tried:
Gator bites- we all enjoyed these
Grilled Pineapple Trini-Chow - good but a bit spicy for the kids
Chickpea Double (served on spicy bara flatbread with cilantro and mango chutney)- nice but wouldn't rush to get again
Beignets- nice enough but small for the price POFQs are much bigger and much better
King Cake- Yummy we all loved this
Jambalaya- Husband loved this too spicy for the rest of us
Chicken & Andouille Po’ Boy- this was good too
Twisted Tater - 1 salt and vinegar- one lightly salted- kids loved these but the vinegar was a bit too strong
Purple Haze beer 9 ounce sampler- a hit with hubby
Andy Gator beer 9 ounce sampler- a hit with hubby

High Seas Twister (kinda like a rum punch)- not on the lanyard but yummy

We got ID a few times here ( seemed random) and only one alcoholic drink per person present. We hadn't got our IDs but went back later and got served. Husband couldn't get both of us a drink and carry it to the bench I had to be physically beside him. Given we are talking about 9 ounce samplers but you can order a pint it seems completely daft.

The kids wanted to watch the parade tonight (having been on the float previously) so we grabbed a spot near the end and collected more beads. Tonight it was on later and was dark and the atmosphere was better tonight. Despite it being my second time we really enjoyed it. The music was great too.

We jumped on Transformers and Jimmy Fallon. Jimmy Fallon got mixed reviews from the kids, its not a must do for us but nice to tick it off. By now it was 7.45 so we headed out with a quick stop to meet the minions. No queue at all so we had some time here. They meet at the end of the ride but you can go in through the shop as we were too tired to do the ride.

The younger 2 kids were tired so I waited with them on a boat despite a longish queue. Husband and older son walked and got back 10-15 minutes before us. However our boat driver conducted a bit of a sing along and the atmosphere was great so no regrets.

Today was one of the best days, it felt very relaxed despite being a long day. The weather was perfect. We also have our body weight in beads

Link to Index https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1161617

Index

Edited at 02:55 PM.
rafjen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

Fantastic day and so much done too!
Old 24 Feb 20, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Another great day once again you did lots

Joan
Old 24 Feb 20, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Great day, we've never been to a water park on our Florida trips but its definately (probably!) on for next time round.
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
rafjen
Apprentice Imagineer

rafjen's Reviews
We usually only manage a morning at a water park then head to the parks later- I think because it was in Feb the sun was more pleasant than August so we managed a lot longer.
rafjen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Jules32
slightly serious Dibber

Jules32's Reviews
Fab day the food is making my mouth water, I love trying new things
Cabana bay 2024
DCA OCT 23
Jules32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
rafjen
Apprentice Imagineer

rafjen's Reviews
Mardi Gras was a big hit with us. I hope we get back at this time of year again. If we were there another few days we would have got a second lanyard.
Old 1 Mar 20, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
We were riding on the floats while you were watching, we were on Atlantis. The parades were so much fun. Glad you got the opportunity to ride and watch, we did too.