Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Feb 20, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
LozSteelers
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile ESTA - Booking as a surprise

Been searching and can’t find an answer to this.

I’m booking a surprise US trip for a friends birthday, I already have my own valid ESTA but need to apply for hers without her knowing.

I have all the details for the ESTA itself, however, in the email address field, can I put my own or does it have to be hers? I don’t want her to receive an email saying she has applied for an ESTA as it will ruin the surprise!

If I can use my own email address, does it have to be a different one to the one I used to apply for my own ESTA?
LozSteelers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Mobile

As lovely as your intentions are I am going to guess booking an ESTA without someone’s knowledge is illegal due to what you agree to in the terms and conditions at the end. It’s quite intrusive to do that behind someone’s back though I know it is in kindness. At what point are you unveiling the surprise? Can you think of a way of getting her to do an ESTA as a guise for something else but where she is knowingly applying for it?
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Lou1982
VIP Dibber

Lou1982's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 22
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
You can use your own email address and it doesn’t have to be a different one from the one you used on your own application. I did all the ESTAs for our group and used my own email address each time with no problems
Lou1982 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes it’s definitely possible, but whether it’s legal and moral is another matter, especially as an unrelated person.
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

You need to know

Where she works (or last employers name)

Employers address

Work phone number

Names of parents

Passport number

Issue date

Expiry date

City of birth

Good luck

Plus you have to confirm that you have given her the terms of entry disclaimer at the start of the process. I believe you need her permission for this before you proceed.

Disney32

Edited at 09:27 AM.
disney332 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

you have to confirm that you have that person's permission to file the ESTA on their behalf

if you don't have their permission, then you will make a false declaration. (which could end up in voiding your ESTA and theirs ... and send you down the visa way ...)

You would probably get away with this though, as no immigration officer would question someone travelling with you if they gave permission to get the esta they are travelling on ...

but if in a not foreseeable future, things were to turn sour with your friend (sometimes does, unfortunately) you could get in a whole lot of trouble if they decide to use that false declaration against you

you may also get in personal trouble with that friend, when they discover that you have filed offical documents, without them knowing. That would not only ruin a surprise, that could ruind a friendship...

I know that, even if it were for a surprise, I would get quite upset at a friend dealing with official papers behind my back.

Imagine that it's like trying and obtain ID papers for another person, in order for you to do things on their behalf, without them knowing

That's basically identity theft, even if I understand and totally accept it's not your intention

so, my answer is : don't do that, please.

Edited at 09:42 AM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

I'm with the others and wouldn't do it for the reasons mentioned. Also there's the cost of the trip. You say it's a surprise birthday trip for her, so will you be paying for her or will you expect her to? If you expect her to she may not want to go/be able to afford it.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
BobFish123
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Mobile

You’ll be fine and doing a good thing for someone!

See the below extract from the ESTA Website... As long as the info is true and correct!

Extract:

All information provided by you, or on your behalf by a designated third party, must be true and correct. An electronic travel authorization may be revoked at any time and for any reason, such as new information influencing eligibility. You may be subject to administrative or criminal penalties if you knowingly and willfully make a materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation in an electronic travel authorization application submitted by you or on your behalf
BobFish123 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
BobFish123

Mobile

Originally Posted by GoldenAvalanche View Post
As lovely as your intentions are I am going to guess booking an ESTA without someone’s knowledge is illegal due to what you agree to in the terms and conditions at the end. It’s quite intrusive to do that behind someone’s back though I know it is in kindness. At what point are you unveiling the surprise? Can you think of a way of getting her to do an ESTA as a guise for something else but where she is knowingly applying for it?
Doesn’t state anywhere that it is illegal to submit an ESTA, you just have to make sure the info is true and correct
BobFish123 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
BobFish123

Mobile

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
you have to confirm that you have that person's permission to file the ESTA on their behalf

if you don't have their permission, then you will make a false declaration. (which could end up in voiding your ESTA and theirs ... and send you down the visa way ...)

You would probably get away with this though, as no immigration officer would question someone travelling with you if they gave permission to get the esta they are travelling on ...

but if in a not foreseeable future, things were to turn sour with your friend (sometimes does, unfortunately) you could get in a whole lot of trouble if they decide to use that false declaration against you

you may also get in personal trouble with that friend, when they discover that you have filed offical documents, without them knowing. That would not only ruin a surprise, that could ruind a friendship...

I know that, even if it were for a surprise, I would get quite upset at a friend dealing with official papers behind my back.

Imagine that it's like trying and obtain ID papers for another person, in order for you to do things on their behalf, without them knowing

That's basically identity theft, even if I understand and totally accept it's not your intention

so, my answer is : don't do that, please.

A tad dramatic lol, it doesn’t state in the declaration that you need someone’s permission, the information just has to be correct