Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 May 19, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moodyblue View Post
Hi, did you do Disney Sea from Tokyo? I am planning for Spring 2021 (to see the blossoms) but want to do Disney Sea. Just trying to work out if it’s doable from Tokyo or if I should add on a couple of days at the park hotel. Thanks!
Yes we went from Tokyo and it didn’t take that long either. We took the Yamanote line from Shinagawa to Tokyo Station (10 mins?) then caught the train to the Disney station called Maihama. Once you get there you go on the Disney monorail to either Disney Sea or Tokyo Disney. It sounds way more complicated than it actually is. I think overall it took us around 45 mins.

Depending where you stay you will be different but if you aim for Tokyo Station you will be fine.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Isn’t Japan fab ? So much to see, and easy enough. I did an organised coach trip a few years ago and saw quite a few more remote or costal areas where there were no stations. I didn’t do Disney - it wasn’t on the itinerary although we had a couple of free days in Tokyo so I could have fitted it in.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Moodyblue
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
Yes we went from Tokyo and it didn’t take that long either. We took the Yamanote line from Shinagawa to Tokyo Station (10 mins?) then caught the train to the Disney station called Maihama. Once you get there you go on the Disney monorail to either Disney Sea or Tokyo Disney. It sounds way more complicated than it actually is. I think overall it took us around 45 mins.

Depending where you stay you will be different but if you aim for Tokyo Station you will be fine.
Thank you, that’s really helpful!
Old 30 May 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Laughing Minnie View Post
Thanks for posting this. We are going to Japan for 8 nights in December for a split stay for Kyoto and Tokyo. We can’t decide where to stay in Kyoto, can I ask where you stayed? Thanks
We stayed at the Kyoto Century Hotel which was next to Kyoto Station. The location was great for us as we were doing so many day trips from there but to be honest the room was a bit disappointing and small compared to our Tokyo hotel which was great. I would probably try a different hotel if we go back to Kyoto although the staff were excellent and very helpful.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
Isn’t Japan fab ? So much to see, and easy enough. I did an organised coach trip a few years ago and saw quite a few more remote or costal areas where there were no stations. I didn’t do Disney - it wasn’t on the itinerary although we had a couple of free days in Tokyo so I could have fitted it in.
I loved it and although we did a lot there is still so much to see. We will have to go back!
Old 30 May 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Laughing Minnie
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We stayed at the Kyoto Century Hotel which was next to Kyoto Station. The location was great for us as we were doing so many day trips from there but to be honest the room was a bit disappointing and small compared to our Tokyo hotel which was great. I would probably try a different hotel if we go back to Kyoto although the staff were excellent and very helpful.
Thanks, that is helpful. The Kyoto Century hotel is one that we were looking at, so it is great to get feedback on it. Sounds like you had a fab trip
Laughing Minnie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs_Taz
VIP Dibber

Thank you for this, our trip is very close now and I must admit the language barrier was starting to worry me so it reassuring to read your experiences.

Can I ask the name of the temple with the market in Kyoto and I'm intrigued what the unusual things were you bought

Thanks

Louise
Don’t worry about the language barrier - most people we came across had some knowledge of English but even when they don’t it is amazing how much communication can be done with hands and nodding. My husband was laughing watching me “talking” to people on the busses in Kyoto.

The temple is called Toji Temple and the market is on the 21st of each month. There is also another one on the 15th of the month which I read has more handmade items which I would have liked to have gone to. Depending when you are there I think other temples have markets too.

I bought hand printed fabric, a handmade purse, lots of scraps of leather which had handmade printed on them (I will use them on my sewing). Pin cushions and some second hand bits and pieces like little pots. There are loads of second hand kimono stalls but I thought they smelt musty so didn’t buy one although I had planned to for using the fabric. I also bought Japanese wooden dolls (only the largest one in the photo was bought at the market

[/QUOTE]

I love the dolls I will look out for some while we are there. Unfortunately we are only in Kyoto for one day on 5th so looks like we will miss the markets.

Thanks

Louise
Old 30 May 19, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mrs_Taz View Post
Don’t worry about the language barrier - most people we came across had some knowledge of English but even when they don’t it is amazing how much communication can be done with hands and nodding. My husband was laughing watching me “talking” to people on the busses in Kyoto.

The temple is called Toji Temple and the market is on the 21st of each month. There is also another one on the 15th of the month which I read has more handmade items which I would have liked to have gone to. Depending when you are there I think other temples have markets too.

I bought hand printed fabric, a handmade purse, lots of scraps of leather which had handmade printed on them (I will use them on my sewing). Pin cushions and some second hand bits and pieces like little pots. There are loads of second hand kimono stalls but I thought they smelt musty so didn’t buy one although I had planned to for using the fabric. I also bought Japanese wooden dolls (only the largest one in the photo was bought at the market

I love the dolls I will look out for some while we are there. Unfortunately we are only in Kyoto for one day on 5th so looks like we will miss the markets.

Thanks

Louise[/QUOTE]
The other two dolls were bought in a little second hand shop in Nara. The smallest was only 100 yen and the other 500 yen which I thought was cheap. It was just luck I spotted them on our way to a temple.
Old 31 May 19, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Alidoll
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Your trip sounds amazing. I’m hoping to go to Japan in 2021 (flying from Edinburgh as well). My daughter will be 11 by then so a trip to Disneysea and Disneyland is definitely on the cards along with Kyoto, Osaka, Hakone and Hiroshima. Did you fly into Narita or Haneda and where about in Tokyo did you stay? Did you use a luggage forwarding company between the cities or just carry your suitcases on the train? Can I ask what size suitcases you used as I’ve been recommended to take medium ones but have a feeling I’d never get everything I plan to buy into one if I did!

Thanks
Alidoll is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Following along - research for a future trip!
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List