Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Jul 19, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Secondary school teachers... Help please

My daughter starts at secondary school on Monday for two weeks transition, we got her timetable through post this morning and we think she has some assessments over the fortnight one says puma one is pira, I've had a bit of a Google and lilly thinks she's done assessments before with those names one reading one maths, but as she's worrying about them I wonder if any of you teachers out there can shed a bit of light on what she's to expect, daughter has autism and is already in a state without worrying about assessments, forewarned is forearmed with my girl and it does help her cope more if she knows what roughly to expect. Thank you xx
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Mobile

I thought the puma(maths) and pira (reading) were mainly used in primary to test termly progress. I thought CATS were still used by secondaries to assess cognitive ability.

Basically reassure her that none of them need studying for it’s just so secondaries have an understanding of where pupils are so that if they had a bad day for SATs they have a clearer understanding.
Old 6 Jul 19, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
I thought the puma(maths) and pira (reading) were mainly used in primary to test termly progress. I thought CATS were still used by secondaries to assess cognitive ability.

Basically reassure her that none of them need studying for it’s just so secondaries have an understanding of where pupils are so that if they had a bad day for SATs they have a clearer understanding.
Definately says puma and pira on her timetable, she hasn't even had her SATs results yet we get those Thursday but I think she will have done okay with those 🤞🤞🤞, she does well in tests usually but that still doesn't stop her worrying about them, it's fear of unknown but if I tell her maybe they will be similar to the ones she did in juniors it might help her, I knew she had assessments regularly at her old school it's just I didn't know the names of them, luckily she did with sounds of it, thank you your reply was very helpful 😊
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishlass89
Very Serious Dibber

I don’t know those specific tests as I’m in Scotland and we have a different curriculum. Up here we will usually assess pupils understanding when they first start (as we only have 2 days transition and don’t have them split into their classes at that point in maths). This is just to check that the information we have received from primary is accurate, up to date and all primaries have assessed to the same standard. It’s not about seeing how good a pupil is and judging them but ensuring that we have the pupil in the correct level of class to ensure they are working at the correct level and speed to enable them to achieve the best they can.
scottishlass89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by scottishlass89 View Post
I don’t know those specific tests as I’m in Scotland and we have a different curriculum. Up here we will usually assess pupils understanding when they first start (as we only have 2 days transition and don’t have them split into their classes at that point in maths). This is just to check that the information we have received from primary is accurate, up to date and all primaries have assessed to the same standard. It’s not about seeing how good a pupil is and judging them but ensuring that we have the pupil in the correct level of class to ensure they are working at the correct level and speed to enable them to achieve the best they can.
Thank you, again very helpful x
Old 7 Jul 19, 06:44 AM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Cant advise on tests, but my DS had the opportunity of a weeks transition ( they pick who they feel will benefit and it’s first week of summer holidays ) he had a great week brought me to tears just seeing his progress that week and it gives them a great head start on the school, knowing teachers, the lay out etc... I hope your DD has a great couple of weeks

Edited at 01:28 PM.
evergreen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 06:57 AM  
Link to this Post
disney20042012
Imagineer

Puma and Pira are standardised tests use in primary. Schools use them to test childrens ability and predict their future performance. They may use them and SATs results to set the children. Tell her not to worry, even if she performs badly the schools tend to move students around once the new teachers get to know their ability. If you have any concerns about form/tutor groups then contact the school and ask if she can be placed with certain friends. Having said that the school will probably use the transition days as a way of helping students to make new friends, lots of ice breaker/ team tasks etc.
Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Saratoga Treehouse, Beach Club, Coronado Springs Resort, Hard Rock Hotel, Royal Pacific Resort, Endless Summer Dockside, Pop Century, Polynesian Resort, Disneyland Villa's, Aulani
disney20042012 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
Cant advise on tests, but my DS has the opportunity of a weeks transition ( they pick who they feel will benefit and it’s first week of summer holidays ) he had a great week brought me to tears just seeing his progress that week and it gives them a great head start on the school, knowing teachers, the lay out etc... I hope your DD has a great couple of weeks
Got to say I am really impressed so far with how her new school are supporting her which in turn helps us too. It's a whole school thing everyone going to that school finished their junior schools on friday, she's had smaller group visits over last month or so to familiarise herself with layout the school has quite a few blocks to move round and also to learn where things like toilets, water bottle stations, canteen etc etc is. We had a parents meeting on Thursday where we had a talk then spent 40 minutes or so with her new form tutor, he seemed nice enough and explained to us all how things work and what to expect next two weeks. I spoke to him afterwards and mentioned her autism and he was already aware and had read through her action plan... As a worrier I was impressed with this, we've spoken at length with our daughter about things, some she's overjoyed with... She's a drama fan and her form tutors one of the drama teachers and her form room is drama studio... This went down well lol, we've also had lots of tears mainly Friday night but think a lot of that is one door closing as another bigger one is about to open and I'm sure a lot of others are the same. The timetable coming through post yesterday really helped calm her down, her new school backpack is packed ready for her first day and after I spoke to her this morning about what these tests usually involve she's understood and even said I hope today goes fast so tomorrow's here... I hope that's really how she feels. Thanks for replying your post really helped me feel better and I'm sorry for waffling... Must be the effects of first coffee of the day lol xx
Old 7 Jul 19, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by disney20042012 View Post
Puma and Pira are standardised tests use in primary. Schools use them to test childrens ability and predict their future performance. They may use them and SATs results to set the children. Tell her not to worry, even if she performs badly the schools tend to move students around once the new teachers get to know their ability. If you have any concerns about form/tutor groups then contact the school and ask if she can be placed with certain friends. Having said that the school will probably use the transition days as a way of helping students to make new friends, lots of ice breaker/ team tasks etc.
That's exactly how the two weeks are working, she is fine about her class so for, there are 5 children including her from her previous school in that form who she knows well. They will do all lessons as that form moving around the school and getting to know each other and also have a full day of team building scheduled in the second week which she's looking forward too. It's the tests she worried about when she saw them on the timetable, she's very blinkered in her thinking and always panics about things like this, she puts pressure on herself when it's not necessary but we've noticed she's getting better at coping so hopefully over the next few years she will develop skills to combat how she manages her anxiety. Thank you 🙂👍
Old 7 Jul 19, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellesdream
slightly serious Dibber

My daughter had a week transition last year and it was brilliant, really prepared her for September and she wasn't worried about starting.
I'm not sure about the tests as my daughter had CATs in september/October which they used as a marker and for sets for maths/languages.
Hope she has a wonderful transition and being there helps to reduce her anxiety.
Bellesdream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List