Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Jul 19, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
They could have.. you are showing official rates not what you would have got at the local travel money shop. I highly doubt anybody has a list of every single shop/bank and their rates over time.
If the lowest the pound reached at spot rate was $1.40 that's a heck of a bad exchange rate to get at a local shop.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

Last summer we managed to get half our currency at $1.42 and ended up with an overall rate of $1.35, year before it was $1.27 and we definitely felt poorer. Current rates are very depressing, but I'm sure there are people out there much worse off than us, at least my job isn't EU dependent - have mates who work for the ESA and aren't sure what to do when their contract ends. I think I'll wait it out and hope things improve before the end of August, when the Tory leadership nonsense is over I imagine there might be an improvement? Obviously it might get worse..
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
DurhamGirl
VIP Dibber

I got 1.2423 when I exchanged with Revolut yesterday. Its currently very slightly above that at the moment but the US markets won't have opened yet
DurhamGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by bighal View Post
They could have.. you are showing official rates not what you would have got at the local travel money shop. I highly doubt anybody has a list of every single shop/bank and their rates over time.
True. But if they went back to the same local travel money shop now (assuming it still exists) and got a rate that was more than 20 cents below the official rate like it was for them back in 2000, then they'd only get around $1 to the £ now. Parity with the dollar.

Which brings us back to the original post!

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Sometimes it feels like I'm in a surreal political comedy.

Reading a comment on BBC on a brexit related article talking about the EU's "lack of respect" for our decision to leave it. Thought my eyes were going to roll out of my head frankly. Yes, clearly it's the EU's fault for refusing to let us get a one sided deal. Also they are the ones flip-flopping, not us. Sure.

Wish the government would pick what to do and do it. Wish the tories would pick a leader! How much longer can we keep denying the inevitable and if it isn't inevitable then don't leave for goodness sake!

I got 3/4 of my money for next year a few months back at 1.295 so I'm not as exposed as I would have been, but considering I'm looking at Europe for my next holiday after 2020, it's not looking good for me. All this because Cameron wanted to unify his party behind him. That man has a lot to answer for.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR

Edited at 11:29 AM.
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
Sometimes it feels like I'm in a surreal political comedy.

Reading a comment on BBC on a brexit related article talking about the EU's "lack of respect" for our decision to leave it. Thought my eyes were going to roll out of my head frankly. Yes, clearly it's the EU's fault for refusing to let us get a one sided deal. Also they are the ones flip-flopping, not us. Sure.

Wish the government would pick what to do and do it. Wish the tories would pick a leader! How much longer can we keep denying the inevitable and if it isn't inevitable then don't leave for goodness sake!

I got 3/4 of my money for next year a few months back at 1.295 so I'm not as exposed as I would have been, but considering I'm looking at Europe for my next holiday after 2020, it's not looking good for me. All this because Cameron wanted to unify his party behind him. That man has a lot to answer for.
David Cameron walks away, head down then rakes in a fortune in public speaking. No one should pay to see a man who caused all this conflict. Him and Osborne had no back up plan, thought it was never going to happen, but hey ho someone else can sort out
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
I was in New York last week and, frankly, I just worked to a £1:$1 rate anyway.

Once sales tax has been added onto ticket prices, you're really not too far away from that.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by silverfox46 View Post
David Cameron walks away, head down then rakes in a fortune in public speaking. No one should pay to see a man who caused all this conflict. Him and Osborne had no back up plan, thought it was never going to happen, but hey ho someone else can sort out
I am sure many of you have seen the YouTube video of Cameron "living of his trust fund" to the tune of Shotgun, I wish I could download it, it's brilliant.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I am sure many of you have seen the YouTube video of Cameron "living of his trust fund" to the tune of Shotgun, I wish I could download it, it's brilliant.
Haha yes I’ve seen it, should be used on tv as a warning to all greedy self serving MP’S
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
the Pound is at its correct value wether we are in Europe or leaving. The dollar is really strong at the moment due to their booming economy.
If us economy dipped or went into recession the pound would bounce back. The world has had a long time to get use to brexit and to the real value of the pound. It’s still a 25% bonus for us brits to spend over there
If it were only to do with the strength of the dollar, explain its performance against the other currencies?

May 2016, pre-referendum

£1 = US$1.46
US$1 = Can$1.3
1Eur = US$1.11

Now

£1 - US$1.24
US$1 = Can$1.31
1Eur = US$1.12

The problem isn't a strong dollar - its value against Euro and Canadian Dollar (the place we're leaving and its nearest neighbour) is pretty much identical to three years ago.

The problem is the weak a$$ Pound.

The problem is Brexit uncertainty/lunacy (delete as to how polite one wants to be).

Edited at 12:27 PM.
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List