Notices
Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping Money Saving tips, UK shopping topics , discount links and offers.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Aug 14, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Aldi and lidl shoppers

Hi, I know quite a lot of people are starting to shop at these places and seem to be saving on their weekly shop so I would just like to know what products you buy from there and how much you save?
I currently spend well over £200 per week at tesco, this does include toilet rolls, nappies and washing powder though.
The kind of foods I buy are;
Chicken breasts (tesco have now reduced these, four small or three large breasts £4)
Rindless unsmoked bacon
Fish (salmon, cod)
Chicken thighs for curries etc
Beef for hot pot/casserole
Low fat beef mince, pork mince
Veg; asparagus , broccoli , butternut squash, onions
Rice crispier, cornflakes, oats so simple
Milk, bread, eggs, cheese, ham
Coffee, biscuits, walkers crisp, French fries
Sugar free jellys
Pineapple , Mellon, apples, bananas, plums, red grapefruit
Yogurts , low fat cottage cheese
Potatoes, rice (uncle bens microwave pouches)
These are my basic shop but I end up calling in everyday for fresh fruit and veg.
I need to reduce my bill as much as possible and I keep hearing that people save a fortune at aldi etc but what exactly do you buy? (We don't have frozen food, I tend to make everything from scratch so buy a lot of herbs, spices, etc)
Thanks
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 14, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Mobile

I buy less variety of meats than you but more of the same thing eg. Lean mince, chicken etc. Everything else is similar with exception of nappies, I spend around £80 per week.
August 2006 RPR & Rosen Plaza; August 2008 RPR & Regal Sun; August 2009 RPR & Buena Vista Palace; July/August 2010 RPR & SSR; July/August 2011 & 2012 Loews Miami Beach, RPR & SSR; 2013 SSR & RPR: 2014 Rosen Plaza, SSR & RPR; 2015 Renaissance, RPR & SSR;2016 Cabana Bay, SSR & RPR; 2018 CB, Portofino, SSR 2019 St Petes, Renaissance & SSR
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 14, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Had much the same list on Monday except nappies £72 I used to be £150/180 a week I now use their own soap powder DH is hyper sensitive but there's is fine there nappies are popular with the new mums in our family thing I can't get a monthly shop at tesco £40 /£50
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 14, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I do my complete shop at Aldi, have done for about 4 yrs now, we buy pretty much most things that are on your list. I do get my eggs free range from a farm though. I don't buy crisps as doing Slimming World, I get through at least 10 chicken breasts a week, gammon, mince and loads and loads of fresh fruit and veg (slimming world again), I'll have a look for my receipt from today, pussycat
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
llamala
Imagineer

You can buy all above at aldi and will be much cheaper, what we did was to buy some bits at aldi to try and just add more each time. They have a much better range than they used to years ago, we love their premium ice cream, yoghurts, cheese, pizza, good choice on basic fresh food with some unusual stuff periodically.
llamala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
stevekath
Imagineer

You'll get pretty much everything you have listed at Lidl and Aldi. We find their fresh fruit and veg is excellent, though our Lidl usually edges it slightly over Aldi on freshness of fruit & veg.
We find pretty much everything is of good quality and you will save a fortune. The last time we did a weekly shop at a big supermarket (about 4 years ago) we were spending £125-130 per week. We currently spend about £55 is Lidl or Aldi, then just get the few bits we can't get there at Tesco.
We would never go back to using to one of the big supermarkets for our main shop. The quality & prices at Lidl & Aldi are unbeatable, and the shop is much quicker

stevekath is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
cassieamber
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

everything that is on your list you will be able to get at aldi/lidl.

I'm saving about a third, sometimes more on my weekly shopping. why don't you give it a try for a week, i think you will be surprised.
cassieamber is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 14, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

I found it too quite a few visits to Aldi to build up the amount I bought, each time I went I tried out something new - so far there has been nothing I have not liked as much or even more than tesco. Their meat is very cheap and really really good quality, also use the washing powder, like their crisps better than walkers - I buy the smoky bacon. The yoghurts are nice, grated cheese much better than tesco, sandwich meat is nice, the selection of fruit is not as good as the big supermarkets, but the quality is good. The only thing I have not been as happy with is the bread/rolls.
sam7 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 14, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

I get almost everything from either Aldi or Lidl. When I started shopping there I vowed to try their version of brands at least once and there is very little I haven't liked and wouldn't buy again.

I used to spend at least £80 a week on a small Asda shop. Now I spend about £50 at one of the budget supermarkets.

Another plus is that they are so much smaller and I can be in and out in about 20mins.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 14, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Ok, here's my receipt from earlier on!

Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread