Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 Sep 19, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
wdw1991
Imagineer

Mobile Starting to get anxious about flying with 11.5month old

As the title really, as the days get closer I’m starting to ask myself what we were thinking. We have bulkhead baby position seats with BA. Currently the 3rd seat is empty but I’m sure it’ll get occupied and I’m already worrying about what that person sitting there is going to think as I’m sure my little one is not going to be an angel for 9 hours!
wdw1991 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
screwy55
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

It's good that you are worried as it shows you care but...………...I wouldn't be worried at all. Flights are full of people from every walk of life, size, shape, age etc and that includes toddlers and babies.

I am sure you will do you best to minimise any potential impact on others but babies are babies - sometimes noisy!

We took an 18 month old to Florida and were fine.

Have a great trip.
screwy55 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
wdw1991
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by screwy55 View Post
It's good that you are worried as it shows you care but...………...I wouldn't be worried at all. Flights are full of people from every walk of life, size, shape, age etc and that includes toddlers and babies.

I am sure you will do you best to minimise any potential impact on others but babies are babies - sometimes noisy!

We took an 18 month old to Florida and were fine.

Have a great trip.
Thank you for your message. Exactly, we are as prepared as we can be. Toys etc got to think of the holiday at the other end when it’s testing!
wdw1991 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Battery Chicken
Proud to wear my Ears

Please don't worry. I am sure most people will sympathise. I always feel sorry for people travelling with tots who are having a hard time.
We really need to be more tolerant as a society. Stay calm and ignore everyone round about you and concentrate on keeping your wee one settled.

Most of us have been in the same or similar position so can relate. Anyone who does tut or makes remarks should just be ignored as at the end of the day you want an easy journey too and are not setting out to upset anyone.

Good luck 😀
Battery Chicken is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
wdw1991
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Battery Chicken View Post
Please don't worry. I am sure most people will sympathise. I always feel sorry for people travelling with tots who are having a hard time.
We really need to be more tolerant as a society. Stay calm and ignore everyone round about you and concentrate on keeping your wee one settled.

Most of us have been in the same or similar position so can relate. Anyone who does tut or makes remarks should just be ignored as at the end of the day you want an easy journey too and are not setting out to upset anyone.

Good luck 😀
Thank you 😊
Old 26 Sep 19, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
holidayforever
Serious Dibber

Try and give a drink as the plane is taking off and landing as a bottle would be good the sucking helps the ears to pop otherwise can get a bit of pain in ears .
holidayforever is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Lifeisforliving
Earning My Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by holidayforever View Post
Try and give a drink as the plane is taking off and landing as a bottle would be good the sucking helps the ears to pop otherwise can get a bit of pain in ears .
What about using headphones? Would they help? My son will be 2 when we fly x
Lifeisforliving is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Wilki
Gone all Goofy

Mobile

We’ll be taking a 9 month old next September (he’s my daughters, due in December) and if I’m honest not too worried as most people have their headphones on and don’t really hear a thing. When we took our 16 month old granddaughter, as previous poster said, take toys, visual aids etc. I was the designated settler and just went for a walk carrying her up and down the plane and it didn’t fail to settle her. Might help that I have a bald head and most babies get confused that I’m a huge baby that can walk! 😂
Wilki is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

My daughter was exactly that age when she first flew, and like you I was apprehensive about the journey and how she would cope with it. When we boarded (the first of 3 flights, the third of which was a 12 hour transatlantic flight) I remember feeling people's eyes on us; you could almost see them thinking 'please don't sit anywhere near us'... My daughter was a serial sleep-resister and we were preparing for a very long 24 hour journey. To our surprise, something about the noise of the engines was clearly very soothing to her, and she fell asleep before we took off! Second flight of the day, and again, asleep for the best part of the flight. Then our third leg of the journey she just spent some time taking it all in, people watching etc. And then fell asleep again. We couldn't believe it and everybody sitting in the vicinity kept commenting on 'how good she was'. On our return journey she didn't sleep quite so much, but still seemed to enjoy herself and her surroundings.

The real problem was the hideous jet lag she experienced in between
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Yorkie Girl
Imagineer

Yorkie Girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
OP, I’ll be awaiting your review as we are taking our 11month old in a couple of months and I’m starting to worry now (we have her on our lap the full time, as we have just changed flights from TC to VA). I’m sure you’ll be fine though xx
Yorkie Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List